November 10, 2010

I (Heart) Turkey Tee (Boys’ Thanksgiving T-Shirt Idea)

With Thanksgiving around the corner, sew up a fun t-shirt for a little boy in your life to wear on the big day. This Thanksgiving I (heart) turkey t-shirt idea is so simple to make with my free templates!

This I (heart} turkey tee at Positively Splendid is so adorable! Perfect for little boys!
Okay – enough ruffles already. Let’s make some Thanksgiving duds perfect for the little guys in our lives, too! What better way to outfit him for Turkey Day than to pay homage to what is most likely every boy’s favorite part about this holiday: the food! :)
For this project, you will need…
Butterball Tee Templates
A plain tee in your little one’s size
Assorted fabric scraps (I used various shades of brown, white and cobalt blue)
Coordinating thread
Fusible web
Fusible fleece
Fabric glue stick
Washable ink marker
Basic sewing supplies: machine, shears, etc.
step 1 Create your “I”, heart and turkey leg templates. (For my letter I, I used Broadview font at 200 pixels. I freehanded my heart and turkey leg shapes onto copy paper.) When creating your templates, make sure to not only create a top piece, but also a base piece for each that is just a smidgen larger than the top. Cut each of your templates out.
**If anyone is interested, I will be more than happy to send you the templates I created for this project in PDF form. Just let me know!
step 2 Iron fusible web to the back of the fabrics you will be using for your top pieces. Iron fusible fleece to the back of the fabrics you will be using for your base pieces. Once your pieces are stitched, the fleece will will give the top a fun quilted look.
step 3 Trace the templates you created in step 1 onto the back of their respective fabric pieces. You will need to use a washable ink marker to trace your base piece templates onto the fleece. A regular pen will work to trace your top piece templates onto the paper backing of your fusible web. Cut out all of your pieces using very sharp scissors.

step 4 Remove the fusible web backing from your top pieces, and center them on top of your base pieces. Iron them into place using your fusible web’s package instructions.
step 5For your patch, cut a piece of fabric that is 7.5 x 4 inches. Position each of your pieces onto your patch so you can visualize your overall layout. Once you are satisfied with how things look, remove your I piece and your main turkey leg from the patch, leaving the heart and turkey leg bone pieces in place. Use your fabric glue stick to adhere these to your patch before machine stitching them into place. Affix your I piece and your main turkey leg piece to your patch with fabric glue, and stitch them in the same manner.

step 6 Center your finished patch onto your tee, using fabric glue to hold it in place during stitching. Stitch around the perimeter of the piece 1/8 inch from the outer edge. If desired, stitch again 1/8 inch inside of the first stitching for added interest.

Now, let your little one gobble till they wobble while they model their snazzy new shirt!

P.S. Looking for a t-shirt idea for the little girls in your life? Don’t miss my Ruffled Turkey Tee!

Latest posts by Amy @ Positively Splendid (see all)

, ,

23 Responses to I (Heart) Turkey Tee (Boys’ Thanksgiving T-Shirt Idea)

1. ellie g November 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm #

Oh my leather heart from heaven! This is so stinkin’ cute, AMY! And it has a lot to do with how seriously he’s rockin’ that shirt. He’s completely handsome and awesome!

I actually need to make this for my husband. It’s true for him. Do you think he’d wear it? Hmmmm……

I GREAT BIG LEATHER HEART THIS!!

2. Nancy's Couture November 10, 2010 at 6:53 pm #

This is so stinkin cute!!! I MUST make one today!

3. Erin November 10, 2010 at 7:52 pm #

This is so dang cute!!! LOVE it!

4. Jen @ lil Mop Top November 10, 2010 at 7:57 pm #

Super cute and perfect for boys- which is so hard to find!

5. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} November 11, 2010 at 3:00 pm #

So cute! Yay for boys! Your little guy is too adorable.

6. Debra November 11, 2010 at 6:22 pm #

I would love the PDF file for these appliques! Could you please post it (or just send it to me) please? Using the leather for the heart was inspired!

I love that this is for ‘real’ little boys. So often I see patterns that are supposed to be for boys but are waaaaay too cutesy. This is really going to get used.

7. Michelle@Somedaycrafts November 12, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

This is absolutely awesome! LOVE THAT SHIRT! Any time I see fabulous boy projects, I get giddy!!! Genius! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com today. Grab my “feaTured” button.

8. Stephanie November 12, 2010 at 8:14 pm #

Adorable! I must make two of them this weekend! All the boys holiday shirts are so stinking lame! I would love the PDF (plannedimprovisation at gmail dot com)

Thanks!

9. Amanda November 13, 2010 at 12:35 am #

Love it! You did an awesome job. I hope you don’t mind but I featured you on my blog! werethejoneses.blogspot.com

Talk soon!

10. Frugal Chic Living November 13, 2010 at 2:58 am #

So stinkin’ cute! Love it!

11. Stacey November 13, 2010 at 7:51 am #

This makes me giddy. I love a good boy craft and I agree with Debra about this being a REAL boys shirt. The leather heart totally makes the shirt.

12. Stacy November 13, 2010 at 3:50 pm #

I would love the tempalte for the turkey leg.

stacyg@tampabay.rr.com

13. Hanna November 13, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

This is soooo adorable. I lov your blog too. I am now following you on twitter and google:) You can find me at http://www.bouffeebambini.bogspot.com

14. Liz at 4 GUYS and A DOLL November 15, 2010 at 3:40 pm #

I just last night stumbled upon your blog and just think it is adorable!!! I have 4 boys and would LOVE the PDF for the I Heart Turkey legs…my email is elizabethnabavi@gmail.com that is super sweet of you to offer!!!
    I’m gonna follow you!

15. Red Head November 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm #

This is so stinkin cute! I love the colors and materials that you used, precious! I MUST make these for my boys to wear to Thanksgiving dinner!!!

16. I Am Momma - Hear Me Roar November 15, 2010 at 8:52 pm #

Hey Amy, I just saw this over at Someday Crafts and had to stop over to say something. I LOVE IT!!! First of all, it’s absolutely hilarious. Secondly, it’s so well done. Thirdly, he looks so cute in it. I could go on, but I’ll stop now. Great work, Amy!

Cheri

17. carriebells November 16, 2010 at 5:51 am #

This is so adorable! I would love the PDF if you would be willing to send it to me? Thanks so much,
    Melissa
    carriebryant2001@yahoo.com

18. Kelli @ RTSM November 17, 2010 at 1:34 am #

I came back to look at your tutorial again and realized I never left a comment the first time! This shirt is adorable. I just finished making shirts for my two younger boys, and now I’m going to attempt a version of your shirt for my oldest. I will link over to you when I post about it.

19. Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun November 21, 2010 at 8:30 pm #

I featured this cute idea on my blog today!

kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

20. shantel September 3, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

I featured this on my blog today!
    seemesew.blogspot.com

21. Dee August 28, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

I made one for my grandson’s upcoming trip to Disney World. My husband is a huge fan of their turkey legs, and we both thought this made a perfect shirt for his trip. Thanks for the idea! Your pattern pieces and photos made this project a breeze.

22. Susan October 21, 2013 at 8:44 am #

Could you please e-mail me this PDF? I love these shirts!!! So adorable. scampbell364@yahoo.com Thanks!!

23. Katie November 28, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

So adorable! I was able to use your pattern to make a felt version for my son this year. It turned out so cute. Thank you for sharing.