February 1, 2012

Valentine Wreath

I had an abundance of scraps left over from Charlotte’s peasant top I shared last week, and I decided yesterday that they would be perfect for making a Valentine wreath for my pantry door. The only problem: I didn’t have a wreath form on hand, and I had no desire to schlep this entire crew to Joann to buy one. What to do?

The uber talented Beth at Home Stories A to Z shared a Thanksgiving wreath using an absolutely ingenious method for creating a wreath form out of a pool noodle. After digging around a bit in the garage, I found one of last year’s noodles, and with a bit shaping and lots of duct-taping, I put her tip to use. Wreath form problem solved. Thanks, Beth!

To cover my handy-dandy wreath, I used 2.5″ strips of felt, which were wrapped around the wreath so that the edges overlapped slightly, securing everything with hot glue as I worked.

When one strip ran out, I overlapped the next one by a quarter of an inch or so and continued wrapping.

I initially planned to have the wreath be entirely grey, but I ran out of grey felt. I actually like the way the section of fuchsia looks, though! I love using up what I have on hand for projects like this.

For the flowers on the wreath, I used my felt rose tutorial from last spring to make rosettes from the same fuchsia felt. To incorporate the vibrant colors from the fabric scraps I wanted to use, I also adapted the rolled rosette method from my rosette topiary to create fabric flowers. Instead of crepe paper strips like I used for the topiary, I used 2-2.5″ fabric strips, which I pressed in half lengthwise, wrong sides facing:

…and then I pressed them in half again. These were the strips I used to create my rosettes. For a full play-by-play for how to roll the rosettes, be sure to check out the rolled rosette tree tutorial.

My goal for this wreath was to have something fun to display for Valentine’s Day that could also transition well into my spring decor. I opted to make a little metal heart banner out of dismantled Coke cans cut with a heart die using my Epic tool. (By the way…have you entered the Creative Carousel giveaway? There is an Epic tool – in addition to lots of other goodies – up for grabs!) I secured the banner to the wreath with sections of twine so that I could easily remove the hearts once Valentine’s Day has come and gone. Dimensional foam stickers give the banner some added pizzazz.
Once the elements for my wreath were assembled, I put my trusty hot glue gun to work affixing everything to the wreath. I rounded out everything with a bright turquoise bow (I am loving polka dots lately!) and some raffia sprays.
I love how happy this wreath looks on my pantry door!
Such a lively addition to my kitchen.

Valentine’s Day will be here before we know it! Have you started decorating yet?
Thanks so much for stopping in!

Tidy Mom
Serenity Now
Tatertots and Jello
Decor Chick

, ,

59 Responses to Valentine Wreath

1. Goldie February 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

I love your wreathe!

2. Tonya February 1, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

LOVE this wreath!! So cute & the colors are beautiful!

3. Jenni February 1, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

i am in love with this wreath! so bright and beautiful!

4. twobutterflies February 1, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

It’s gorgeous!!!

5. Nat and Holly February 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

As soon as I saw this wreath linked up, I knew it was yours!! It is so adorable… I am crushing on that little xoxo banner :) I can’t believe you made it out of a pop can! Oh my goodness, everything about this is just perfect. I’m pinning it right now!

6. Nat and Holly February 1, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

I’m your newest follower through RSS!!

7. Kellie February 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Beautiful! I love all your work. :)

8. Beth@A to Z February 1, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

Adorable! Thanks for the shout out girl :).

9. Fox Hollow Cottage February 1, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

The colors are so whimcial and happy. I just love the bright splashes you used. It’s gorgeous.

10. Kelli @ RTSM February 1, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

Amy that is too cute! I love that you used up scraps on this project. It is usually my luck that I run out of whatever I’m using about halfway through:) You made it work though…I love the fuchsia felt under the flowers!

11. Angela February 1, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

So cute! I love the colors!

