Pancakes are a weekend staple in our home, but sometimes I like to take a little departure from our tried-and-true buttermilk pancake recipe to try something fresh and different. Today, I’m sharing a pancake recipe that my oldest son and I came up with together that has quickly become one of our family’s favorite pancake recipes: coconut banana pancakes. Made with coconut milk, these pancakes are drizzled with melted cinnamon honey butter and topped with banana slices. All of the flavors in these pancakes combine for a tropical, exotic taste that is positively delicious. Ready for the recipe? Read on!
Coconut-Banana Pancakes with Cinnamon Honey Butter
For the pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 very ripe bananas mashed
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest plus a bit more for garnish optional
For the honey butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Optional toppings: Sliced bananas lime zest
For the pancakes
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, whisking well to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, melted butter, mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla and lime zest (if using). Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients in the large bowl, and stir until all ingredients are just incorporated. (Mixture will be a bit lumpy.)
- Heat a griddle over medium heat and grease with a bit of butter or oil. Pour the batter onto the heated griddle, using 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until bubbles just start to form at the surface of the pancakes; flip with a spatula and continue cooking until pancakes are golden brown and cooked through. Serve warm, topped with cinnamon honey butter, sliced bananas and bit of lime zest, if desired.
For the cinnamon honey butter
- In a small bowl, combine the butter and honey. Heat in the microwave on medium power in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, just until butter is melted, for about 90 seconds total. Stir the mixture vigorously with a spoon so that the butter and honey become somewhat emulsified. Stir in cinnamon. Serve immediately.
The cinnamon honey butter is a delicious change-up from traditional maple syrup, and it would also be delicious drizzled on any of your breakfast treats: waffles, French toast, pancakes and more!
Hungry for even more breakfast ideas? Check out these other yummy recipes!
Thanks so much for stopping in!
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.