Today, I’m sharing one of our family’s all-time favorite casserole recipes: Easy Taco Casserole. Featuring beef, black beans and lots of yummy melted cheese, this dish is oh-so-easy to prepare, and served along with a salad, it is a one-dish meal that is sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike!
One of my secret weapons for getting dinner on the table on busy weeknights is to make casseroles when I have a spare moment during the morning or afternoon, and then pop them in the oven in the evening for an easy homemade supper. This is such a sanity saver in the midst of games, practices and homework, and I love that it takes the stress out of enjoying a family meal together.
Easy Taco Casserole
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3-4 tablespoons New Mexico red chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 corn tortillas quartered
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and onion, and use a wooden spoon to crumble the meat. Add the cumin, oregano, chile powder and salt, and continue to cook until meat is cooked through and onions are translucent. Drain all about 2 tablespoons of grease from the skillet.
- Add the flour and garlic, and continue cooking until flour is toasty and garlic is fragrant, stirring often, for about 2 minutes. Gradually add the chicken broth, stirring briskly with a spoon to incorporate. Bring mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer mixture for about 15 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the black beans.
- Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Ladle a small amount of the meat mixture into the bottom of the pan. Then, add the following layers in this order...
- An even layer of 16 of the tortilla quarters
- 1/3 of the meat mixture
- 1/3 of the shredded cheese
- Repeat these layers for a total of three times.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until cheese is slightly browned and bubbly. Allow casserole to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
For this recipe, I highly recommend grating your own cheese if you have the time. Freshly shredded cheese yields so much more ooey gooey results than the preshredded variety!
Looking for even more delicious dinner ideas? Check out all of my dinner ideas here, or scroll down to see some of my favorites.
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Baked Lasagna Rolls
Easy Oven-Fried Chicken Dippers
Thanks so much for stopping in!
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.