April 8, 2011

Framed Burlap Earring Holder Tutorial

There is nothing like having a gift-worthy project in your creative arsenal that can be whipped up in no time. I love this Framed Burlap Earring Holder as much for its attractiveness as I do for its functionality and ease of assembly. This is a project you will return to again and again for birthdays and holidays alike!
I had a couple of extra Burlap and Felt Flowers remaining after my brooch project from earlier this week, so I opted to use one of those here. You could always use a purchased flower embellishment for added convenience, though!

For this project, you will need…
An empty frame, glass and backing piece removed
A piece of burlap, just larger than your frame
Spray starch (optional, but recommended)
Staple gun
Die cutting machine
Freezer paper
Acrylic paint and foam brush
A fabric flower, to embellish
(I used one of my Burlap and Felt Flowers)
Additional burlap, for leaf embellishments
Hot glue gun
step 1 / Spray your piece of burlap generously with your spray starch, and iron the piece until it is dry. (This will give the burlap enough body to hold up to the weight of the earrings later on.) Cut a letter stencil from your freezer paper with your die cutting machine. Center the freezer paper onto your burlap piece, and iron it into place. Paint within the stencil with your acrylic paint and foam brush. Note: Use only the slightest amount of paint on your brush and dab gently to achieve an antiqued look. Allow the paint to dry completely before removing the freezer paper.
step 2 / Center your frame on top of your burlap piece, and trace around the perimeter of your frame. Trim away the excess burlap so that your burlap piece is precisely the same size as your frame. Use your staple gun to affix the burlap piece to the back of your frame, pulling the burlap piece tightly as you work.
step 3 / Cut two leaf shapes from your remaining burlap. Add a dab of hot glue to the bottom tip of each leaf and squeeze it together to shape your leaf. Hot glue your leaves to the top corner of your frame, and then glue your flower embellishment on top of your leaves.

All finished!

All that’s left now is to adorn your creation with your favorite earrings. What a pretty display!

As always, please let me know if you have any questions!

The CSI Project
Tip Junkie
Today’s Creative Blog
Skip to My Lou

Latest posts by Amy @ Positively Splendid (see all)

42 Responses to Framed Burlap Earring Holder Tutorial

1. nikkijoy April 8, 2011 at 11:04 am #

THANK YOU for this… I’m halfway through making a hairclip frame, and was thinking I could do with a frame for earrings, this will save me some time figuring out how best to do it!! LOVE the blue colour by the way =) x

2. Denise April 8, 2011 at 11:39 am #

Yet another ‘positively splendid’ project! Love the monogrammed earring holder and I am doing a feature this morning!

Denise
    Extreme Personal Measures

3. Alicia April 8, 2011 at 11:50 am #

Love it! I need to make my daughter a jewelry holder as she is almost a teen and accumulating lots of goodies for herself but doesn’t want a jewelry box. Gonna make her one of these!

Thanks for sharing!

4. Heidiopia April 8, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

loving this ~ I have a similar project on my radar, but love that you painted the initial on the burlap. Perfect touch!

5. Kelli April 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

I love this idea! You are so creative. I might just have to copy this one. Happy Friday!

6. Jessie April 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

Your never cease to amaze me with your creativity! I love your creation. It’s very pretty and very original.

Jessie

7. Gail :) April 9, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

I Love the burlap idea! The idea is similar to my earring holder, but I love the elegance of your so much more :)

8. Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top April 10, 2011 at 4:43 am #

This is fabulous! I love it! I need one of these.

9. Jessie April 10, 2011 at 9:04 am #

I just awarded you the ‘One Lovely Blog Award’! Please hop over to my blog to claim your prize when you have a chance. :)

Have a fabulous weekend!

Jessie

10. Mia April 10, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

Oh goodness! I just saw your link as a Creative Estates attendee over at Kim’s TCB! Why oh WHY did I not stumble across your before Creative Estates was over?! Your blog and style is SO super cute!! I’m totally doing this project for MYSELF..I’ve got all the pieces and a ton of earrings that need a home!! :-) Thank you!! :-)

11. Brooke April 10, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

I love anything with burlap; this is so pretty! Hey I awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award this morning- stop by my blog to get it. :)

12. Vivienne @ the V Spot April 19, 2011 at 2:39 am #

That is super, super cute! I love it! I have yet to try anything with this freezer paper stuff. This might be the one. ;)

13. I♥naptime w/ Chocolate Sundaes April 19, 2011 at 3:23 am #

This is so cute! I love the flower, it just makes the whole thing that much cuter!

