May 9, 2011

Sidewalk Chalk Paint (SSG Idea #7)

Among the ranks of the women I am honored to call my blogging buddies, Kelli from Random Thoughts of a SUPERMOM! is always the girl who comes through with seriously stellar ideas to keep kids entertained! She never ceases to impress! She is here today sharing an ingenious idea for making your very own sidewalk paint. Take it away, Kelli!

***

Hi! My name is Kelli and most days you can find me blogging at Random Thoughts of a SUPERMOM! I am so excited to be here on Positively Splendid today! Thanks so much for having me over Amy!

RandomThoughtsofaSUPERMOM
I am a wife and stay at home mom of three boys. I love to be crafty, make yummy {and SUPER fun} food, share pictures of my cute boys, and blog about the every day happenings of my life as a SUPERMOM!

***********************

Today I am sharing a fun outdoor activity that your kiddos are going to love! Sidewalk Chalk Paint.

We love regular chalk at our house. It’s relatively cheap, not too messy, and it is the perfect outdoor activity! Basically the kids love chalk because it’s fun and I love chalk because they are making a mess outside and not inside:) What I don’t love about chalk are all the little broken pieces that pile up after a few weeks of use. I hate to throw them away, but they are just too small to use without scraping your fingers on the concrete!

Instead of throwing them out, we are going to turn those broken piece of chalk into paint! Start by sorting your chalk by color. This is a great teaching activity for any kiddo who is working on learning their colors.
Put each individual color into a zippered bag.
Seal up the bag and then break up the chalk using a small hammer. This should be done by an adult or a {very} well supervised child. Try and break the chalk into a fine powder to make you paint as smooth as possible.
One you have your powdered chalk, pour each color into small plastic cups.
Add a little water.
And stir around with a paint brush to dissolve the chalk powder. We used some inexpensive art brushes that are now our chalk paint brushes:) All of the chalk powder may not dissolve, but your paint should still work fine.

Use a different brush for each color and then let the kiddos get busy making art on your sidewalk. The colors may be hard to see at first, but as soon as they start to dry the individual colors will show up well!

The best part about chalk paint is that if someones spills it, it isn’t a big deal because all you need is a water hose to clean up the mess!
And that is how you turn broken chalk pieces into a ton of summer fun!

***
Seriously – how smart is that idea? We have so many bits and pieces of sidewalk chalk that will be perfect for this! A huge thanks to Kelli for stopping in to share her tip!

19 Responses to Sidewalk Chalk Paint (SSG Idea #7)

1. Rutheah Rodehorst May 9, 2011 at 6:12 pm #

can’t wait to try this with my little munchkins! awesome idea!

2. Deb May 9, 2011 at 9:59 pm #

What fun…mine are not little anymore but I remember the hours we spent in the driveway doing ART! I will pass the trick on to my friends with little ones! Happy drawing :)

3. Kelli @ RTSM May 10, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

Amy thanks so much for letting me share this fun summer activity on your blog! I can’t wait to see all the other ideas over the next few weeks!

4. Heather May 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

We have so much sidewalk chalk…I think my art loving daughter would enjoy this one! Thanks!

5. Amanda @ Serenity Now May 10, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

Kelli is the queen of great kid crafts/activities! This is a good one. An awesome use for all those broken up bits of chalk we have laying around!

6. Kelly May 11, 2011 at 12:13 am #

This looks like a lot of fun! I’ll have to add it to our “Summer bucket list”.

7. silentai. May 11, 2011 at 5:29 am #

love this!!!! definitely going to do this with my little girl who loooves sidewalk chalk…! (:

8. Heather Bea June 15, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

Way to waste not, want not! We’ll be making chalk paint soon!

9. Momma Hughes June 15, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

10. Miranda June 15, 2011 at 10:21 pm #

Great tip!!

11. Alice June 15, 2011 at 11:27 pm #

Finally, something to do with all those leftover nubs of sidewalk chalk. I’ve been saving them up for something…THIS, only I didn’t know it! Thanks for the idea.

12. Terri June 16, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

I love this idea. I just picked up a ton of little pieces yesterday and now I can do something with them and my son will love painting. Thank you so much. :)

13. Judy June 16, 2011 at 3:21 pm #

What a great idea…wish I had seen this last summer before I got rid of all the little chalk chunks :). You can also make sidewalk paint out of cornstarch and water which my boys loved doing :).

14. Carrie H June 16, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

I can’t wait to try this! I’m going to add it to my list of “Friday’s Finds”, where I list my favorite finds of the week on my blog. Thanks for sharing this idea!

15. Natalie June 16, 2011 at 10:17 pm #

I love this and can not wait to give it a try!!!

16. oh amanda {impress your kids} June 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

Love this! Making it with the kids today! :)

17. Rocco Lee April 2, 2012 at 2:03 am #

A well done design for the front pavement. It adds a little touch of fun and creativity for the pavement.
    concrete perth

18. Rhiannon October 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

love this, thank you for sharning. We got some crayola sidewalk paint as a gift and my son loved it but I didnt want to buy more for him, he uses it up quickly. I wondered how easy it would be to MAKE it and here it is!! Thanks again for sharing

1. 10 Ways to Celebrate the First Day of Summer - February 12, 2013

[…] Create a welcome summer sidewalk or driveway mural with homemade sidewalk chalk paint :: Positively […]