May 10, 2011

Sponge Water Bombs (SSG Idea #8)

Positively Splendid

I had the pleasure of meeting Allison from House of Hepworths at Blissdom in January, and I am delighted she’s joining in the Summer Survival Guide fun to share this easy tutorial for creating Sponge Water Bombs! Wouldn’t these be perfect for an outdoor party or a day at the pool?

***
Hey Positively Splendid Fans! I’m Allison of House of Hepworths and I’m so excited to be a part of the Summer Survival Guide!

When I think of summer, I think of two things: HOT and “Ohmygoshhh, the kids are going to be home for how many months?”. What better way to survive the Heat and the Kids then with WATER!

sponge_water_bombs_HoH_13

Sponge Water Bombs are a favorite summer must have here at the Hepworth house. In fact, my kids love them so much we actually keep a set in the bathtub year round!

Nothing beats a hot day like a good ol’ fashioned Water Fight, and these Sponge Bombs are sure to get everyone good and wet!

These fun Sponge Water Bombs are so easy to make you won’t even believe your eyes. All you need are sponges, a pair of scissors, and fishing line.

sponge_water_bombs_HoH_01

I found them at Target, but I’ve seen them everywhere from the Grocery Store to the Dollar Store. Just make sure you don’t get ones with a scrubber on one side – Ouch!

sponge_water_bombs_HoH_15

sponge_water_bombs_HoH_16

sponge_water_bombs_HoH_17

sponge_water_bombs_HoH_12

Even cleanup is a cinch. Just stuff them in a mesh or linen bag and hang to dry. And if by chance they get dirty, just wash them in your washing machine and set or hang them out to dry.

sponge_water_bombs_HoH_14

Have a fun, wet and wild summer!

sponge_water_bombs_HoH_13

Thanks, Amy, for inviting me to share a fun summer idea with your readers!

***

Thanks so much to Allison for stopping in to share this terrific idea!

18 Responses to Sponge Water Bombs (SSG Idea #8)

1. The Yellow Cape Cod May 10, 2011 at 11:52 am #

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I can’t wait to make these!

2. Jessabells May 10, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

Great idea! My son will love this. He’ll probably pretend they are grenades. lol. He’s on a solider in war kick right now. lol. Thanks for sharing.

3. Brandy May 10, 2011 at 1:28 pm #

This came out in the Family Fun magazine a couple of years ago and have been a summer staple in our house ever since!

4. Tina May 10, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

I am SO making these for my children’s ministry this summer! Our kick-off party is going to be a water day! These are great!

5. Kelli @ RTSM May 10, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

Such a fun idea! I’m sure my boys would love these!

6. Heather May 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

Such a cute idea…way better than water balloons. Might have to give this one a try…hopefully my kids won’t try too hard to take each other out! ;)

7. Steph @ Crafting in the Rain May 10, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

Never seen these before, but they look perfect, as my youngest is 2 :)

8. Robin Elise Weiss May 27, 2011 at 2:33 am #

Not to sound stupid, but how many do you need and how do the logistics work.

9. threeongrove.com June 10, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

That is the best idea! And so cute too! I will be making these today! Thanks!

10. Chessa June 11, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

Cute idea. A fun craft to make with boys!

11. Dee June 20, 2011 at 12:22 am #

I just made these -so easy!! I used my daughters nylon hair elastics from when she was a baby and it was soo fast. We had a blast playing with these – my kids are 3.5 and they really had fun getting mom and dad with these too!

12. Christy July 22, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

I love this idea! :) Perfect on a 100+ degree day like today!

13. Jamie @ hands on : as we grow August 2, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

I love this sponge bombs! We have a few of them made up that we use as paint brushes around here – but I can’t wait to soak them up now! I featured this idea in a roundup of ideas to Beat the Heat!

14. Natalie (Magistrale) Taylor June 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

i borrowed dee’s idea and used the small clear hair bands we use for braids… worked perfectly!

15. Tamarah May 23, 2013 at 9:29 am #

WOW! I am running a festival in a park that does not allow water balloons…and I have two awesome water balloon slings gathering dust. Sponge Ball Battle will be a hit this year. THANKS!

16. Stepford Sisters July 22, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Absolutely love this! We featured it on our blog for our favorite summertime crafts here: http://stepford-sisters.blogspot.com/2013/07/5-summertime-crafts.html

1. Sponge Balls - All Our Days - June 24, 2013

[...] discovered these Sponge Bombs on Pinterest a few weeks ago and quickly added them to my Outdoor Fun Board and my mental list of [...]

2. Showcase: Summer Inspirations | Simple Kids - October 7, 2013