June 8, 2011

Fathers’ Day Photo Collage + Free Printables

**Updated 6/7/12: Because of the outpouring of comments I’ve received requesting some different variations of the printables for this project, I have created sets with a number of additional names, as well as printables that say “I love you because” instead of “we love you because” for families with just one child.

To peruse all of the files that are available for download for this project, click here.

If you are wanting to make a version of this project for the moms in your life, check out the collection of printables I made for Mothers’ Day.

Please remember that these files are for personal use only. You can use them to make as many gifts as you desire, but please don’t make anything for profit. Thank you!

I was lucky enough this week to get my hands on my very own set of No Biggie Bubbles, and the moment they arrived at my doorstep, I knew I had to find a way to use them for Fathers’ Day. I absolutely love how these photo collages of the kiddos turned out, and I know our dads will, too!

Creating these couldn’t possibly be simpler:

Snap photos of your kiddos holding signs telling what they love most about their daddy (dad, papa, granddad, etc.).

Download one of the free “We {heart} You” files below, deciding which orientation and wording suits your needs.

Use Picasa (available for FREE through Google) to create a collage using the file you just downloaded and your sweet photos, and print them onto photo paper (or send them off to be professionally printed). Not familiar with how to create a collage in Picasa? Here’s a quick how-to.

step 1 / Select your desired photos and your “We {heart} You” file by clicking on them with your mouse while holding down the Ctrl button on your keyboard. Now, click on the button that says “Collage” at the bottom of the screen.

step 2/ With the “Settings” tab selected, choose the grid option from the first drop-down menu. Use the slider just below that to adjust the spacing between your pictures. At this point, drag and drop your photos to rearrange them as desired within your collage. Now, choose your size (I used 8×10) and then click on “Create Collage.” Print out your collage, and place it in a frame. That’s all there is to it!

If you have more or fewer kiddos, you’ll have to adjust the layout of your collage accordingly. Fortunately, Picasa gives you plenty of options for doing just that!

I have made one of these for Mr. Splendid, and one for each of our dads from the kiddos. I love that this was such a quick and easy project, but that it is one that has such sentimental value. I think everyone will love it!

If you are interested in putting together one (or a few!) of these collages, I have created two different sets of the “We {heart} You” files, in both vertical and horizontal orientations depending upon your needs, which you can download for free. I hope you’ll find the name your kids call the special guy in your life below. :)

These files were created for an optimal printing size of 5×7. If the collage idea isn’t for you, another terrific option would be to frame the printable on its own, and then display the framed photos of your kiddos alongside it. What a darling mantel display that would make!

To see all of the printable files for this project that are available for free download, click here.

Some of the names included: Dad, Daddy, Papa, Pop, Pops, Granddad, Grandpa, Gramps, and more!

100 Responses to Fathers’ Day Photo Collage + Free Printables

1. Kelli @ RTSM June 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

Amy that is too cute! I love the colors and the fun chalkboard:) I may have to try making one to use as a photo prop.

2. junescott June 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

What a great idea, Amy! We don’t have any kids… I wonder if people will think I’m too weird if I made one with our animals (since we have parrots, the talking bubbles would be appropriate – ha!)

3. Natalie June 8, 2011 at 8:31 pm #

This is fabulous! If I get off my butt and manage to do this, I’m sure it will be a hit! Thanks so much for the files and the awesome idea!

4. Irum June 8, 2011 at 9:25 pm #

adorable………………….. just fantastic.

5. Rutheah Rodehorst June 8, 2011 at 11:20 pm #

i love this! we are going to make it…our daddy is deployed to iraq right now…so this will be such a fun thing for him to receive in the mail! great idea…thank you!!

6. Janna June 9, 2011 at 12:17 am #

Awesome Amy!!! You look gorgeous, your blog looks gorgeous!!! I feel like I’ve missed so much after having been at school!!! Great to “visit” you :) Take care crafty girl!

7. PartyMom June 10, 2011 at 1:45 am #

Those are just adorable!

