August 16, 2011

Kitchen Decor Updates (New Shelving and Chalkboard)

When we moved into our house, I hung an old picture and some plates willy-nilly behind the table in our kitchen just to take up blank wall space. I was never satisfied at all with the space, so I decided recently to give everything a facelift, just in time for my daughter’s fourth birthday party. (For a glimpse into my crazy mind as to why I would choose such a busy week to update my kitchen, read this post on my self-diagnosis as a perfectionist-procrastinator. ;)

I knew I wanted two things for this wall: a large chalkboard (inspired by Madigan Made) and shelving. The shelves at my beloved Hobby Lobby were on sale for half off that week, so I opted to take the easy route and buy pre-made. Sometimes that is just the ticket for this lady!

For the chalkboard, I repurposed this painting, which used to hang above the bed in our master bedroom. It wasn’t necessarily hideous or anything, but it’s certainly worn out its welcome in terms of my current decor preferences. What I loved about it, though, was the potential of the decorative carving in the frame.

With a bit of primer, red paint and chalkboard paint, I spruced it up to fit this space. I am tickled pink with the result!

I decided to use my new shelving as a place to display a pretty cookbook, my Quilted Chevron Monogram, my Ceiling Medallion Wall Clock, and a couple of other decorative elements. I can’t wait to use this space for seasonal decor!

I loved being able to use the chalkboard for a fun birthday message to display behind the table during Charlotte’s birthday party, too! (Full details on her sea-themed party are coming next week, so stay tuned!)

I hope you’re inspired to think of some easy ways to breathe new life into a space in your home! Thanks so much for stopping by.

Linking to…
Blue Cricket Design
Somewhat Simple
Tatertots and Jello

26 Responses to Kitchen Decor Updates (New Shelving and Chalkboard)

1. Heidiopia August 16, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

Awesome, Amy– the chalkboard is such a fun and functional addition. And I’m with you, sometimes store-bought pre-made on-sale is the way to go. :)
    Have a great day!
    Heidi @ Show Some Decor

2. Pip August 16, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

So great! Did you just paint right over the painting??

3. LJE August 16, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

That looks great! I will be doing a similar project very soon!

4. Vanessa August 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

Looks great Amy!

5. Stef August 16, 2011 at 9:13 pm #

That turned out amazing! Don’t you just love it when you look at a space that’s been uninentenionally ho-hum decorated and then change it purposefully? Your new space is so bright and cheery and functional! Love the chalkboard!

6. Judi August 17, 2011 at 1:42 am #

Hi Amy
    I love the chalkboard red you used. I have to make one of those for me too. Everything looks so great in prep for the birthday too.
    Judi

7. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} August 17, 2011 at 2:32 am #

This looks great! I love what you did with the frame. The red is brilliant!

8. Amanda @ Serenity Now August 17, 2011 at 3:10 am #

Fun, fun chalkboard!! Love how colorful it is. :) I am positive we have the same kitchen chairs!

9. Christina August 17, 2011 at 3:13 am #

Love it, the chalkboard the shelves! I love it all!
    xoxo

10. Doreen August 17, 2011 at 7:17 am #

Another great idea! I’m going to hunt around for an old picture frame — I know we have a dozen somewhere in the garage! :)

11. Madigan at madiganmade August 17, 2011 at 10:51 am #

I love chalkboards! (obviously, thanks for the shout out!)

I love the details on that frame and it is so fun in red. You will love being able to change up the quote each season with those shelves.
    Beautiful!

12. Kelli @ RTSM August 17, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

I love the chalkboard Amy! That red frame is awesome! Did you just paint right over the picture?

13. Jeni August 17, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

That’s it – I MUST MAKE a big chalkboard!

14. Sue August 17, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

I adore your chalkboard!

15. Staci August 19, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

It looks amazing and I was getting ready to paint a black frame in our bathroom red anyway. Love the chalkboard idea…did you paint right on top of the picture? My frame is glass….not sure what to do there!

16. Lindsay August 20, 2011 at 12:49 am #

This is adorable! I can’t believe you transformed that painting into the super cute chalk board. That gets me thinking, what can I change into what you did?? :) Thanks for the inspiration!

I would love to have you share this at my first link party–

17. A Pretty Life in the Suburbs August 20, 2011 at 1:01 am #

So fun! I love, love the colour!
    Jo-Anna

18. Gentle Blue Mom August 21, 2011 at 2:52 am #

Love it Amy! Did you spray over the painting or use plywood? The framed chalkboard is my next project for both of my kiddos new rooms! Off to Sal’s to look for frames! :)

19. Timmy.Norris November 30, 2011 at 2:45 am #

Thank you for sharing this idea, a chalk board in the kitchen sure looks well.
    bespoke kitchens suffolk

20. Len Sandler December 7, 2011 at 8:53 am #

This will replace the post-its I have on my kitchen wall. Thanks
    new york kitchen and bath

21. J.Richmore January 2, 2012 at 4:36 am #

What a really great idea, I think I’d do this later.
    new homes for sale

22. Karl January 16, 2012 at 5:13 am #

I also thought of having a chalk board in my kitchen so I can write the things I need to do. Thanks for this idea.
    retirement communities new york

23. William January 26, 2012 at 8:58 am #

It’ll be awesome to have one of those boards. They can be great in a lot of ways.
    new homes for sale

24. Jamie February 10, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

Wow.. I love the chalkboard you made from the old painting.. I’ve started a new blog and hope you don’t mind I’ve featured your fab chalkboard. You can see it here:

Thank you for sharing.. I’m also your newest follower :0)

25. Jamie May 3, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

I hope you don’t mind, I have a quick question.. did the framed canvas have glass over it (like pictures do in a frame) or did you paint directly onto the canvas? I really love it and can’t wait to do one of my own :)

Thanks!

1. DIY Valentine's Day Mantel Decor | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 6, 2014

[…] but I decided to use it for something else for the next month or so. I created this board by upcycling an ugly, mass-produced painting with a bit of paint. The red frame is my favorite […]