14. Amanda April 19, 2011 at 3:29 am #

This is awesome! I don’t like the look of traditional earring holders and think they tend to be too bulky, but this would be great on the wall. Thanks for this great tutorial!

15. Carri @ Redefining C April 19, 2011 at 4:08 am #

Very cool!! I don’t wear earrings but if I did, this would be a great way to display ‘em! ;)

16. Wendy April 19, 2011 at 11:54 am #

I love this project. You gave fantastic step by steps and your attention to detail is great. My daughter would love this!

17. Love Lish April 19, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

So Cute!! And a great gift ideas for teacher’s appriciation day!Thanks for sharing!!!

18. gail@myrepurposedlife.net April 19, 2011 at 8:12 pm #

amy! that is so cute! I love the monogram and the color of the frame is perfect!
    cute little embellishment of the flower really “makes” this piece.
    gail
    visiting from tip junkie

19. Melanie April 20, 2011 at 3:17 am #

Saw this at Tip Junkie…I’d love for you to come link this up at my Tuesday Time Out Linky Party! The link is below!
    Smiles,
    Melanie
    Reasons To Skip The Housework
    Tuesday Time Out Link Up Party
    Link up Your Weekly Parties Here

20. Rachel@oneprettything.com April 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

That came out really nice! Thanks for the how-to, I’ll be linking.

21. Kathryn Michelle Jenkins April 25, 2011 at 9:55 pm #

I love this project and the colors! so beautiful.

kathryn

22. Auntie Lolo May 3, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

I love this! I featured it on my blog today. Thanks!

Lois

23. Alpha Banners May 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

Thanks so much for posting this tutorial. I had a double frame I had found at Goodwill, so I used a monogram on one side and a quatrefoil design on the other. I posted a pic of my finished product and link to your tutorial on my blog.

24. amberlee June 24, 2011 at 4:44 am #

so totally beautiful! I need to make this with my daughter.

25. Casa da Barbarella July 20, 2011 at 11:08 am #

Oi,
    Adorei!!!
    Bjos

26. Chrissy & Nate January 5, 2012 at 3:13 am #

Loveeddd this, so here is my version! Check it out!

27. Anne February 4, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

Thanks for the inspiration! I did this project and blogged about it here: http://prettyladydesigns.blogspot.com/2012/02/burlap-earrings-holder.html

It was super easy, not to mention FREE because I had everything on hand already. :o) Thanks!

28. Missy March 27, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

Hi Amy! Thanks for this awesome project to use more of the felt and burlap flowers! I’m addicted to them! :) I’m wondering if this is meant to be hung on the wall or placed on some kind of stand. I want to put mine on my dresser, but I’m not sure how to make it stand up. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!!

29. Timmy.Norris April 17, 2012 at 2:49 am #

I’ll be sure to try this at home over the weekend. I love doing DIY stuff.
    buy earrings online

30. Joseph April 27, 2012 at 7:38 am #

Card holder makes your office card graceful.
    Gift Card printing
    Scratch Cards
    Plastic Business Cards

31. Al@PolkaDotsandPaisley May 6, 2012 at 1:33 am #

I normally don’t like burlap but this looks great. I’m definitely going to try this.

32. Unknown June 13, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

33. Unknown June 13, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

I love this idea!!! One question though. Where did you get that Awesome frame?

34. Meaghan June 20, 2012 at 2:31 am #

Where did you get your frame? Thanks so much!

35. Victoria May 9, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

So pretty!! I love this. I shared it in my round up today: http://www.vixenmade.com/2013/05/last-minute-mothers-day-gifts.html

36. Shelby October 22, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

Hi, what did you use to pin up the earrings?

• Amy @ Positively Splendid October 23, 2013 at 5:45 am #

The earring backs fit perfectly through the holes in the burlap. Thanks for stopping in!

1. Trendspotting Report – July 2011 - January 5, 2013

[...] projects using cool fonts and typography: 1. Font necklace 2. Embroidery Hoop Typography 3. Burlap Initial Earring Holder Tutorial 4. Subway Art Clock Tutorial 5. Wooden Sign 6. Appliqued Number Pillow 7. Subway Art with [...]

2. 11 Burlap projects for your home with Tutorials | Simply Swider - May 6, 2013

[...] adorable Framed burlap earring holder incorporates two of my other favorite things: teal and [...]

3. 9 Unique Gifts for Women | Somewhere in the Middle - November 19, 2013

[…] Framed Burlap Earring Holder - for the earring aficionado […]

4. DIY Tufted Ribbon Memo Board | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - November 20, 2013

[…] Framed Burlap Earring Holder […]