8. kami @ nobiggie.net June 10, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

What a darling idea, Amy! They turned out so cute!

ps. I’m so glad you like them! and they came to you okay. :)

9. laura June 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

is there any chance you have a “Bubba” one? :)

10. Mrs. Me&U June 17, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

I LOVE this! I just created mine with two pictures of each kid and one of the two of them. I can’t wait to give it to my husband. Thank you so much!

11. Steph @ Crafting in the Rain June 19, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

I used this, so thank you!
    In case you want to see:

12. Your Frugal Friend, Niki June 20, 2011 at 7:12 pm #

Neat project….

I just happened upon your blog and I am liking what I see!

13. Katy September 16, 2011 at 1:26 am #

Very cute.. You need a Nana one…

14. JackieSS November 4, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

I LOVE this idea!! I definitely have to keep it in mind this holiday season! So glad I came across this idea from this Thoughtful Personalized Gifts list :)

15. SayItMyWay February 2, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing this! I am going to do this for Daddy’s Birthday!

16. Mere27 May 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

What program did you use for the templates. I was going to use this idea for Mother’s day this year for the grandmothers.

17. Mere27 May 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

18. kelly818 May 2, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

Any way you can create a printable that says grandma?

19. Amy @ Positively Splendid May 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

@Mere27 – I used Picasa for the templates.
    @kelly818 – I am actually in the process of doing that very thing right now, so stay tuned! :)

20. Channell Family May 5, 2012 at 1:08 am #

This comment has been removed by the author.

21. Susie's Crafts May 5, 2012 at 1:12 am #

LOVE this idea!! Is there a way to make it read “I” instead of “we” (only have 1 toddler)?

22. JAMIE May 8, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

Hi – I was wondering if you could upload one of the documents to say “Daddy I love you because…” All of the ones below say “we” but I only have one child :)

23. safdar ali May 9, 2012 at 11:17 am #

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

24. Becca May 13, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

SO cute! I only have one son..is there any way you could make one that says “I love you because” for dad?

Thanks,
    Rebecca
    becca1792@cs.com

25. cdc10 May 21, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

Could you make a “Pops”?

26. cdc10 May 21, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

Could you make a “Pops”?

27. cdc10 May 21, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

Could you make a “Pops”?

28. justtssol May 23, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

Could you make one with “I” instead of “we”. Please…. I only have one child and would love to use this. Thanks!

29. Amy @ Positively Splendid May 23, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Hi, everyone! I am planning to share a new set with as many of your requests as possible on the blog very soon. Stay tuned! So glad you enjoy this project.

30. Katie McMahon May 25, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

Is there a way to make one that says “Poppy”? Or is there a way for me to edit it? Such a cute idea!

31. Ms. Liebel May 31, 2012 at 2:03 am #

I would love to do this with my students this week for father’s day. Is there any way you could make a template with the words “Dad, I love you because…” I am excited to go buy the frames this weekend

32. Anne-Marie June 6, 2012 at 11:46 pm #

Could you include a “Dadda we love you” one? Also where did you get the photo frame which matches the wording color so well?

33. Amy @ Positively Splendid June 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

@Anne-Marie – I used Krylon spray paint in moss for the frame. And I have added Dadda to the list of names. You can find it by clicking on the updated link in the post. Thanks! :)

34. mellywoods5 June 8, 2012 at 12:36 am #

Thanks Amy, you’re very kind to do this I think I will have the kids do one for my Dad and my husband – I have a little more planning time our Fathers day falls in September so blog world is awesome for plenty of preparation time. :)

35. Kbear June 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

What a great idea! I can’t find the download for “Daddy” there are multiple variations but not “Daddy”. Am I looking in the wrong place?

36. Amy @ Positively Splendid June 8, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

@Kbear, from the link provided, there are actually two full pages of available printables. The daddy printables are on the second page. Enjoy!

37. Amy @ Positively Splendid June 8, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Nava91 June 14, 2012 at 3:01 am #

Can you do one that says Wello? I’m doing these for Father’s day!