12. A Pretty Life in the Suburbs February 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Oh I love your wreath! The colours are perfect for Valentines Day! Lovely!!
    Jo-Anna

13. Brittany February 1, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

I love it! All the colors are gorgeous and it seems doable, which is huge! Thank you!

14. marissa February 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

I love this so pretty I hope you’ll add this to my What We Wore and Made party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

15. ReFresh ReStyle February 1, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

The mix of colors is so pretty! It looks great!
    Debbie

16. Amanda @ Serenity Now February 1, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

Sooo pretty! I love the mix of color and patterns. :)

17. Reflections from Granny February 2, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Very pretty wreath, beautiful colors, thank you for the tutorial.

Lori m

18. Jessica Lauren February 2, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

This is so pretty! I love the colors, and the cute little straw and bow tops it off perfectly!
    ~*Jessica Lauren @ Copy-Cat-Crafter*~

19. ~Natasha~ February 2, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

Absolutely adorable! I have got to learn how to make the rosettes out of felt and fabric!

20. Mindy @ Heart Maine Home February 3, 2012 at 12:05 am #

This is lovely! The colors are so fun and happy.

21. Laurel @ Ducks in a Row February 3, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

I think it is very cute – the colors are awesome and you could totally leave this out past Valentines Day!

22. Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} February 4, 2012 at 1:12 am #

Love this color scheme!!! beautiful!

23. Kim @ Too Much Time February 4, 2012 at 1:48 am #

Amy! This is so cheerful and fun! I would love it if you stopped by to share this at my linky party going on right now:)

24. Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State February 4, 2012 at 2:47 am #

That turned out so cute! I just started a valentine’s day wreath and am torn on it. I need some opinion, brutal or not, lol!

Visiting from Serenity Now!

25. Coley February 4, 2012 at 5:50 am #

Too cute!! Love the XOXO part.

26. Danielle February 4, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

You were featured today on Blissful and Domestic. Stop by and grab a button:)

27. PitterAndGlink February 4, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

This is DEFINITELY Positively Splendid! :)

28. Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper February 4, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

How awesome! Great job! I hope you will link up to my I Heart Projects Party if you haven’t already.

29. Katie February 4, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

This is such a gorgeous wreath! I love all the fabrics you used! It’s so colorful!

30. Kristen Turner February 5, 2012 at 1:35 am #

So pretty and bright! I think I need to make a wreath now :)

31. Creative Raisins February 6, 2012 at 2:16 am #

I am in love with this wreath. The bright colors are fantastic. Good Job

32. Sara February 7, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

This is absolutely GORGEOUS!! Love it! Pretty please link this up at my turquoise lovin’ party! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2012/02/turquoise-lovin-24.html

33. Jessica February 7, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

Funny. I made a pool noodle wreath with felt strips, too. Mine is just plain, though, because I can’t figure out how I want to decorate it. Yours in gorgeous.

34. Jerri Rivers February 8, 2012 at 2:56 am #

How pretty! I love all these bright colors!

35. Jill February 10, 2012 at 12:56 am #

I love this wreath! So beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

36. Lani February 10, 2012 at 1:32 am #

Great colors! Can’t wait to make one!

37. April February 12, 2012 at 2:49 am #

Cute! I love the colors!

38. Megan January 11, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

What a beautiful wreath! I love all the fun colors you have incorporated. :)

39. Pam January 17, 2013 at 5:49 am #

so cute and absolutely love it! Thanks for the share:)

40. Kristin February 12, 2013 at 4:23 pm #

Thank you for the inspiration and many flower tutorials! I made my own version – pictures over on my blog…http://greasegirlgetscrafty.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/valentines-day-wreath/.

• Amy @ Positively Splendid February 13, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Kristin, your wreath turned out lovely! Thanks so much for sharing the link with me!

41. Aashima January 9, 2014 at 3:00 am #

Hello there, I discovered your web site by the use of Google at the same
    time as looking for a similar subject, your web site
    came up, it appears great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hello there, just changed into aware of your blog thru Google, and found that
    it’s truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels.
    I’ll be grateful in case you continue this in future.
    A lot of other people will be benefited out of your writing.
    Cheers!

42. Jenna February 11, 2014 at 9:27 am #

Adorable!!!

1. Valentine Crafts and Food Ideas! | I Heart Nap Time - How to Crafts, Tutorials, DIY, Homemaker - January 24, 2013

[...] Valentine Wreath from Positively Splendid [...]

2. » My Favorite Valentine’s Day Collection My Craftily Ever After - January 29, 2013

[...] positivelysplendid.com via Brigetta on Pinterest [...]

3. Positively Splendid's Top 12 Posts of 2012 | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 1, 2013

[...] 12. Valentine Wreath [...]

4. Valentine’s Day Wreath | Grease Girl Gets Crafty - February 12, 2013

[...] working on car projects, crafting felt like a good outlet. As soon as I saw the lovely felt-based Valentine Wreath from Positively Splendid, I knew what my next project would be. Besides being adorable, it was the [...]

5. White Lace Love (DIY Valentine's Wreath) - My Note Book - February 18, 2013

[...] from Craftaholics Anonymous! source: from Today’s Fabulous Finds! source: from Positively Splendid! source: from The House of Smiths! Lovely wreath makin’! xx, [...]

6. 10 More Why Didn’t I Think of That? Tips | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 6, 2013

[...] when I made a wreath from a pool noodle? This is the same concept, but I love that you can get four wreaths out of one 97-cent section [...]

7. 14 Valentine's Day Wreaths | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - April 21, 2013

[...] Valentine Wreath @ Positively Splendid [...]

8. The Best Wreath Tutorials for Every Holiday and Season - September 9, 2013

[…] Heart / Paper Accordian Wreath / Grey & Pink Wreath / Pipe Cleaner Wreath Tulle Wreath / Rolled Flowers Wreath/ Framed Wreath /Confetti Wreath Tinsel Wreath / Party Horn Wreath / New Years Eve Wreath / Jewelry […]

9. White Lace Love (DIY Valentine’s Wreath) | Steal Mag - September 12, 2013

[…] Making!source: from Craftaholics Anonymous!source: from Today’s Fabulous Finds!source: from Positively Splendid!source: from The House of Smiths!Lovely wreath makin’!xx, ALFSource (adsbygoogle = […]

10. 25 DIY Valentine's Day Wreaths | Six Sisters' Stuff - December 6, 2013

[…] Simple Valentine Wreath Pom Pom Valentine's Wreath Cupcake Liner Wreath Burlap Heart Wreath Valentine Wreath Rose Wreath Tutorial Cockscomb Valentine Wreath Valentine's Frame Wreath Pink Ruffled Heart […]

11. 13 Valentines Day Wreaths To Inspire - Love of Family & Home - January 12, 2014

[…] (source) (source) (source) (source) (source) (source) satin wreath (source) burlap wreath […]

12. Valentine's Day Wreaths - January 14, 2014

[…] Positively Splendid – I love this colorful wreath from Amy at Positively Splendid. The colors aren’t ones […]

13. White Lace Love (DIY Valentine’s Wreath) | Steal Mag - January 20, 2014

[…] source: from Craftaholics Anonymous! source: from Today’s Fabulous Finds! source: from Positively Splendid! source: from The House of Smiths! Lovely wreath makin’! xx, […]

14. DIY Team Game Day Wreath | - January 25, 2014

[…] wreath (or any type of wreath form, i.e. Styrofoam, pool noodle, etc […]

15. Whitewashed Twig Heart Valentine Wreath | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - January 27, 2014

[…] Valentine Wreath […]

16. 12 Valentine's Day DIY Projects - Sunshine Inspired Designs - January 31, 2014

[…] not a fan of wreaths but this Valentine’s Wreath from Positively Splendid is so pretty that I couldn’t resist sharing this with […]