June 14, 2012

Favorite Things Gift Idea

I love that I have another opportunity today to introduce you to two more new members on the PS Team: Nat and Holly from My Sister’s Suitcase! These girls are every bit as darling in person as they are on their blog. I know you’ll love them as much as I do! Take it away, girls. :)
***
Hi everyone, we’re Nat and Holly – the creative sister duo from My Sister’s Suitcase. We are so excited to be here as monthly contributors…. we absolutely adore Amy {and we share a love of polka dots!} Today we’ll be sharing an easy gift idea and printable with you:

During the holidays, it seems like everyone was throwing “My Favorite Things” parties. Do you remember reading about those in blogland? The idea was to have a party where each person would bring X number of one of their “favorite things,” they’d all swap, and everyone left with a bag of great little gifts.

I remember reading some of my favorite bloggers’ lists of their “must-have” items… and it was really fun! In fact, thanks to Shelley, I now can’t live without my Scotch Brite cooktop cleaner pads :)

So this year for my best friend’s birthday gift, I thought it would be kind of fun to put together a present filled with some of my favorite things. I chose things that I knew she would enjoy/use just as much as I do! Here’s what I included:

{1} Favorite Scentsy Bar – Spiced Grapefruit {2} Pampered Chef Mini Whipper – this is my most used kitchen item, I love it! {3} SMASH Tape – like washi tape, but it’s printed with words… I use this to mark items in catalogs or magazines that I want to remember. Also great for scrapbooking! {4} Kitchen towel in one of my favorite patterns and color combos -  black & white chevron {5} Cupcake liners in my other favorite pattern – polka dot! {6} Thing I use daily – my Melaleuca lip balm. It is seriously the most moisturizing chapstick I’ve ever used. {7} Urban Decay eye pencil sharpener – LOVE their eye makeup products. Favorite eye liner color: Rockstar… it is amazing! {8} My go-to late night snack – Junior Mints {straight out of the fridge!}

I wanted to create some cute pacakaging to go along with the theme… so here is my brown paper pacakge, tied up with string:

I didn’t have any tissue paper on hand that I really liked, so I created my own ruffled gift bag with a strip of scrap fabric. I adore how it turned out! I may start doing this to all my gift bags :)

I just ripped a 2″ strip of fabric and gathered it around the inside rim of the bag. I used hot glue to keep the ruffles and pleats in place, and 2 minutes later I had an adorable custom gift bag!

Complete with a coordinating tag:
And I’m sharing the tags with you guys :) I made a black and white version {which is what I printed on kraft cardstock} and a color version:
We can’t wait to share another project with y’all next month. In the meantime, we’d love for you to stop by and check out what’s in My Sister’s Suitcase!
***
Nat and Holly are two sisters who share a love of all things creative. Currently living 462 miles apart, their blog, My Sister’s Suitcase, gives them a place to share their ideas {and an excuse for lots of late-night phone calls!} They hope to inspire you with holiday and home decor, easy DIY projects, and creative upcycling. They also have lots of simple kids activitiesfree printables, and inexpensive gift ideasThey would love for you to join them in their LDCR {long-distance crafting relationship!}

16 Responses to Favorite Things Gift Idea

1. Abbey D. June 14, 2012 at 11:09 am #

Ahh two of the sweetest gals that I had the pleasure of hanging out with at SNAP on one of my favorite blogs (with another sweet gal from SNAP!)… :) Nice work, ladies. I love the idea! Hugs!

2. Cherished Bliss June 14, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Such a cute idea! I LOVE the polka dots ; ) I always enjoy wrapping gifts more than buying them!! I was so excited one year for a Christmas production, I got to wrap empty boxes! Nobody understood my excitement! ; )

3. Katie June 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

What a lovely idea! I really like the font in the second row of the gift tag. What is the name of it?

4. Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon June 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

So cute!!!! :)

5. Jen @ My Own Road June 14, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

What a great idea! I’m definitely pinning this for the future

6. Nat and Holly June 14, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Thanks for your sweet comments girls!! Katie, the font you asked about is called Lavanderia. It is one of my favorites!

7. rebecca @ beurrista June 14, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

absolutely wonderful. thanks for sharing.

8. Crystal June 14, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

What a cute idea!!! Love the polka dots!!

9. Michaela @ coveredinmodpodge.blogspot.com June 14, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Adding fabric to the gift bag is such a great idea. It turned out wonderful! I’ll have to remember this next time I need to wrap a present! I rarely have tissue but always have fabric! Thanks so much for sharing!

10. Shatzi @ Love and Laundry June 14, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

My friend did this for my last birthday and I loved it! Some of her favorite things have turned into my favorite things. Love this!!

11. Joey Bailey June 15, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

Love the fabric idea. This sparks so many ideas, thanks!

12. gena.roozen August 19, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

Love this idea!! Where do you get your Smash Tape at?

• Sherry Sage December 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

I’ve been trying to print the black and white pdf file for a few days now – when I click on the link it tells me “cannot access right now, please try again later”. My party is tonight – curious if you might be able to email me the black and white file? THANK YOU so much! Adorable party. sherrysage at cox dot net.

1. My Favorite Things Celebration | Tips From Town - February 6, 2013

[...] packs like these from the Creative Orchard or Party Papers. Swag bags can be prepared using these free printables. You can also ask each person to bring their favorite dessert or appetizer to share. Then decide [...]

2. My Favorite Things Celebration | Tips From Town - November 29, 2013

[…] these from the Creative Orchard or The Homespun Hostess. Swag bags can be prepared using these free printables. You can also ask each person to bring their favorite dessert or appetizer to share. Then decide […]

3. My Favorite Things Celebration | Tips From Town - November 30, 2013

[…] from the Seven Story Mountain or The Homespun Hostess. Swag bags can be prepared using these free printables. You can also ask each person to bring their favorite dessert or appetizer to share. Then decide […]