December 14, 2011

Printed Twill Ribbon Tutorial

Today I’m sharing a quick and easy project idea for really kicking your holiday gift wrapping up a notch with a personal touch: Handmade Printed Twill Ribbon!
For this project, you will need:
Wording PDF files {{free downloads}} OR word processing software
Merry and Bright PDF
Joy to the World PDF
White twill fabric
Freezer paper
Iron
Computer printer
Rotary cutter and mat
Sewing machine and thread or fabric glue
step 1 /  Using your rotary cutter, cut a piece of fabric and freezer paper that is precisely 8.5×11 inches. It is very important that these pieces be cut exactly so that they will run properly through your printer! Use  your iron on a cotton setting with no steam to iron the freezer paper to the back side of your fabric, making sure the shiny side of your freezer paper is touching the fabric.
step 2 / (If using the provided downloadable PDF files, skip ahead to step 3.) Create a document using your word processing software with the wording you wish to appear on your ribbon. Make sure the page has a landscape orientation and that there is a bit of space between each row for trimming. For 1-inch-wide ribbon, you will need 8 rows of wording.

step 3 / Place your assembled fabric/freezer paper piece into your computer printer so that the image will print onto the fabric side of the piece. Print your wording onto your sheet, and leave the freezer paper backing attached.
step 4 /  (This is how the templates I’ve provided should be trimmed. If you’ve created your own, you’ll have to trim according to your particular margins, etc.) Starting at the bottom edge of your page, trim 1/4″ from this bottom edge. Now, trim strips that are 1″ wide, so that your wording is centered in each strip. When you reach the top row of wording, trim the top of this piece so it is precisely 1 inch wide. Remove the freezer paper from the back of your strips.

step 5 / Overlap the ends of your strips and sew together using a zig-zag stitch. For a new-sew option, you can also use fabric glue for this step.

Your ribbon is ready to embellish any package that strikes your fancy!

Something that I think would also be really cute would be to use a pinking blade in your rotary cutter when trimming your strips.

In addition to the ribbon using the provided templates, I also made a personalized version with my son’s name. I love the idea of using this ribbon with each child’s name in lieu of gift tags this year!

Have you started wrapping gifts yet?
Tatertots & Jello
Skip to My Lou

Latest posts by Amy @ Positively Splendid (see all)

, ,

16 Responses to Printed Twill Ribbon Tutorial

1. Robyn Rasmussen December 14, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

So pretty! I love this simple and adorable way to decorate. :)
    It’s been Stumbled and I would have pinned it but Pinterest is having hiccups again. . .

2. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} December 14, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

This is so cute, Amy! I love that it can be personalized. Great idea!

3. Amber December 14, 2011 at 3:01 pm #

I’m out of time for this Christmas but will be making this for any occasion. What a great idea!

4. Kelli @ RTSM December 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Amy this is such a cute idea! I wonder what would happen to the ink if it gets wet…I’m thinking this would be a great way to make a cute Christmas shirt:)

5. Mary Beth December 14, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

What a great idea and awesome tutorial! I just love it.

p.s. I have not started wrapping yet…it’s sort of hard to wrap the nonexistent….I have not started shopping yet…. : O

6. V December 14, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

Love this! I am out of time this Christmas too, but heaven knows I’m still going to try and squeeze this in!! What font is this??

7. Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants December 14, 2011 at 4:48 pm #

What a fantastic idea! I just love it. I am wondering if it’s easy to find the twill fabric?

8. tute-bot December 14, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

I love this! I especially like that the stitches are in a color that stands out. It adds a handmade touch. Very cute!

9. Amanda @ Serenity Now December 15, 2011 at 1:20 am #

Amy, you are so creative!! Just loved this tutorial. Pinned it. :)

10. WhyCuzICan December 17, 2011 at 3:25 am #

What a nice idea to make a package even more special… sweet of you to share your tip/tricks with us :D

Visiting via: TT &J linky party,
    Smiles, Suzanne in NW Illinois

11. Mary-Sweetwater Style December 17, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

This is an amazing idea…I am putting on my pins…Thanks ever so much!

12. Alison @ Oopsey Daisy December 20, 2011 at 11:09 pm #

GREAT idea… sure wishing my printer could do this! I think I need a new printer! :)

13. Not Your Ordinary Agent December 21, 2011 at 1:43 am #

I love this idea! you could make some serious $$ selling this!! PINNING! Found you through Made by you Monday. New follower!
    Not Your Ordinary Agent
    Not Your Ordinary Recipes
    Clean Gal

14. Otter December 21, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

This is a fantastic idea! Thank you so much for sharing this! I’ve only had a spare moment to look over two of your tutorials but I have to say I’m seriously impressed and you just gained a new follower! Great ideas!

15. Attempting Aloha December 21, 2011 at 3:04 pm #

Beautiful job! I love me some printed fabric. Ribbon is an awesome idea!

Aloha,
    Charlie

16. Michelle December 26, 2011 at 11:07 pm #

What a great idea, thanks so much for the tute and the files to start me off, I could have myself some fun with this :)