Completely by accident, I found myself gravitating toward a bee theme in the nursery. My inspiration came from the fact that we didn’t know what baby George was going to “bee” until the day of his arrival, and I thought a bee motif would work regardless of whether the baby turned out to be a boy or a girl.
The first project I completed with a bee theme was the Honeycomb Alphabet Sampler, and yesterday I shared the Bee Happy Pillow I created to coordinate with the crib bedding. Today I’m sharing the honeycomb lamp I created for the space using an old lamp base I had in storage in our garage and a new drum lampshade I purchased for around $10 at Target.
If you’ve never tried your hand at updating a lamp, you really should. This type of project is so simple to do, and the results are always so dynamic!
To create the honeycomb motif on the lampshade, I used my Silhouette to cut hexagon outlines from contact paper. I then adhered the hexagons to the shade in a grid pattern. After that, I sprayed the shade with three light coats of Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze. I have to thank the uber talented Emily from Decor Chick for giving me the idea to spray paint lampshades. I don’t know why it had never occurred to me to try this before! The little black vinyl bee I cut out using my Silhouette was a last-minute addition, but I really love how it sets things off!
And that’s all there was to it!
What started as this sad little lamp base…
…and a plain white drum lampshade I purchased at Target…
I love it!
Many of y’all have asked when or if I’ll be sharing a full tour of the nursery. I am in the process of putting that post together now, so you can look forward to the full nursery tour first thing Monday morning!
Oh – and a little birdie told me that if you love the fabrics I used in the nursery bedding, you might need to makes plans to stop by for tomorrow’s giveaway. Just sayin’. 🙂
Happy weekend eve, my friends!
If You Liked This, You Might Also Be Interested In: