July 19, 2011

Peach Dumpling Recipe

There are some recipes my sweet mother likes to refer to in their preparation as “easier than falling off a log.”

Friends, this recipe falls into that category, but you would never, ever, ever know it by taking a taste!

If you’re from the South, chances are that the secret ingredient in this recipe won’t cause you to bat an eye, because desserts like this one have been making their rounds at barbecues and church pot lucks around these parts for a couple of years now. If you happen to hail from elsewhere, you will undoubtedly think I’ve lost my marbles when I reveal to you what gives these peach dumplings such a luscious kick.

Ready for it? Mountain Dew.

I’ll be honest: I’m generally the world’s greatest skeptic when it comes to recipes using odd-ball, pre-fab ingredients. I have to say, though, that one bite was all it took to win me over for these little guys, and I have a feeling you’ll feel exactly the same way!

Peach Dumplings
(from a recent issue of Southern Living)

2 (8-oz.) cans refrigerated crescent rolls
2 pounds fresh, firm, ripe peaches, peeled and quartered (4 large)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (12-oz.) can Mountain Dew

Preheat oven to 350°. Unroll crescent rolls and separate into triangles. Place 1 peach quarter on wide end of each triangle; roll up triangles around peaches, starting at wide end. Place, point sides down, in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan. Stir together sugar, butter, and cinnamon, and drizzle over rolls; pour soft drink over rolls. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.

Serve with a healthy dollop of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream.

9 Responses to Peach Dumpling Recipe

1. Kelli @ RTSM July 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

This sounds yummy! I think my grandmother makes something similar to this:)

2. Leslie July 19, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

Yum! I am so going to make this this wknd! thx for the recipe! :)

3. June Scott July 19, 2011 at 11:20 pm #

Yum, Amy! Thanks for sharing and only Blue Bell ice cream will do!

4. Sue July 20, 2011 at 1:28 am #

I saw this recipe in the magazine and had it earmarked, but then ate the WONDERFUL peaches before I got around to making it:) I was seriously considering leaving out the soda, but you have convinced me otherwise:)

5. Jenn Erickson July 23, 2011 at 7:16 pm #

Whoah, Amy, that looks incredible. Peaches are one of my very favorite things about summer, and finding new peach recipes is always a treat! I look forward to trying this one!

6. Karen June 19, 2013 at 12:51 pm #

Thanks for sharing!! These are so good & I’ve had em with apples….yummy!!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid June 21, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

I bet they are delicious with apples, too!

7. Chyrel Bell November 4, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

Hello:
    Will it be ok to substitute canned peach slices in place of the fresh ones, or will it ruin the outcome?

• Amy @ Positively Splendid November 4, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

Hi, Chyrel! Often, the moisture content of canned fruit is much higher than fresh, so they shouldn’t be used as a substitute. It is, however, perfectly find to use frozen instead of fresh! I hope this helps.