May 18, 2010

Felt bird sachets

These little guys make me smile. The bright, happy colors infuse any decor with fun energy, just like they did the food table at the Little Bird Baby Shower I shared about yesterday. The best part is, they are incredibly easy to put together! Each requires only minimal amounts of felt and embroidery thread, along with a button from your stash and a bit of cotton batting. Oh – and a dryer sheet! Surely I can’t be the only one who uses dryer sheets as cost-effective air fresheners (they are terrific stashed under seats in cars and in dresser drawers), so when I starting pondering what to use to make these little birds smell as sweet as can be without the lumpiness of potpourri, I immediately thought of using sections cut from dryer sheets to do the job. They work beautifully, and you can determine the strength of the fragrance of your sachet simply by adding more or fewer sections, depending upon your preference.

Supplies:
Bird Sachet Template {{click here to download}}
Felt in assorted colors (the brighter the better!)
Coordinating embroidery thread
Embroidery needle
Buttons
Cotton batting
Dryer sheets

To begin, print and cut out your templates and use them to cut out your felt pieces: 2 bird bodies and 1 heart wing for each sachet you are making.

A few project notes:

• I absolutely, positively recommend using the yummy dryer sheets made by Mrs. Meyers. The geranium scent is particularly decadent!
  • Anna Maria Horner has a fabulous blanket stitch tutorial on her blog in case you need a bit of help along the way!
  • These little jewels would be perfect to lend a homey, personal feel to a wrapped gift. Or, why not tuck one in your lingerie drawer to greet you each morning, or perhaps place one in your car to make you smile the next time you’re stuck in traffic?
  • Creating a fun bird sachet garland would be the perfect addition to a baby’s nursery. Hung near a diaper pail, what a darling odor neutralizer that would be!
Stay tuned for the shower recipes I promised yesterday!
Given the topic of this particular post, my timing for announcing that Positively Splendid is now on Twitter couldn’t possible be more appropriate! (And I didn’t even plan it that way!) I’ve added a link in the sidebar and also in this post below. I would love for you to follow me for up-to-the-minute updates on projects and other fun information. See you there!

Happy Tuesday!

Please take a moment to stop by these terrific parties where I’ll be sharing this project…
Market Yourself Monday at Sumo’s Sweet Stuff
Take-A-Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee – Craft Edition
Sew Cute Tuesday at Creative Itch
DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land
Get Your Craft On at Today’s Creative Blog
Be Inspired at Room to Inspire
Show and Tell Day at Blue Cricket Design
We Did It! Wednesday at Sew Much Ado
Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts

*******************************************************************
If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to Positively Splendid
to receive updates, and join us on Facebook and Twitter!

Subscribe in a Reader Receive Email Updates Follow on TwitterJoin us on Facebook
*******************************************************************

20 Responses to Felt bird sachets

1. Jenni R. May 18, 2010 at 12:25 pm #

Hi Amy: They are SO CUTE! Thanks for a great tutorial and links. I’m thinking these might be the ornaments I make for a more whimsical Christmas tree!

2. gnee May 18, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

Amy, these make me sing! They are just so cute and I think it would make me smile each time I open my drawer:) Thanks so much!

3. Amy May 18, 2010 at 12:48 pm #

Amy those are too cute! The colors are perfect!

4. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} May 18, 2010 at 1:04 pm #

I’m loving the dryer sheet idea. Great tutorial!

5. Jen May 18, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

Those are adorable. I admire anyone that is crafty and can sew things. I so wish that I that talent.

Stopped by from SITS to say hi and welcome. :)

6. Blessed Mommy of 2 May 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm #

Super cute! Loved the shower pics too! Thanks for the tutorial. I think the christmas ornament idea is also a great use for these! =)

7. Diane May 18, 2010 at 5:58 pm #

What a cute idea! Love those sachets.

Thanks for visiting me over at Pittypat Paperie. Come again anytime. Diane

8. Laura Ingalls Gunn May 18, 2010 at 6:18 pm #

Oh what a fantastic DIY project. You are one clever and creative gal.

I finally finished a project I have been working on for 23 years.

Pop on by.

9. Sarah May 18, 2010 at 7:12 pm #

Fabulous! Totally Love it. I love handmade projects whether its crafts, food, and anything else!

10. Holly May 19, 2010 at 4:52 am #

These are too cute. I loved them with the shower but see so many ways they could be used.

11. Al May 19, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

Love the project and thanks for the dryer sheet tip

12. Misty May 19, 2010 at 4:17 pm #

These are adorable!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch’s “Sew Cute Tuesday”!

13. Just One Week May 20, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

Love these! I’m hosting a bird themed baby shower soon and they seem perfect!

But how long do they take? I’m kind of on the “buy from Etsy instead of doing it yourself” bandwagon right now!

Stopping by to welcome you to SITS!

14. Crafty Batches May 20, 2010 at 9:51 pm #

I love these little birds, such a great idea for a shower! Thank you so much for stopping by today. ~Andrea

15. Room to Inspire May 25, 2010 at 8:55 pm #

These are just too cute! And I love the dryer sheet idea. Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired last week.

Chelsea

16. jaki June 3, 2010 at 12:06 pm #

Hi Amy, I love these little birds and your tiered planter, I hope you don’t mind if I follow you on twitter :)

17. Mixed Kreations March 11, 2012 at 11:49 am #

These are really cute. Putting a dryer sheet inside is a great ideal. I think they would make adorable ornaments too. Thank you for sharing.
    Linda @ Mixed Kreations

18. Mixed Kreations March 11, 2012 at 11:49 am #

This comment has been removed by the author.

1. Blog Feature: Positively Splendid | Stubbornly Crafty - March 20, 2013

[…] is a tutorial included on this one too. And ya’ll know my obsession with birds. Well these bird sachets just send my heart aflutter. So cute. She also has many recipes that I have saved in my […]

2. Valentine Mantel | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 5, 2014

[…] Christmas mantel display with a clear glass holder to lighten things up a bit.   These little felt bird sachets were some that I created for a bird-themed baby shower I hosted a couple of years go. I thought […]