Hello Positively Splendid readers! It’s Megan from The Homes I Have Made, and I am really excited to be back this month sharing another tutorial with you!
- (a) Cover the outside of the can in Mod Podge (you can use the regular or the Outdoor stuff for this step!)
- (b) Slowly wrap your fabric around the can, smoothing air bubbles as you go.
- (c) When you get back around, trim your fabric so you have a 1/2″ overlap and secure the end with more Mod Podge.
5. Prepare the skinny fabric strip. To take care of that scary edge on the inside top of the can, we are going to cover it with the smaller fabric strip.
- (a) Brush Mod Podge along the entire back of the skinnier fabric strip.
- (b) Fold in half (wrong sides together) and press flat.
- (c) Snip small slits about every 1/2″ or so (this is because we didn’t cut our fabric on the bias. If you want to cut your fabric on the bias or use bias tape, then no snipping is required!)
- (a) Twist one bolt about 4″ down the threaded rod.
- (b) Place one washer on top of the bolt.
- (c) Place the can (bottom side down – that’s what the hole was for!) on top of the washer.
- (d) Place the other washer and the other bolt on top of the threaded rod.
- (e) Then flip your can over and tighten the original bolt and washer toward the can. You should end up like this: bolt > washer > bottom of can < washer < bolt.
To pour it in:
- (a) I stood my two drink holders up in a pot filled with sand and made sure they were as level as I could get them!
- (b) I mixed the resin according to package directions and poured it in the bottoms of the cups…just high enough to cover the washer and bolt.
Megan is an exercise and nutrition professional turned stay-at-home mom and DIY blogger with the arrival of her baby boy in April of 2011. Married to a U.S. Marine, she is currently setting up her 5th home in 8 years! You can follow Megan’s decorating and crafting adventures over at The Homes I Have Made (and here on Pinterest and Facebook) and find lots of ideas, tips, and tricks for making any temporary space a cute, cozy and comfortable home!