December 10, 2012

Classic Cuffed Christmas Stocking Pattern

Add style to your holiday decor this year by creating custom Christmas stockings with my Classic Cuffed Christmas Stocking pattern. Using your favorite fabrics, a full set of these Christmas stockings can easily be completed in a weekend or less. Let me show you how!

I shared last week about this year’s Christmas mantel display, which includes a new set of Christmas stockings I sewed for each member of our family. Because I needed to sew seven of these gems (one for each of us, plus one for our beloved beagle, Maggie), I needed to come up with a pattern that could be whipped up in no time, but that yielded professional, polished results. This is the pattern I drafted.

The basic technique for creating these is the process I used in my Whimsical Christmas Stocking pattern, with a couple of modifications: I tweaked the overall shape of the stocking to a more classic silhouette, and I substituted a traditional cuff for the ruffled top. Ready to see how easily these come together? Let’s get started!

For this project, you will need…

• Classic Cuffed Christmas Stocking Pattern (Click link at left to be taken to the free download)
  • Fabric in coordinating styles and colors (I highly recommend Premier Fabrics)
  • White muslin
  • Rotary cutter and mat
  • Coordinating thread
  • 1″ pom pom trim
  • Fabric hot glue
  • Ribbon
  • Basic sewing supplies: machine, shears, etc.
  • Optional: serger*

*To construct my stockings, I used a serger to enable me to stitch my stockings together and finish my seams in one step. If you do not have a serger, don’t worry! You can complete this project with a standard sewing machine. I’ll be including instructions for both methods throughout this tutorial.

blank 3

, , , , , , , , , , ,

75 Responses to Classic Cuffed Christmas Stocking Pattern

1. Jessica December 10, 2012 at 8:38 am #

I think your stocking came out great. I love all the patterns you chose. Thanks for the great step by step tutorial. I’m thinking of making stocking for my family for next year. After Christmas, I’m hoping to get some great deals on Christmas themed fabric. Have a wonderful holiday!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 10, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Thanks so much, Jessica!

2. Linda December 10, 2012 at 11:55 am #

Thanks SO much for sharing this pattern; however, is anyone else having problems printing the pattern? I downloaded the pdf, but only one page printed partially. It stated “1 of 1″ at the top, and I know there is supposed to be 3 pages. Please let me know if there’s a problem or if it’s me lol
    Thanks

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 10, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

Hi, Linda! I tried downloading the pattern to a different computer with no issues. I would be happy to email you the file if you need! Let me know. amy (at) positivelysplendid (dot) com

3. Stacy December 10, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

gorgeous x infinity = your stockings! :)

4. nest of posies December 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

just gorgeous, Amy! beautiful work, as always.

5. Pat December 10, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

Absolutely beautiful! I love all the colors & patterns you used. I’m a new follower and am anxious to see other creations.

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

Thanks so much, Pat! Welcome!

6. Brenda December 10, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

Hi Amy!
    I adore your stockings! I have featured your stockings on my blog at Seasons Of Joy. I love the beautiful fabrics that you have chosen! Thanks so much for sharing your talents! I want to make some! Happy Holidays to you and your family!
    Love, Brenda

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

Thanks so much, Brenda, for your kind words! Happy Holidays to you, as well!

7. Susan December 10, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

Oh my goodness! Those stockings are perfect in every way! I’ve been searching for stockings in green and red that are cute and beautiful. Guessing you wouldnt be selling any with these fabrics?! I love them.

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 11, 2012 at 9:37 am #

Susan, email me at amy (at) positivelysplendid (dot) com, and I would be happy to discuss making you a set. Thanks so much!

8. Beverly {Flamingo Toes} December 10, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

These are just lovely Amy! I love the fabrics and the pom poms on the cuffs are just adorable!!

9. Amy Marshall December 11, 2012 at 2:12 am #

Hi Amy! These are so cute! What I really love about them is they can be cutesy, elegant, country, rustic…you name it, just by the fabric you choose. Thanks so much for the pattern…I’m pinning it for later! Merry Christmas!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 11, 2012 at 9:36 am #

Thanks so much, Amy!

10. Amanda @ Serenity Now December 11, 2012 at 11:59 am #

First of all, great tutorial! Second of all, I think it’s so cool that you guys do a stocking for your dog too. :) Santa always brings our Emma a new stuffed animal and a bag of treats. :)

11. Amy December 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

I love your story and share the same passions…… Must be in the name. Love your stocking display. So festive!!!!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

Thanks so much, Amy! :)

12. Rachel December 12, 2012 at 3:18 am #

I love the stockings… Do you sell them? Can you please email me about purchasing a few stockings.

13. Trisha December 12, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

I just finished making my stockings for this year but these are so nice! I will save this for next year. :)

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

Thanks so much, Trisha!

14. The 36th AVENUE December 13, 2012 at 8:18 am #

Amy, they are so fun and cute. If you have a minute could you please link them up to my party. I would love to feature them! I am pinning…♥

15. Tami December 14, 2012 at 9:43 am #

Hi Amy! I was wondering if you would share the fabric line you chose for this? I just love it and it matches my other decorations perfectly!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 15, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

All fabrics here are from Premier fabrics. I mixed and matched patterns in different colors. There are so many to choose from!

