September 18, 2012

Plush Patchwork Pumpkin Tutorial

Yesterday, I shared a quick and easy tutorial for creating elegant, vintage-inspired decoupaged lace pumpkins that are absolutely perfect to punch up your Halloween decor. If you’re in the market, though, for a pumpkin project that you can display throughout the fall season, today’s tutorial–Plush Patchwork Pumpkins (try saying that three times fast!)–might be right up your alley!

The beauty of this pattern is that it can be assembled using scraps you already have on hand, and it comes in 3 versatile sizes: small (5.5″ across), medium (7″ across) and large (8.5″ across). The sewing portion of this project is lightning-quick, and before you know it, you’ll have an entire patch of these beauties whipped up. Let me show you how to do it!

For this project, you will need…

• Plush Patchwork Pumpkin Templates (available as a free download below)
  • Fabric in assorted patterns (scraps work great here)
  • Coordinating thread
  • Shears
  • Fiber fill
  • Hand sewing needle
  • Embroidery floss or yarn
  • Large embroidery needle
  • Felt
  • Ribbon
  • Cinnamon sticks
  • Hot glue

Print and cut out the pumpkin template of your desired size. Using this template, cut out six fabric pieces from your fabric for each pumpkin. You can either cut all six pieces from one fabric, or mix and match for a funky, whimsical look. It’s up to you!

Place two of your fabric pieces together, right sides facing, lining up all of the raw edges. Pin. (If your pumpkin will be composed of various fabrics, be sure to alternate fabrics as you join them.)

Using a 1/4″ seam allowance, stitch these pieces together.

Pin another of your fabric pieces to this assembled piece, right sides facing, and stitch together in a similar fashion. You will now have a somewhat circular piece composed of three separate fabric pieces. Set this piece aside for now.

Repeat the preceding steps with the remaining three pieces of fabric.

When both 3-pieced sides are complete, line them up along the entire perimeter of their raw edges, making sure the center seams are precisely aligned. Pin together, as shown.

Stitch around the entire perimeter of the pinned pieces (you will be stitching in a circle), making sure to leave about 1.5″ inches open between the beginning and end of your stitching. Using a chopstick or turning tool, turn the piece right side out.

Stuff your pumpkin with a generous amount of fiber fill. You want the pumpkin to be firm when squeezed, but not overstuffed. Using a needle and thread, handstitch the opening shut.

Thread a long length of embroidery floss or yarn through your embroidery needle. (Depending upon the size of your pumpkin, you will probably need somewhere between 1 1/2 and 2 yards.)

Poke the threaded needle down through the bottom of your pumpkin, close to the center, as shown. Poke the needle back down through the pumpkin…

…and tie the two tails of thread that now are hanging from the bottom center of your pumpkin in a nice, tight knot. (This will give your pumpkin a tufted appearance.) Do not trim your thread yet!

Bring your threaded needle up and around the side of your pumpkin, moving from the bottom to the top, poking the needle down directly through the center of your pumpkin, as shown. Pull tightly to further tuft your pumpkin. Repeat this step for each of the six sections of your pumpkin.

When each section has been tufted, secure the threads with a knot on the bottom of the pumpkin. Trim.

Using the template provided, cut a leaf shape from felt, and affix it to the top of the pumpkin with hot glue.

Embellish further with a cinnamon stick stem and a pretty bow.

You are finished!

I’d be remiss not to warn you: When you see how easy these are to make, you’ll catch yourself wanting to make enough to fill an entire patch! :)

These would be a darling addition to any seasonal display…
…but they could also double as festive pincushions!

Click the links below to download the templates for this project:

Large Pumpkin Templates

Medium Pumpkin Templates

Small Pumpkin Templates

Pumpkin Leaf Templates

Fabric Sources:
Orange Polka Dot & Blue Houndstooth – Premier Fabrics
Yellow Woodgrain – Joel Dewberry

Thanks for making me a part of your day!
Skip to My Lou
Serenity Now
Home Stories A to Z
Tidy Mom
Tatertots and Jello
Flamingo Toes
A Glimpse Inside

, , ,

36 Responses to Plush Patchwork Pumpkin Tutorial

1. Jessica @ Plum Patchwork September 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Amy, these are fabulous! Of course, I’m a sucker for anything patchwork!
    I can’t wait to make a few of these for fall!

2. Amanda @ Serenity Now September 18, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

What a fun mix of colors and patterns. :) These are just adorable, Amy!

3. cherished bliss September 18, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

These are adorable!! Love them Amy!

4. Torrie September 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

You are amazing! These are just what I need for fall decor.

5. ramsaygrace September 18, 2012 at 4:09 pm #

I absolutely love the look of this, with the patchwork (love all things patchwork for some reason)! You really are so talented! Thanks for sharing. :-)
    Trinity

6. Beverly {Flamingo Toes} September 18, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

These really are the cutest pumpkins ever Amy! I love the fabrics you chose!

7. Leigh Anne September 18, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

These are really awesome! I especially love how you can customize with fabric & the cinnamon stick is perfect :)

8. Al@PolkaDotsandPaisley September 18, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

These are so cute. I love the different fabrics.

9. Hi I'm Shannon! September 19, 2012 at 1:53 am #

Oh wow. Those are amazingly CUTE! Love the aqua zing you slipped in there ;) Just darling!

