May 7, 2010

A perfect weekend recipe for your monkeys

I have to remind myself every once in a while of a very elementary thing: sometimes the simplest things are the ones from which I garner the greatest pleasure! Take, for instance, the recipe I have to share with you today. In the words of my sweet mother, it is as easy as falling off a log. Really. It uses canned biscuits, for goodness sake. And yet, the flavors combine to create something sinfully delicious that is as satisfying with my morning coffee as it is for a decadent after-dinner treat. And as an added bonus, it has a downright fun name.

Monkey bread.

My kiddos adore this stuff. It pulls apart into ooey, gooey little morsels that leave your fingers sticky with sugary sweetness and your taste buds clamoring for more. If you’re looking for a super easy, crowd-pleasing recipe to prepare this weekend that your family will go bananas for (I just couldn’t resist the pun – so sorry ;), look no further!

Monkey Bread
{{Click here}} for a downloadable pdf of this recipe.

1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 (7.5-oz.) cans refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted

Helpful hint: I have found that using kitchen shears makes very quick work of quartering the biscuits.

I would like to welcome everyone stopping in today from my favorite Friday parties…

The Girl Creative

Friday Follow

It has been a marvelous week here at Positively Splendid, and I hope you enjoy perusing my latest posts. If you’re looking for a way to punch up your outdoor decor with supplies you might very well already have on hand, check out my tiered terracotta planter. Still needing a quick, meaningful gift for a special mother in your life? Take a look at my framed silhouette vignettes.
Kick off your shoes and stay a while! And if you could, would you please let me know you’ve stopped in so I can return the favor?
A fantastic Friday to all!

25 Responses to A perfect weekend recipe for your monkeys

1. The Cottage Mama May 7, 2010 at 2:40 pm #

WOW, that looks delicious – love your pictures too!!

Lindsay

2. anne maskell May 7, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

ohhh! can I have a piece? looks fantastic! I’m visiting thru new-friend-friday, and I think I’ll stay!

3. Sarah May 7, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

Hi! I love Monkey Bread and now I am craving some. My sister always makes it for Thanksgiving; great memories. I am visiting from New Friend Friday. I think your blog is so cute. I love the tiered planter! I plan on staying a while. Have a great weekend.

4. brlracincwgrl May 7, 2010 at 2:58 pm #

Monkey Bread is now a must try in my house! Thank you for sharing! I’m visiting from “Friday Follow”. Have a great weekend!

5. Kelli @ RTSM May 7, 2010 at 3:03 pm #

I love making monkey bread! I did learn one thing the hard way though…never use a tube cake pan that has a removeable bottom. I had a sugary mess in the bottom of my oven that was no fun to clean up:)

6. Heather@ My Frugal Family May 7, 2010 at 3:10 pm #

We did this, minus the pecans, for Christmas morning and loved it! It’s a fun, easy recipe!

Following you over from New Friend Friday!

7. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} May 7, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

Mmmmmm, monkey bread! I haven’t had this in ages. Might have to make some this weekend!

8. Cielo Azul Jewelry May 7, 2010 at 3:14 pm #

This is just perfect! I usually make sticky buns, but this looks a lot quicker. I’ll have to try it out this weekend=0)

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!
    xoxo,
    Carol

9. Jennifer Juniper May 7, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

My boys love monkey bread too! Great idea for this weekend :)

10. Ott, A. May 7, 2010 at 3:39 pm #

Just stopping by from New Friend Friday. I really like your blog and happy to be your newest follower.

11. Ode to Motherhood May 7, 2010 at 4:01 pm #

Wow! That looks delicious! I love new recipes!

Following from Trendy. Look forward to reading more of your blog. :)

12. LuLu May 7, 2010 at 4:33 pm #

Oh yum….I haven’t made those for awhile! I’m visiting and following from NFF!

~Lauri

13. Williams Family May 7, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

I love monkey bread – and, my older kiddos love to help roll the biscuits in the sugar – so we all have fun together!

Happy Friday, my dear!

14. Remodelaholic May 7, 2010 at 6:48 pm #

This looks delish! I have a recipe link up on Sunday (it is open Through Monday) Come Link up!

15. Le Chateau des fleurs May 7, 2010 at 6:54 pm #

Great pictures and recipe :)
    Happy Friday Follow. following your blog, come follow mine :)
    XOXO
    Frenchy

16. Happy Birthday Author May 7, 2010 at 8:10 pm #

I am a big fan of monkey bread. My mom used to make it for me when I was younger – now I am making it for my kids.

I became a new follower. Stopping by for FF. Hope you can stop by http://www.happybirthdayauthor.com.

17. Laura PARING DOWN May 8, 2010 at 12:52 am #

All I can say is YUM!!!

18. a little lovely May 8, 2010 at 2:39 am #

first of all, this looks delish! wow! and second, if you don’t mind me asking…how do you link to a pdf like you did in this post. i would really appreciate knowing how you do that if you have time :) thanks!

19. Amy May 9, 2010 at 3:49 am #

♥ Monkey Bread! We make this every Christmas Eve for Christmas Breakfast! So yummy! Now I’m hungry for it! :)

20. Holly May 9, 2010 at 7:36 am #

Monkey bread…I LOVE IT…TOO MUCH! I could eat the entire thing…I can only make it when lots of people come over!

I recognize those gorgeous napkins too!

How do you make your photos look so good…you cannot do that in blogger draft, can you?

21. Heather @ Gerber Days May 10, 2010 at 3:53 am #

Oh man, my mouth is literally WATERING at these pictures!!! I SO need to make this. Y-U-M.

22. Emily {Frilly Details} May 10, 2010 at 1:39 pm #

Mmmmmm… That looks SO good!!!

23. Our really empty nest May 11, 2010 at 1:30 am #

This is so yummy, fyi, i pizza cutter cuts the biscuits really quick! Sue

24. Queen Bee May 12, 2010 at 2:26 am #

we must be on the same wave length! I plan on making this for the weekend! yum! :)

1. Five Lucky Foods for New Year's Day | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 1, 2013

[…] Monkey Bread […]