38. Stephanie S June 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

Amy- I love this and will be doing this for Father’s Day; but I’m having trouble downloading the files I need. I can see where it says download, but when I click on it nothing happens. Any suggestions? I’m not sure if it’s on my end or not.

Also, for a cheap, easy way to make the conversation bubbles, I’m using core foam board and chalk board spray paint. Let’s hope it works!

39. Katie Swann June 9, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Amy, Would you mind making a Grampy I love you because and a Grampy we love you because?

Thanks!!

40. Ally Jean June 11, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

I love this idea! I only wish my Kiddo was old enough to say something about Dad!

I shared this idea on my blog with a collection of other DIY Father’s Day Gifts! Thanks!

41. Ashley Turner June 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Love this idea! Is there any way to change the colors on the printable??

42. Kelsey Lewis June 11, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

Could you make one that reads “Pappy, we love you because”? I would love to use this for Father’s day for grandparents of my kids. Thanks!

43. Deb Chitwood June 12, 2012 at 11:40 am #

What a wonderful idea … and thanks for so generously sharing your free printables, Amy! I featured your printables as the Free Printable(s) of the Day at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

44. Unknown June 13, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

This is such a cute idea!! Is there anyway you could do one with a Paw Bear printable?

45. Jen Karter June 13, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

I love love love this and plan to make for all the dads/grands in our lives!

Do you have one for an “Opa”, by change? My step-dad is German and my kids call him Opa.

Thanks…love all your creative ideas and tips!

46. cindy June 13, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

Great idea!! Could you make one that says Papaw, We heart you because? My email is cindysales101@gmail.com thanks!

47. Andrea Stroeve-Sawa June 13, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

LOVE this idea sooo much would like to make one for “opa” too! IF you could add one that said OPA that would be fantastic THANK YOU! what a wonderful heart felt father’s day gift!

48. ShawSisters June 14, 2012 at 2:40 am #

Love this project! I am doing this for father’s day. I also used the meijer photo shop online to create a collage. Could you possibly add Grampy and Opa to your list? Thanks again for the idea!

49. Nat and Holly June 14, 2012 at 6:48 am #

Amy, You are so incredibly sweet to make all of these different versions! I love this idea and pinned it when you first posted it :) Hope you have a wonderful Father’s Day weekend with you family!

50. Lerin Standley June 14, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Is there any way you can move the “daddy” to the first page. Nothing happens when I click on “next” to access the next page where I’m assuming the “daddy” printable is located.

Thanks

51. b105720e-b661-11e1-9073-000bcdcb471e June 14, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

I love this!! But I don’t have any cute little chalkboards :) Where did you find these or can I make them here at home? Love your ideas!!!

52. b105720e-b661-11e1-9073-000bcdcb471e June 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

Love this! Where can I find the cute chalkboards? Or did you make them? Thanks for the idea!

53. Hollywood0805 June 14, 2012 at 11:25 pm #

Love this idea. I just went and got a cheap wood piece at the craft store then painted it with chalkboard paint and wood paint on the side for color. I had a hard time fitting the pics though. What setting did you use?

54. Brittany June 15, 2012 at 2:06 am #

Love this idea!!! You have a fantastic blog! Is there any way you can make one with the name Saba? Thanks if you can I know it is late notice!

55. Amy @ Positively Splendid June 15, 2012 at 2:45 am #

I have added all of the names y’all requested to the file linked above. Enjoy! :)

@Stephanie S – Are you still having problems with the download? All works fine on my end, so I’m not sure what to suggest?? So sorry! Love your idea for the foam board!

@Ashley – I can change names, but not the color scheme.

@Lerin – After you’ve clicked to the second page, click back again to page one, and you should be able to see the Daddy printables then. It must be a glitch of some sort.

The chalkboards I used are No Biggie Bubbles available at NoBiggie.net (there is a direct link in the tutorial above).

@Hollywoo0805 – Are you referring to the size I used in Picasa? If so, my collage was 8×10.

56. sbull June 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

Any chance you can make one that says Geda, we love you because…..
    Thanks so much!!