10. Daniela Dobson September 19, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Thanks so much for the tutorial. Totally random search just now brought me here. Love them!

11. Kate September 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

They are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

12. Our Pinteresting Family September 22, 2012 at 1:09 am #

They are beautiful! Great work! I found them at TT&J. :) Megan

13. Shelley September 22, 2012 at 4:25 am #

Loving these! Not sure if I could do it, but they sure are so pretty :) Love the cinnamon stick!

14. Torrie October 13, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

I am having an error message when I try to download the pattern. Is anyone else having an issue?

• Amy @ Positively Splendid November 4, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

Torrie, are you by chance using Firefox as your browser? I have heard of a few other Firefox users experiencing that issue.

15. Terry October 24, 2012 at 2:44 am #

These are so cute.. I love them ! Thanks so much for the patterns and tutorial !

• Amy @ Positively Splendid October 24, 2012 at 2:56 am #

You are so very welcome, Terry!

16. elena October 24, 2012 at 10:51 am #

wowhoo fantastic tutorial, how i can dowload the pdf patterns? Thanks you

elena

17. Elizabeth November 4, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Amy How beautiful. I love these pumpkins. I am unable to download the pattern though. Any suggestions.
    Elizabeth

• Amy @ Positively Splendid November 4, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

Thanks so much, Elizabeth! I am so sorry you’re experiencing issues. Are you by chance using Firefox as your browser? I have heard from a few readers having issues trying to grab the downloads with Firefox. I am more than happy to email them to you if you prefer! Just send me an email amy (at) positivelysplendid (dot) com. I’ll send them your way. :)

18. Jill O'Leary November 5, 2012 at 1:16 am #

Amy, your work is so fun and amazing. I hope you don’t mind that I shared your tutorial and referred to your blog on my blog. Hope you stop by and check it out! http://www.fiberluscious.blogspot.com.
    Thanks for sharing your creativity with us!
    Jill

19. Locas March 8, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

Que lindos.
    Obrigada

Beijinhos
    Locas…..

20. Kelly September 4, 2013 at 9:09 am #

Likely asking a silly question, but how does the cinnamon stick get applied if the top and bottom of the pumpkin are closed? :/

• Amy @ Positively Splendid September 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

The leaf, cinnamon stick and bow are all applied with hot glue.

21. Connie Warner September 20, 2013 at 11:06 am #

Made two last night using plain old felt. Made the stems with crochet, then used the yarn tail to “tuft”. I also sewed the leaf to attach, instead of using hot glue. I also elongated the medium pattern by about an inch to create a taller/rounder pumpkin. Leaf templates align nicely if you place the point/tip in the corner of your felt piece – this helps minimize waste. Very easy, fast design. They are very cute.

• Amy @ Positively Splendid September 20, 2013 at 11:49 am #

So glad you enjoyed this project, Connie! I would love to see your creations.

22. Lory October 9, 2013 at 5:57 am #

Very intersting Tutorial! Well described and with very beautiful photos! I cited it in my Italian Blog: http://www.lunadeicreativi.com!
    Thank you for sharing your project!
    Lory

23. Alyssa October 9, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

These are so cute! I whipped up 3 today and, while I am no master crafter, they were pretty easy and turned out well! My only difficulty was with the tufting, I have never tufted anything before and I found it really hard to tuft the small one, and impossible to tuft the medium and large ones without my husband squishing them down enough to get the needle through. What am I doing wrong?

• Amy @ Positively Splendid October 15, 2013 at 8:13 am #

Hi, Alyssa! It might be that you are over-filling the pumpkins. I would recommend a bit less batting, and then using a heavy-weight thread for the tufting process. I hope this helps!

1. How to Sew a Pillow Closed by Hand with a Blind (Ladder) Stitch | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 10, 2013

[...] …and my Plush Patchwork Pumpkins. [...]

2. Thanksgiving Mantel Decor | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 11, 2013

[...] the pitcher is a collection of different pumpkins, some natural, and some that I made using my Plush Patchwork Pumpkin tutorial. For added dimension, I created a “topiary” using mini pumpkins with a layer of floral [...]

3. Pumpkin Bean Bag Toss Game | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 12, 2013

[...] I already had the leaf templates cut out from my Plush Patchwork Pumpkins, I opted to use the large and medium versions of those instead of the leaf templates provided in [...]

4. Fall Mantel Display | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - September 9, 2013

[…] plush patchwork pumpkins that I made last year added a homespun feel to the display, while also adding more depth and […]

5. Sew Thankful Sunday, 10.13.2013 - The Crafty Quilter - October 13, 2013

[…] Amy at Positively Splendid has made the most adorable patchwork pumpkins.  She shares all of the details on her blog, […]

6. Zucche di Halloween: 20 Tutorial | LUNAdei creativi - October 17, 2013

[…] […]

7. 10 Fabric Pumpkin Tutorials - Cherished Bliss - November 30, 2013

[…] via Polka Dot Bungalow // 2. via Cherished Bliss // 3. via Craftberry Bush 4. via Positively Splendid // 5. via StoneGable // 6. via Hostess with the Mostess 7. via Thompson Family // 8. via […]