16. Tammy December 15, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

You’ll save me looking for a stocking pattern on line somewhere! My crafting to-do list just keeps getting longer and just this evening I discovered I needed to make a stocking for someone. The good news is, I have everything I need on hand! And now that I have the pattern I can take a little more time perusing the link parties, like Bev’s where I found your tute. Thanks again :)

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 15, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

Terrific, Tammy! Happy sewing!

17. Donna December 15, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

These are lovely. I live how bright and colorful they are. Thanks for sharing
    Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

18. Donna December 15, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

These are lovely. I live how bright and colorful they are. Thanks for sharing
    Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

19. Rhondi December 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

The stockings you are are adorable. I wish I had seen this earlier and I would have made some. It will definitely be on my to do list next year.!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 31, 2012 at 8:23 am #

Thanks so much, Rhondi!

20. KC December 25, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

Love these!! I hope to make these for next year. I see you used 6 different fabrics, do you mind telling me how much material you used for each fabric? Thanks! :)

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 31, 2012 at 8:22 am #

Hi, KC! The fabric I used is wide (54″), and I was able to cut enough for the front and back of two stockings from 1/2 yard. If you buy muslin for the lining that is equally wide, you will need 1/2 yard of your outer fabric, 1/2 yard of your lining fabric, plus 1/4 yard for your cuff fabric. Have fun sewing! :)

• Katie November 7, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

Can I get some clarification? Will 1/2 yard outer fabric, 1/2 yard lining fabric, and 1/4 yard for your cuff be enough for 2 stockings or just one?

• Amy @ Positively Splendid November 8, 2013 at 8:10 am #

Hi, Katie! Depending upon the width of your fabric, for directional prints, you should be able to get 2 stockings per half yard.

21. Stacy December 28, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

Amy,
    I love your stockings!! Where did you get your fabrics? I went looking today but couldn’t find any fabric I liked as much as yours.
    Thanks,
    Stacy

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 31, 2012 at 8:13 am #

Thanks so much, Stacy! All of the fabrics I used are from Premier Fabrics: http://premierprintsfabric.com/index.shtml Their fabrics are terrific quality, and they are a pleasure to work with. You can also purchase them from Fabric.com for a considerable cost savings. Thanks for stopping in!

22. Grandma Debbie July 13, 2013 at 12:48 am #

Love your design!! I live in Thailand and am making stockings for my families in NYC. Not so easy finding the right fabrics here, but I found some that will work. Thank you for the excellent tutorial. I’m off to my sewing room right now to get started so I can take them when I visit NYC in Sept/Oct.

• Amy @ Positively Splendid July 15, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

Wonderful, Debbie! Have fun!

• Pat C November 7, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Just searching the web for a Christmas stocking pattern and found yours. Printed it out and already working on it. I will be embroidering a design on mine. Thanks for making it so easy!!
        Pat C

• Amy @ Positively Splendid November 8, 2013 at 8:11 am #

Terrific, Pat! Happy stitching!

23. Sabrina November 7, 2013 at 12:42 am #

Love love the stockings!! Do u sell them and how much?

• Amy @ Positively Splendid November 8, 2013 at 8:12 am #

Hi, Sabrina! At this time, I do not offer items to sell. Not enough hours in the day! :)

24. Denise November 7, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

What font did you use for the embroidery stockings.

25. Stephanie November 15, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Can you tell me how much fabric you bought to complete this project?

Thank you!!

I love these :)

• Amy @ Positively Splendid November 18, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

Hi, Stephanie! All of the fabrics used here are by Premier Fabrics. Happy sewing!

26. Hannah November 15, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

Hi, great pattern! I am planning to make this and have my cuff monogrammed. Do you know the length and width of the finished cuff from the front?

27. Jana November 16, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

I am currently making the stockings and have run into a problem. Would you please tell me what the finished width of your stockings turned out to be? My cuff is about 2 inches too wide so I am trying to figure out where the problem is. Also, was there any ease in the cuff when you made it? Thank you!

28. Anne November 21, 2013 at 1:05 pm #

Hello Amy,
    I saw this pattern for the Christmas stocking and love love love them…. I printed the instructions but don’t know how to cut out the stocking part. I saw the part about the cuff, but could not find the pattern for the stocking itself.
    Anne

29. Anne November 21, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

Dear Amy,
    Nevermind, I am such a dodo…. I found it!!
    Thank you for this cute stocking pattern!
    Anne

30. Andrea Jackson December 1, 2013 at 1:09 am #

Would there be anyway to buy these? I need 4 like yours that match but each ones diff! I absolutely love these and I am not a sewer:-(

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 1, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

I am so sorry, Andrea, but at this time I do not make items for sale.

31. Ashley December 1, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

How much fabric total is needed?