57. JSharp June 15, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

Could you make Pampa by chance? I have been trying to create one but they aren’t even close to as cute as yours! LMK and Thank you!!!

58. K June 15, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

love! thank you for sharing!

59. Unknown June 15, 2012 at 11:24 pm #

If you have time, can you please make one that says “Tata I love you because”? I LOVE seeing all of the different names that our children call their Grandpa!

60. Brittany @ My Decoupaged Life June 16, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

This is so adorable. It would be fun to do this each year and see how the reasons change. I just wanted to let you know that I featured you on Show Off Saturday.

61. amy freeman June 16, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

could you do…we love you big daddy because…????

62. Gretchen June 17, 2012 at 3:04 am #

This is so cute! I just made ours for tomorrow & can’t wait to give them to my dad & husband. Thanks so much for this adorable idea & the captions to go with it! :)

63. Ashley Sovastion September 15, 2012 at 5:36 am #

I would love to make one for my daughter’s grandparents. She calls them Pooh and Bobums.

64. Ashley Sovastion September 15, 2012 at 5:36 am #

Gammy and Mamaw?
    Thank you so much!

65. Devin March 9, 2013 at 1:52 am #

Can you do a MIMI ??? Thank you soo much!

66. Krista April 9, 2013 at 11:14 am #

I am all ready to go! Can’t wait to make this with our three kids for my husband’s birthday! :) Crazy question for you… I see all of the file options, but not the original “Daddy, we love you because…” Am I totally missing it? Thanks for your help! ADORABLE idea! :)

67. Heather April 24, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

I love this! I made it last year for my husband for Father’s Day. I’d like to make one for my children’s grandparents together! Do you have a “generic” slide that just says, “We love you because…”? I’ve been looking thru the list, and I don’t see one?

68. Megan May 23, 2013 at 10:38 am #

I was wondering how you got the white frames around each individual picture? I don’t see an option for that but I’m totally new to Picasa. Going to work on some cute pics tonight while Daddy is out of town!

69. Sarah June 3, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

Can you PLEASE make a Pap Pap file??? I want to make one for my dad from his 9 grandkids, and that’s what they all call him! Thank you!!!

70. Kristen June 5, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

Can you make one to say “Baba”? Thanks :)

71. rhianna June 12, 2013 at 12:22 am #

LOVE the Father’s Day collage. Is it possible to have one say “Nono” (Italian grandpa)
    Thanks so much!!

72. Adelina Priddis June 12, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

I was wondering if I could add this to my Fathers Day round up post. Love the idea, and you’re kids are so cute. Thanks!

73. Julie P June 12, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

These are totally awesome! Thanks so much for sharing and for making so many different names. I found the ones I need.

74. Sarah June 15, 2013 at 10:29 am #

Can you PLEASE add a Pap Pap one??? I read your update and thought you were going to add a few – but I haven’t seen any new ones and definitely not Pap Pap! Please update if you have time today – I really wanted to give this to my father tomorrow and obviously today is the last chance I have to make it. I already have all the pictures of my kids with the signs!

75. Christy June 15, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

Hello Amy,
    I am so impressed with your organization. I wish I was half that organized. But, alas, I am not. So that is why I am writing you on the day before Fathers Day to ask if you could make a downloadable file that says “We (heart) Daddy because…”
    and “We (heart) papaw because…”. Sorry for the last minute request and thanks for anything you can do.

76. Hodge Podge June 29, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

Hi there, great blog!

This post inspired me (I had a different idea, but you definitely influenced me), so thank you!
    Here’s the link in case you want to have a look :)

77. Letty October 16, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

Is it possible to do a version that says:

Papai, we love you because…

(that is Portuguese)…

Thank you!! :)

1. Low-Tech Homemade Gifts For All! « spoketech - November 28, 2012

[...] Frames With a Message [...]

2. Spoke Technologies » Low-Tech Homemade Gifts For All! - December 23, 2012

[...] Frames With a Message [...]

