October 2, 2013

Rustic-Luxe Holiday Mantel (HGTV Holiday House Mantel Blogger Challenge!)

Friends, there are some projects that I work on behind the scenes here at Positively Splendid that it takes all I can muster to keep a secret. Today happens to be a very special day when I get to finally share the very exciting details about one such project!

Over the summer, I was approached by Jo-Ann and HGTV with an amazing opportunity to create a mantelscape for a friendly contest with four other amazing bloggers, the winner of which would have the opportunity to see her design featured in this year’s HGTV Holiday House. When I received that call, I was obviously over-the-moon excited, and honored to be in the midst of so many other talented designers. There was only one teeny, tiny problem: since the contest happened to fall in the midst of our cross-country move from Tennessee to Texas, I didn’t have a mantel at that point to decorate. Fortunately, my gracious sister-in-law allowed me to descend upon her home on a sweltering Texas summer day, Christmas decorations and glue gun in hand, to turn her living room fireplace into a veritable winter wonderland!

Over the course of the next two weeks, HGTV is giving YOU the chance to give your input on which of the five mantel designs is your favorite, and then one of the lucky designers will see her design come to life in the 2013 HGTV Holiday House. Incredible, right?! Ready to get the full tour of the design I came up with to add to the mix? Today I am going to share the full reveal of the my rustic-luxe holiday mantel, and then over at Made + Remade, I will share the how-to’s for many of the projects incorporated into the design. Let’s get to it!

Rustic & Luxe Holiday Mantel at Positively Splendid. Part of the HGTV Holiday House Mantel Blogger Design Challenge!

Modern, traditional and homespun elements all coalesce in my rustic holiday mantel design, which represents a fresh take on a mainstay of holiday decorating. By juxtaposing numerous textures and mediums, this mantel display imparts a luxe yet masculine feel to holiday décor.

Rich earth tones coupled with on-trend metallic hues provide the palette for this mantelscape, which features a swag of fresh greenery as its backbone, peppered with natural pine cones woven grapevine balls. A set of faux antlers further enhances the natural feel of the display.

Taking center stage are three topiary trees, created using Styrofoam cone bases, assorted fringe trim, and wood finials.

Flanking the topiaries are sequined decorative balls that mimic the natural beauty of iridescent Capiz shells.

A simple feather boa swag is the backdrop for handmade matelassé stockings with faux fur trim and a lavish sateen bow in robin’s egg blue.

A spray of earth-toned feathers with a single peacock plume imparts a sophisticated touch.

Rounding out the display are three decorations crafted with handmade felt star ornaments and small grapevine wreaths. The ornaments spell out a word befitting of the season: Joy.

The complete tutorials for the topiary trees, the faux Capiz shell balls, and the felt star and grapevine wreath ornaments are featured on Made + Remade, so be sure to check them out!

And while you’re there, if you would leave some comment love for my project, it would mean the world to me! :)

Later this month, HGTV will announce the winner of the Mantel Design Challenge when they roll out the full reveal Holiday House, which is going to be absolutely stunning, inside and out! Some of the most talented designers around have worked hard to fill the home to the brim with inspiring holiday ideas. You won’t want to miss it!

With the advent of October, holiday crafting is upon us. Thank you so much for making PS a part of your 2013 crafting season!

, ,

21 Responses to Rustic-Luxe Holiday Mantel (HGTV Holiday House Mantel Blogger Challenge!)

1. Richella @ Imparting Grace October 1, 2013 at 6:45 am #

CONGRATULATIONS, Amy!! I am so glad and proud for you! Your amazing skills, along with your kind spirit, make you the perfect person for this honor. And the fact that you were able to do this at your sister’s house in the middle of summer, when you were busy with your big cross-country move? That’s all the more testimony to your creativity. You’re an amazing woman, and you did a great job with this mantel. I look forward to seeing all the how-to’s.

2. Joan Kriete October 2, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

This is just beautiful! I love it all…the lanterns in that patina blue and the styrofoam trees with finials and trim!!

I just love all the ideas! Great JOB!!!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid October 2, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Thank you so very much, Joan!

3. TJ Cochran October 2, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

Very pretty. I would love to know where to locate some of those antlers. Love the JOY ornaments!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid October 2, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Hi, TJ! The antlers are something I have had in my collection for some time. They are becoming ever more popular, though, so you might look at many home decor stores (Home Goods comes to mind) to see if you can grab some of your own. :)

4. Janet Egan October 2, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

I love the unique aspect of your mantel decor, the blending of colors and texture is lovely:)

• Amy @ Positively Splendid October 2, 2013 at 9:26 pm #

Thank you so much! This design was outside of my typical vibrant motif, but I was so pleased with how it turned out. :)

5. Kathy E. October 2, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

I left some “comment love” for you! I really love this design and it IS the best one in the contest!
    It’s amazing what you did in the heat of the summer and in the heat of a major family move!
    Hope you win!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid October 2, 2013 at 9:26 pm #

Thank you so very much. I so appreciate it!

6. Kelly Dixon October 2, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Simply STUNNING!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid October 2, 2013 at 9:25 pm #

Thank you, sweet Kelly! :)

7. cynthia October 16, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

Your mantel was so pretty and unique !Loved it!

8. Dana@chocolateandsunshine October 16, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

Amy,
    I can’t believe you made topiaries out of fringe!! Well, yes. if anybody can, it’s you!!! I’ve been following you for awhile now and always love it when I see your posts on FB as I’m amazed at what your creative mind can conjure up!

The colors you selected are unusual for Christmas, but have such a warmth and glimmer to them. I especially enjoy the rustic touches included, i.e. the antlers. I’ll pin your photos, too!!

Congratulations to you!!!

9. Jennifer Priest October 16, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

Congrats! This is gorgeous!

10. Jerry Beavers October 16, 2013 at 6:58 pm #

Beautiful. Congratulations. I love the color combination.

11. Josette January 26, 2014 at 6:57 pm #

Thanks for finally talking about >Rustic Holiday Mantel | Positively Splendid Crafts,
    Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor <Liked it!

12. Audrea January 29, 2014 at 6:00 am #

whoah this blog is fantastic i really like reading your articles.
    Stay up the great work! You recognize, many people are looking around for this info, you
    could help them greatly.

1. Three beautiful, Christmas mantels with lots of DIY holiday decorating ideas | Crafts 'n Coffee - November 13, 2013

[…] about this amazing Rustic-Luxe Holiday Mantel from Amy at Positively Splendid? I had the pleasure of meeting Amy at the 2013 CHA Show, and she is just delightful. I was not […]

2. Twig and Pine Cone Wreath | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - November 25, 2013

[…] wreath is designed to coordinate beautifully with my rustic-luxe holiday mantel design, which was the winner of of the HGTV Blogger Mantel […]

3. Felt Star Christmas Ornament | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - November 27, 2013

[…] ornaments made an appearance in my Rustic Holiday Mantel. I created three ornaments to spell out a word truly befitting of the season: […]

4. 25 Stunning Mantel Decoration Ideas for Christmas - December 2, 2013

[…] Rustic Christmas Mantel Love these old school style decorations! source @ positivelysplendid […]