July 25, 2011

Flip Recipe Organizer Tutorial

With school days just around the corner (my son starts kindergarten one week from today – sniffs!), I am sure many of us can relate to the fact that sometimes meal planning can become a real burden during the everyday hustle and bustle. This flip recipe organizer is designed to keep recipes organized so that meal prep takes as little guesswork as possible!
Ready to see how to put this together? Let’s get started!

For this project, you will need…

(1) 5×7″ clear acrylic frame
Painter’s or masking tape
A drill with 1/8″ drill bit
Double-sided patterned paper
Additional patterned paper, letter stickers, rub-ons, and other scrapbooking embellishments
Paper adhesive roller
Paper trimmer
Single hole punch
(2) metal book binding rings
Computer and printer
step 1 / Place a strip of tape on the front and back top edge of your frame. Carefully drill holes 3/4″ down from the top and 1-1/4″ in from each outer edge of your frame. (The tape will minimize the splintering that happens as you do this.)
step 2 / Cut a piece of your double-sided patterned paper that is 5×7″. Embellish the lower front portion of this piece as desired using your scrapbooking supplies.
 step 3 / Print off your recipe cards, and fill out a number of them with your favorite quick-fix meals. Also print off a number of extra cards (I recommend providing enough cards for at least two weeks’ worth of meals). Trim your cards down with your paper trimmer, and punch holes using the placement guides provided on the cards. Slip your finished embellished paper piece into your frame, making sure it is precisely centered within your frame. Mark the location of the two drilled holes onto your paper, and punch holes at these locations. Replace your paper into your frame, and feed your book binding rings through your drilled holes. Slip your recipe cards onto your rings. You are finished!

As you can see below, the back of the frame is the perfect place to store recipe cards that aren’t in use. If you prefer, you can also use your own recipe cards with this organizer by punching holes 2-1/2″ inches apart on their top edge. Easy peasy!

Have a great week, everyone!

Skip to My Lou
Home Stories A to Z
Today’s Creative Blog
Tip Junkie
Blue Cricket Design
Somewhat Simple
Tatertots and Jello

21 Responses to Flip Recipe Organizer Tutorial

1. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} July 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

Such a fun idea, Amy! I am seriously trying to get our meals organized around here. Hopefully before I start back to work in a couple of days! I may have to implement something like this into my plans.

2. Amy July 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

Such a cute idea!!! So creative! I might have to try this soon!

3. storycrafting July 25, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

What a perfect (and cute!) way to stay organized!

4. mom2amanda July 25, 2011 at 7:17 pm #

Such a great idea!!!

5. S Club Mama July 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

wow this is so fantastic, I’m printing my cards right now. Need to get a clipboard. wow

6. Finding Charm July 26, 2011 at 12:52 am #

Great! I just pinned it.

7. Laura July 26, 2011 at 3:03 am #

I LOVE this idea ~ I can use it for recipes and so much more. I’m pinning it and will definitely be making one soon.

Thanks so much for sharing.

8. Laura @ Laura's Crafty Life July 26, 2011 at 3:24 am #

Great idea!

9. Kara @ Nest Candy July 26, 2011 at 3:29 am #

This is a fantastic idea! Thank you so much for the great tutorial. :)

10. Maria July 26, 2011 at 7:09 am #

This is an awesome idea, I’m always looking for a way to organize my recipes. Love it!

11. Maggie July 26, 2011 at 7:18 am #

what a perfect way to keep those recipes and using your scrapbook stash, my fav combo..

I’m inviting you to add this to our linking party at
    Have a great weekend,
    Maggie

12. Karima July 26, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

What a lovely idea thanks for sharing, now following you via fb,google and pinterest, Karima x http://www.karimascrafts.com

13. Laura Ingalls Gunn July 26, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

I am visiting via Today’s Creative Blog.

This is a fantastic project! Thank you for sharing.

Happy Tuesday!

14. Kelli @ RTSM July 30, 2011 at 1:58 am #

Amy this is such a cute idea! I wish I was that organized with my meals! I bet it would make life a lot easier when sdhool starts back:)

15. Rach H July 30, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

Oh my goodness, I love this idea so much. I also love your blog so much!!! You’re so organized and its a pretty place to visit.

I would LOVE for you to link this up at my Link Party, Once Upon a Weekend on my blog Family Ever After. The party starts on Fridays and lasts all week.

Here’s the link if you’re interested:www.familyeverafter.blogspot.com

Also, if you have a list of favorite link parties, I’d love to be included on Fridays. Thanks a ton! Have an awesome day!!!

16. Jenn July 30, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

I LOVE this idea!!

17. Sarah@totalbassetcase August 2, 2011 at 1:43 am #

Well this is just too cute! Great idea!

18. Laura September 15, 2011 at 3:39 am #

Just stopping back to let you know I followed your great tutorial to make a Birthday Countdown Stand for my daughter. It was really simple and she loves it.

Thanks so much for the great idea.

1. Sliding Door Gift Card Holders | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - October 22, 2012

[...] Flip Recipe Organizer [...]

2. 12 Last-Minute Handmade Mothers’ Day Gift Ideas | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - May 6, 2013

[...] Flip Recipe Organizer [...]

3. Family Recipe Cards - November 13, 2013

[…] Flip Recipe Organizer If you’re starting out with just a few family favorite recipes, this flip recipe organizer is both cute and quick to make and is certain to be a helpful sous-chef. […]