3. A Special Handmade Valentine for Dad - B-InspiredMama.com - January 23, 2013

[...] adore him and were very excited to help me make a special gift for him.  When I came across this Father’s Day Photo Collage from Positively Splendid, I knew it would make a perfect Valentine, too.  I just adjusted ours to [...]

4. Regalos creativos para el día del padre | Con tus manitas - February 25, 2013

[...]   4.- Mensaje en pizarra 5.-Pies B&N [...]

5. 8 Inspirational Ideas For Reusing Your Old Picture Frames | BargainMoose Canada - April 4, 2013

[...] love this Father’s Day idea from Positively Splendid. She took photos of her kids with chalkboard quote signs that said what they loved about their dad. [...]

6. 34 Father's Day Crafts to Make - May 22, 2013

[...] so many options! Buy a 3 picture frame and you have the perfect Father’s Day gift! 34.  Father’s Day Photo Collage {Pictures} ~ What a fun way to tell dad happy father’s day this year! Following the simple directions you [...]

7. DIY Friday: Photo-Centric Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Pure Inspiration - May 24, 2013

[...] Photo Collage with Speech Bubbles. If you have multiple kids this project is perfect! Get them to hold speech bubbles with notes written inside of them and snap their photo. Then combine the pictures in one frame for a Father’s Day gift he’ll cherish forever. Get the DIY tutorial from Positively Splendid. [...]

8. DIY Friday: Photo-Centric Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Pure Inspiration - May 24, 2013

9. Fathers Day Ideas | PinAddicts Challenge - May 24, 2013

[...] Find out how to make this great photo collage [...]

10. 10 smagiausių dovanų idėjų mylimam tėčiui. | Life Decor Studio - May 28, 2013

[...] Šaltinis ir instrukcijos: Positively splendid [...]

11. Father's Day Gift Ideas « Brown Sugar ToastBrown Sugar Toast - May 31, 2013

[...] photo collage – this is a perfect gift for your guy to take to the office. [...]

12. 21 Ideas to Make Fathers Day Special DIY Kids Crafts Toddlers | Powerful Mothering - June 2, 2013

[...] positivelysplendid.com via Powerful Mothering on [...]

13. Cool DIY Father’s Day Gifts | The Motherload - June 6, 2013

[...] Chalkboard Thought Bubbles Photo Collage @ Positively Splendid [...]

14. 7 Last Minute Father's Day Gifts for Kids | Thirty-one:10Thirty-one:10 - June 6, 2013

[...]  Frame a picture of the kids for his [...]

15. Endlessly Inspired - June 10, 2013

[...] Another insanely sweet photo collage. [...]

16. Toddler Tuesday – Father’s Day Gift Ideas | My Healthy Happy Home - June 11, 2013

[...] (Source)  [...]

17. 5 FREE Father’s Day Printables! | A Dreamer's Wife - June 11, 2013

[...] Father’s Day Photo Collage & Printables from Positively Splendid  [...]

18. What We Did for Father’s Day - Carrots Are Orange - June 12, 2013

[...] year I saw this post on Pinterest and fell in love! Last year we replicated it with her amazing FREE printables. This year we updated [...]

19. The Shopping Mama » Father’s Day Gift Guide 2013: Last Minute Crafts for Dad - June 12, 2013

[...] Shopping Mama) :: PIN IT 4. Hand’s Down Best Dad (source: RootsandWingsCo) :: PIN IT 5. “We Love You Because” Photo Collage (source: Positively Splendid) :: PIN IT 6. Father’s Day Menu & Interview [...]

20. 5 Homemade Father’s Day Gifts « Milestone Blog - June 12, 2013

[...] these free printables from Positively Splendid to make a photo collage for dad. Get a small chalkboard and write things you love about your dad [...]

21. Sweet and Simple Fathers Day Gift Ideas - Dinker and Giggles - June 12, 2013

[...] Photo and Collage by Positively Splendid [...]

22. Friday Favorites–Father’s Day, Part 2 | Crafty Staci - June 14, 2013

[...] Father’s Day Photo Collage from Positively Splendid is cute, and dads always love photos of the kiddos.  Bonus points for getting them to sit [...]