32. kim December 5, 2013 at 1:31 pm #

Love these stockings!! Can you tell me what the finished stocking measures? width? length? Thanks:)

33. Lauren December 14, 2013 at 6:20 pm #

Hi! So excited to try this pattern, it looks like exactly the size I want. One question…I have the pattern printed, and I see 3 pieces: the toe, the heel and the shaft. But what about the cuff? Is there a pattern for that? I’ve looked up and down through all your instructions and the pattern, and I’m just not seeing it. Please help, thanks!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 14, 2013 at 7:11 pm #

Hi, Lauren! There isn’t a pattern piece for the cuff, but in the cutting directions at the top of this page, it specifies to use a rotary cutter and mat to cut a piece for the cuff that is 10×13.5″. Have fun sewing! :) http://www.positivelysplendid.com/2012/12/christmas-stocking-pattern.html/2

• Lauren December 14, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

Awesome, thank you! I knew I was just missing it somewhere :)

34. Claire December 16, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

Quick question for those of us who are new to sewing: If I’m using a conventional sewing machine, after I do the initial stitch 1/4″ from the edge, do I then finish the seam over the original stitch? Or ouside, closer to the edge of the fabric?

Thanks!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid January 7, 2014 at 5:53 am #

You finish outside the seam, closer to the raw edge of the fabric. Good question!

35. Linda December 17, 2013 at 10:30 am #

Amy,
    I fell in love with these as soon as I saw them and knew I had to make some for our family! I have them displayed on my mantle now and would love for you to see: http://www.nightowlcorner.com/2013/12/handmade-classic-christmas-stockings/
    Thank you so much for sharing the pattern and tutorial and being the inspiration for these amazing stockings my family will enjoy for years to come!

Linda

• Amy @ Positively Splendid January 7, 2014 at 5:53 am #

They turned out lovely, Linda! Thank you so much for sharing them with me!

36. ana December 22, 2013 at 11:57 pm #

Hello!!! So beautiful. What kind fabric did u use??? Thanks.

37. Janet December 24, 2013 at 12:41 am #

I completed 8 of these this weekend for our family (including 1 for the dog)! The pattern worked beautifully, thank you. I used a variety of primitive prints and trimmed them with vintage lace from my grandmother.

1. Free pattern: Classic cuffed Christmas stocking | Sewing Patterns - December 10, 2012

[...] Amy from Positively Splendid shares a free pattern and tutorial for making a classic cuffed Christmas stocking.  You can get a variety of looks – whimiscal, traditional, luxe, modern – depending on the fabric you choose.  Get the pattern and how-to. [...]

2. Positively Splendid's Top 12 Posts of 2012 | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 1, 2013

[...] I was so proud of how this display came together, and particularly the DIY gold sunburst mirror (made with foam board and a ceiling medallion) and my bright and cheery classic cuffed stockings. [...]

3. DIY Cuffed Stocking Pattern: 100 Days of Homemade Holiday Inspiration - November 2, 2013

[…] DIY Cuffed Stockings Pattern […]

4. 14 Free Sewing Patterns for Christmas Stockings | Handmade Future - November 10, 2013

[…] Classic Cuffed Stocking […]

5. Weihnachtsdeko selber nähen z.B. Girlanden aus bunten Stoffresten - November 29, 2013

[…] der Regel auch mehr hinein, als wenn man kleine bunte Baby- oder Kindersöckchen verwendet. Amy von positivelysplendid.com zeigt ein Beispiel für wunderschön mit Bordüren verzierte […]

6. Handmade Christmas Stockings | Red Circle Crafts - November 29, 2013

[…] Positively Splendid has a full tutorial and free printable pattern of these simple, straight-forward stockings. You could add lots of details or amazing fabric to really make these your own. […]

7. Easy Sequined Picture Frame I Heart Nap Time | I Heart Nap Time - Easy recipes, DIY crafts, Homemaking - November 29, 2013

[…] Classic Cuffed Christmas Stocking Pattern […]

8. 18 Creative and Easy DIY Christmas Stocking | Style Motivation - December 11, 2013

[…] Source […]

9. Handmade Classic Cuffed Christmas Stockings - Night Owl Corner - December 16, 2013

[…] online and looked at many stores but didn’t find anything we liked. Then I saw a tutorial on Positively Splendid for these gorgeous classic Christmas stockings and it was love at first site. I knew I just had to […]

10. Christmas Stockings | Sew Patched Up - December 18, 2013

[…] So, this year, I said no more. I searched online and found a great, extremely easy, tutorial for christmas stockings from Positively Spendid. […]

11. Holiday Home Tour 2013 | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - December 20, 2013

[…] Pictured here: Traditional Christmas Mantel, Joy to the World Cross-Stitch Sampler, Classic Cuffed Christmas Stockings […]

12. 10 Simple Sewing Projects for Beginners - A Mother Thing - January 3, 2014

[…] Classic Cuffed Stockings - Positively […]

13. christmas stocking pattern and sewing tutorial - January 8, 2014

[…] I made those stockings using the tutorial and pattern I found at Positively Splendid.  Just click here […]