A few weeks back, I found myself in need of a new vase for the fall, and I was almost set on buying one until I came to my senses and realized I could craft one of my own for pennies on the dollar. Turning to my stash of creative supplies, I immediately settled upon my trusty crafting friend–a mason jar–to use as the base for my vase project. With just a bit of paint and a small amount of time, I transformed a plain jar into a stunning piece I can use in any season. I can’t wait to show you how easily this project came together!
Really, is there anything in the wide world of crafting more versatile than the seemingly humble little mason jar? Not only are they incredibly handy for using as inexpensive storage for supplies and notions, they are also the perfect carte blanche for transforming into everything from light fixtures and lanterns to food gifts and more. I just love these little guys! Although I used a quart-sized jar for this project, you can easily create a vase to suit your own needs by selecting a jar of a different size. The choice is up to you!
For this project, you will need…
- 1 quart-sized mason jar
- Gold spray paint (my favorite is Krylon Shimmer Metallic in Gold)
- White acrylic paint and foam brush
- 3/4″ hammered metal trim (I purchased mine in the home decor ribbon section at Hobby Lobby)
- Hot glue
- Fine grit sandpaper
- Spray the outer surface of the jar with the gold spray paint, working in 2-3 light, even coats, and allowing the paint to dry between coats.
- When the final coat of spray paint is completely dry, use the acrylic paint and foam brush to paint along the lower edge of the jar to mimic a paint-dipped look. Allow the paint to dry completely.
- Cut a section of the metal trim long enough to extend all the way around the mouth of the jar. Affix the trim to the jar with hot glue, making sure the point at which the ends of the trim overlap is on the back side of the project.
- If desired, give the project a weathered look by gently sanding over the words on the jar with the sandpaper.
Now, simply fill your new vase with your favorite flowers, trimmings and other items. Your elegant metallic mason jar vase is complete!
These vases would be absolutely stunning used as centerpieces at a wedding reception, or used as a way to add a glamorous statement to a holiday table. For now, mine has found a home in my new fall mantel.
I love the tiny bit of texture given to this project created by sanding off just a bit of the gold finish. It’s a perfect combination rustic glamour!
Looking for even more home decor ideas that can be whipped up in a flash? Stick around to check out these other great projects.
Thanks so much for stopping in!
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.