My sewing machine is certainly earning its keep this week! I finished two new outfits for my girls in the last couple of days. I am calling them their Pebbles outfits, because the zebra print makes me think of the Flintstones.
I drafted the pattern for Charlotte’s skirt completely on my own: a first for me! I knew in making a skirt using this funky fabric that I wanted to include a scallop edge and a sassy tulle ruffle of some sort, so I set to work in creating exactly what I had in mind. It was really fun, and I can’t wait to try my hand at coming up with more original patterns in the future!
For Cecily’s pants, I used the Jackie Clark Britches and Bloomers pattern, which has become one of my favorites for baby boys or girls. (Actually, each of the Jackie Clark patterns I have used has been terrific. I used her baby overalls pattern to make these overalls for Cecily, and I was very pleased with how easily they came together.) The pants are constructed with just two fabric panels (aside from the pockets and ruffles/cuffs), which makes constructing them a breeze, even for beginners. Even with three little monkeys to contend with, I think total time to make them was about and hour and a half. Not too shabby!
(Incidentally, it is very hard to get good photos of an outfit on a squirmy 4-month-old!!)
For each of the coordinating t-shirts, I put my Cricut and Sure Cuts A Lot software to good use to cut out the initials for each. I had never tried using my bug to cut out fabric before, but I will certainly do so again. I always love finding new ways to use old tools!
The bow shown in the pictures is one I made with ribbon to match the skirts. I bought the headband Cecily is wearing at Target, and I sewed two button holes in it to feed the alligator clamp of the bow through so she can wear the same bows as her big sis. It makes things much easier!
It is a cold one here today, so I think I am going to see if my oldest two want to join me in the kitchen for some cozy baking time!