June 26, 2012

Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto with Farfalle

With the advent of summer, I invariably crave one ingredient in particular: basil. The bright, slightly spicy flavor of this summery herb lends such delicious depth to so many dishes. Last week, I shared some of my basil-growing tips, and today I’m sharing my all-time favorite way to showcase my summer basil crop: pesto! This is my tried-and-true pesto recipe, which couples basil with fruity, fragrant sun-dried tomatoes. So simple, yet so delicious! In this recipe, I toss the pesto with farfalle, but you could substitute any other textured pasta (rotini, penne, and the like) that suits your particular tastes. Coupled with grilled chicken or fish, this is truly the perfect light summertime supper!

Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto with Farfalle

1 cup basil leaves, lightly packed
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon oil from tomatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Place basil and next three ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 4-5 times, so that the ingredients begin to become incorporated. With the processor running, drizzle in the reserved tomato oil and then the olive oil. Process until the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Mix in salt and pepper. Place pesto in a bowl and stir in Parmesan.

Prepare the farfalle according to the package directions, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid before draining. Place the pesto in the bottom of a large pasta bowl, and pour the drained pasta directly over the pesto. Add 1/4 cup or so of the cooking water, and then toss the pasta with the pesto, adding a bit more water if necessary to loosen up the sauce so that it thoroughly coats the pasta.

9 Responses to Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto with Farfalle

1. Marta June 26, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

I love dried tomatoes and I think that your pasta is delicious!!!

2. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} June 26, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Oh I am going to have to try this, Amy!! We have an abundance of basil growing in our garden, and I’ve never once thought to try to make something other than the typical pesto with it. Yum!

3. kate June 26, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

this look so tasty! I love sun-dried tomatoes on everything!

4. Debbie June 26, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

This looks so good and yet so easy. I pinned your recipe.

5. Richella June 26, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

Thank you for this! To say that I love basil would be a huge understatement. I am also a huge fan of sun-dried tomatoes. So I think I need to try this!

6. Jennifer fay June 26, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

That sounds really good. I just did one with pesto but didn’t think of basil and sun dried tomatoes.

7. Amanda @ Serenity Now June 27, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

That looks delicious, Amy! You always photograph your recipes so nicely too. :) Thanks or sharing…we love our pasta!

1. Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto With Farfalle – The Reliques + Texas' Americana / Folk / Country Sweethearts - August 19, 2013

[…] better known as bow-tie pasta.  You can find this particular recipe on Positively Splendid’s website.  Have fun trying this one out and […]

2. 25 Easy Dinner Recipes | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - October 12, 2013

[…] Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto with Farfalle at Positively Splendid […]