December 3, 2012

Red, Gold & Lime Christmas Mantel

One of the first places I decorate in my home each holiday season is my mantel, as I really use this space to set the tone for the rest of my holiday decor. This year, I opted to use a red, lime green and gold color scheme for my mantel display, incorporating a number of DIY elements to create the look I wanted. With rich gold tones and juxtaposed against vibrant pops of red and lime green, this mantel display is as lively as it is luxe. I am so pleased with how it came together!

My first project for the display was to sew a set of classic cuffed stockings in a variety of modern prints from Premier Fabrics. (I also used their fabric for my son’s nursery, which I shared about at the beginning of this year.) Although I loved the whimsical stockings I sewed for last year’s mantel display, I wanted something a bit more traditional this time around, so I set to work designing stockings with a more classic silhouette.

Because each of these stockings comes together in well under a half hour from start to finish, I was able to whip up a stocking for each member of our family (including our beloved beagle, Maggie) in no time at all. Click here for the tutorial and free PDF pattern for these stockings.

For months now, I have found myself coveting the gorgeous sunburst mirrors I’ve noticed gracing the pages of my favorite shelter magazines and catalogs, but with Christmas shopping in full swing, I knew that spending $200 or more on a mirror to hang above the mantel was completely out of the question. Instead of shelling out a hefty sum for a ready-made mirror, I opted to create my own with an ornate ceiling pendant and (no kidding!) some foam core board for the sunburst “rays.”

Click here for the how-to for this sunburst mirror. You’ll never believe how easily this comes together!

A pair of perky poinsettias flanks the mirror and adds a pop of seasonal red color. To add a decorative touch to the metallic wrappers the plants came in, I tied a velvet ribbon around the base of each.

My gold topiary Christmas trees look right at home in the display. I still love the cascading tiers of fringe on the taller tree!

A collection of bottle brush trees in flocked white (from Jo-Ann) and glittery lime green (from Walmart) add dimension and texture to the display, while pretty gold ornaments displayed in the open and nestled under small glass cloches (from Hobby Lobby) impart an elegant, feminine sensibility.

A final look at the display…

Care to join me in front of the fire with a cup of coffee or hot cocoa?

Of course, since it’s almost 70 degrees here in Tennessee, we might have to settle for an iced version. ;)

Thanks so much for making PS a part of your day!

Linking this to: Tatertots and Jello, Serenity Now, Tidy Mom, Home Stories A to Z, Flamingo Toes, A Glimpse Inside

Latest posts by Amy @ Positively Splendid (see all)

, , , , , , , , , ,

38 Responses to Red, Gold & Lime Christmas Mantel

1. Eva Scott December 3, 2012 at 6:07 am #

absolutely gorgeous!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 3, 2012 at 6:11 am #

Thanks so much, Eva!

2. niner bakes December 3, 2012 at 8:22 am #

Ohmygoodness this is by far the sweetest mantel ever. Seriously. Such bright colors, I am in love!

HUGE KUDOS for this piece of art <3

blessings,
    niner

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 3, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Thanks so much! :)

3. Michele @ The Scrap Shoppe December 3, 2012 at 8:23 am #

Wowza, Amy! That sunburst mirror is a serious statement piece. Its AMAZING!! I love your mantel display (as I always do). Fabulous color scheme!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 3, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Thank you, Michele!

4. Lesley December 3, 2012 at 8:30 am #

Amy, your mantel is gorgeous but that’s no surprise everything you do is awesome! I also have to say I have been in awe of your photography lately! All of your photos are so light, bright and crisp. I need some tips from you! Lesley

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 3, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Thanks so much, Lesley! I truly appreciate your kind words about my photos, too. My best advice is NOT to fear manual mode. It is amazing what a camera can do when you tinker with all of the settings!

5. Doreen @ Altered Artworks December 3, 2012 at 9:49 am #

That burst of lime really adds so much fun to your holiday decor!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 3, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Thanks so much, Doreen!

6. McKenzie @ Girl Loves Glam December 3, 2012 at 9:50 am #

This is just SO lovely! I love the gold in there!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 3, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Thanks, McKenzie! I am really loving gold this year in all of my decor!

7. nest of posies December 3, 2012 at 11:26 am #

just gorgeous, amy!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 3, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

Thanks so much, Kellie!

8. Crystal December 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

Love it.. especially the stockings!!

9. Kara December 3, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

I loved your mantel last year, but I think I like this one even more! Simply gorgeous as always Amy!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 3, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

Thank you, sweet Kara! :)

10. Amanda @ Serenity Now December 4, 2012 at 8:41 am #

Lovely, Amy! I adore your color scheme. You always have the prettiest mantels!

11. Linda@Coastal Charm December 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

My goodness…you have put together one AWESOME mantel…LOVE the stockings…such cute fabric.

Blessings,
    Linda

12. B December 5, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Love that DIY starburst idea Amy!!! Pinned for sure!

13. Stacy December 5, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

these look amazing! I love how it all came together and I can’t wait to see the tutorials!!

14. Nelly December 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

I love the bright colors! Great job on your mantel!!

15. Luisa December 7, 2012 at 11:01 am #

Oh…my…gosh. LOVE those stockings. Great job mixing up the patterns! Merry Christmas!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 9, 2012 at 10:24 am #

Thanks so much, Luisa!

16. Beverly {Flamingo Toes} December 10, 2012 at 11:42 pm #

This is so pretty Amy! I love how you put it all together. The colors are perfect and that mirror is just amazing!

17. Richella @ Imparting Grace December 18, 2012 at 8:54 am #

It’s wonderful, Amy! You did such a great job with this mantel. And the sunburst mirror? I need to see that tutorial!

Somehow I never realized that you like in Tennessee. I’m a TN native. I was born in Memphis and reared in rural west Tennessee. Then Jack and I lived in Nashville when we were a young couple. Our oldest son was born there. We’ve lived a lot of places in our life, but Tennessee will always be home in many ways. :)

18. jennifer December 10, 2013 at 10:45 am #

Where did you find your fabric?

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 12, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Hi, Jennifer! The fabric is from a company called Premier Fabrics. You can find it on their website, and it is also available through Fabric.com.

1. 16 DIY Christmas Ideas - Home Stories A to Z - December 10, 2012

[...] Red Gold & Lime Christmas Mantel by Positively Splendid. [...]

2. Classic Cuffed Christmas Stocking Pattern | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 1, 2013

[...] shared last week about this year’s Christmas mantel display, which includes a new set of Christmas stockings I sewed for each member of our family. Because I [...]

3. Navy, Gold and White Mantel Decor | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 10, 2013

[...] of knowing that another holiday season has come and gone. Yesterday as I was taking down my Christmas mantel decor, I found myself wishing that I could keep it out for just a while longer instead of packing it all [...]

4. DIY Sunburst Mirror | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 10, 2013

[...] you haven’t already, I hope you’ll venture over to see the entire tour of my Christmas 2012 mantel. And be sure to stop back in first thing Monday morning when I’ll be sharing the tutorial for [...]

5. Gold Christmas Tree Topiaries | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - November 6, 2013

[…] Be sure to check out these trees’ cameo in my Red, Gold and Lime Christmas Mantel! […]

6. 25 Best Christmas Mantels for Holidays - Craftionary - December 5, 2013

[…] Red and Gold Holiday Mantel […]

7. Mantel Mania: 50 Festive Mantel Decorating Ideas For A Magical Christmas! - December 11, 2013

[…] by Positively Splendid […]