Stitch up a sweet apple softie to give as a gift to a teacher or simply to use as festive fall decor. Using my free sewing pattern and tutorial, these little guys are as easy as (apple) pie to make! Read on for all the details.
For this project, you will need…
Apple Softie Pattern Pieces << Click link for FREE download!
- Red fabric in assorted patterns
- White piping
- Coordinating thread
- Fiber fill
- Cinnamon stick
- Light and dark green felt
- Hot glue
- Pinking shears (optional)
- Basic sewing supplies: Machine, shears, pins, etc. (Be sure to check out my 10 essential sewing tools!)
To begin, cut out your pieces. For each softie, you will need:
- 1 front main body piece
- 1 back main body piece
- 1 outer pocket piece
- 1 pocket lining piece
Note: All seam allowances are 1/4″.
- Place the outer and lining pocket pieces together, right sides facing, and pin along their top (straight) edge. Stitch along the pinned edge. (If desired, insert white piping in this seam.) Fold the pocket piece right-side out along this seam, aligning all of the raw edges. Press. Pin the pocket to the lower portion of the front main body piece. Baste around the lower edge of the pocket 1/8″ from the edge to secure it to the main body piece, leaving the top edge of the pocket unstitched.
- With the front main body/pocket piece face up on a work surface, place the back main body piece on top of the front pieces so that the right sides of each are facing and all of the raw edges are precisely aligned. Pin. Stitch around the perimeter of the pinned piece, leaving a 2″ opening along the lower edge of the piece for turning and a 1/2″ opening at the top center of the piece for inserting the cinnamon stick stem later on.
- Carefully notch all of the curved edges of the piece. Turn the piece right-side out through the lower opening, using a seam creaser (affiliate link) to make sure the seams are completely turned.
- Stuff the piece with fiber fill through the lower opening. Hand stitch the opening shut. (Don’t miss my terrific tutorial for sewing openings closed by hand!)
- Fill the top opening with a bit of hot glue, and insert the cinnamon stick stem.
- Using the leaf templates, cut 1 small and 1 large leaf piece from the green felt. (If desired, cut the small piece with pinking shears (affiliate link) for added interest.) Hot glue the smaller piece on top of the larger, and then pinch one of the pointed edges together, as shown, securing with a bit of hot glue. Use hot glue to affix the leaf piece behind the stem piece.
Your apple softie is complete!
By tucking a special note or even a gift card inside the front pocket, this would be a darling gift idea for a special teacher.
These would also be great filled with a bit of fallish potpourri and used as festive home decor!
The cinnamon stick stem is downright cute, and it smells yummy, too!
Looking for another fun softie project for fall?
Check out my FREE pattern for plush patchwork pumpkins!
And if apple crafts are what you have in mind, I’ve got you covered there, too!