August 15, 2011

Ceiling Medallion Wall Clock Tutorial

I have recently been sprucing up my kitchen decor (more on that to come tomorrow), and in doing so, I knew I wanted to include a large wall clock in the display. One of my current color crazes is metallic copper (something that started with my Faux Hammered Copper project here), and in creating my clock, I knew I wanted that color to come into prominent play. Today I’m going to share a tutorial for how to create this deceptively easy wall clock using a ceiling medallion. All set to see how it’s done? Let’s get started!

For this project, you will need…

A 16-inch ceiling medallion (found in the lighting section of your home improvement store)
Clock movement set (found in craft stores)
1 7-inch beveled wood plaque
Fine-grit sand paper
Power drill and bit
Spray primer (optional) and paint
Adhesive vinyl and die cutting machine (I used my Silhouette)
3/4″ wood spools
Heavy-duty glue (I like E6000)

step 1 / Mark the center of your wood plaque. Drill a small guide hole through your center mark using a small bit. (This will keep your drill from bouncing around when you drill your final hole.) Using a bit large enough to accommodate your clock movement (I used a 1/4″ bit), drill a hole through your plaque. Sand your plaque smooth, if necessary. Spray with primer, if desired, and allow to dry before spraying with your desired shade of paint. Set plaque aside to dry completely. If you wish, spray paint your clock hands and allow them to dry completely.

step 2 / Use your die cutter to cut numbers from your vinyl. (If you don’t own a cutting machine, you can use stencils and paint or pre-cut vinyl stickers, found in most craft stores.) Adhere the numbers to your clock face, making sure to carefully position them in just the right place. I chose to place numbers only at 12, 3, 6, and 9 to avoid having my clock face become too cluttered.

step 3 / Position your wooden spools around the inside rim of your ceiling medallion, as shown, and adhere them using your strong glue. Allow the glue to set for a half hour or so, so that your spools don’t shift during the next step. Once they are set, place a ring of glue on the top of each spool, as shown.

step 4 / Position your clock face on top of your glue-covered spools, carefully centering it on your medallion. Set aside to dry completely. Once the glue is dry, slide your clock movement piece up through the hole your drilled in step one, so that the hanger on the back of the movement piece is precisely aligned with the 12 position on your clock face. (Notice how the spools allow the clock movement to be flush with the back of your medallion? This will allow you to hang your clock flat on the wall.) Now, follow the package directions for your clock movement to position the fasteners and hands in the appropriate configuration.

You are finished!

This beauty is now displayed in my kitchen, but I snapped these photos of her hanging out on my mantel.

Questions about this tutorial or any other? Feel free, as always, to send them my way!

Skip to My Lou
Sumo’s Sweet Stuff
Blue Cricket Design
Somewhat Simple
Tatertots and Jello
Home Stories A to Z

19 Responses to Ceiling Medallion Wall Clock Tutorial

1. Simply Smith August 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

This is so cute! I just saw a gorgeous frame that I could do this with!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Kelly

2. Vanessa August 15, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

Amy,

I love this project. I am finishing up my wall clock too. But my clock is very different from yours. I will have to try to make this one as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Vanessa

3. Stacy@thealmostwholepackage August 15, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

great idea!

4. bev August 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm #

Amy I so love this idea…truly brilliant!

5. Maureen August 15, 2011 at 7:17 pm #

What a fantastic clock! Thank you for sharing this amazing project. I need to try this 🙂

6. Alison@Oopsey Daisy August 17, 2011 at 5:27 pm #

Totally amazing as always, Amy! LOVE this! I just featured you on my Wowzers today:

Hope you’re feeling well, my friend!!

XOXO

7. Jessa August 20, 2011 at 12:05 am #

What a great idea! It looks amazing. I really like using ceiling medallions for non-ceiling projects!

8. Lina - Fancy Frugal Life August 20, 2011 at 12:23 am #

What a great project! I’m obsessed with clocks 🙂 Love yours.

TT&J Blog hopping,

Lina
    Fancy Frugal Life

9. D @ Shady Porch August 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

I love this project! It looks great. I click away wondering…why didn’t I think of that. Great job! 🙂

10. Lindsay August 20, 2011 at 3:02 pm #

This is so adorable! What a great new addition to any room of your house!

I would love to have you share this project at my first link party–

11. CraftyCupcake13 August 21, 2011 at 5:45 am #

What an AWESOME tutorial! I wish I was that crafty with wood and paint I would really love to try this! Thanks for sharing! I saw your link up over at Tatertots and Jello 🙂 I’m your newest follower!
    I’d love for you to visit me too 😉

XOXOXO,
    Lilli

12. Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers August 22, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

This is awesome!!! Such a clever idea to use a ceiling medallion and it turned out beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration!

13. Lauren August 23, 2011 at 11:00 am #

This is gorgeous! I might just have to steal this idea from you 🙂 I’m also wanting a big clock in my kitchen and I like this better than what I had originally planned. Thanks for sharing!

14. Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking August 24, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

Love how this looks! I want to change up my giant family room clock… might have to copy!

15. Kellie March 24, 2012 at 12:13 am #

Great project! Thanks so much for sharing 🙂

16. Mel the Crafty Scientist September 18, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Love your blog and this project – so creative and fun and such a great idea to use a ceiling medallion! Just wanted to let you know I featured it in my roundup of clock re-dos and makeovers here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

• Amy @ Positively Splendid September 18, 2013 at 11:53 am #

Thank you so very much for the feature! I truly appreciate it!

© 2009-2016. Positively Splendid. All rights reserved.