August 1, 2011

Corn Salsa

There is nothing more satisfying to me from a culinary perspective than to take ingredients at their seasonal peak and allow them to shine with a simple, no-fuss recipe. This recipe is one that certainly fits that bill! In this easy corn salsa recipe, fresh corn and an array of colorful peppers are dressed simply here with a tangy, somewhat spicy dressing. Served atop or alongside grilled chicken or fish, or on its own with crispy tortilla chips, this salsa is equally perfect for serving at gatherings or enjoying on busy weeknights.
Corn Salsa
(Adapted from the Savoring the Southwest Again cookbook)
3 cups fresh corn kernels, blanched 3 minutes (or, alternatively, 2 [11-oz.] cans shoepeg corn, drained)
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
5 scallions, thinly sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, cored seeded and finely diced
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk vinegar and mustard in a small bowl; gradually add oil, whisking constantly. Add cilantro to vinegar mixture, along with Tabasco, cayenne, salt and black pepper. Whisk well. Drizzle vinegar mixture over corn mixture, and toss until well combined. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

, , ,

10 Responses to Corn Salsa

1. Brycie @ Reenie Jae Creations August 1, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

YUMMY! I love corn salsa! In my family we call it “Cowboy Caviar”….ha

2. lovemyelement August 1, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

This looks yummy, going to make it today to eat with hamburgers for dinner. I may even throw a few tomatoes from the garden in. thanks!

3. claudia b August 1, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

this looks awesome, we just harvested some corn today and we’re having fish tacos for dinner, so it will be a perfect side – thanks for sharing!

4. Kara August 2, 2011 at 12:09 am #

This is a favorite at our house too. And now I am officially drooling! :)

5. Molly Smith August 2, 2011 at 2:26 am #

Got here from Jen’s TT&J facebook post. Looks delicious and I thank you, Amy, for sharing the recipe! YUM ~Molly

6. Kelli @ RTSM August 4, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

That sounds so yummy! I love corn but I don’t think I’ve ever had a dish like this before. I’m have to try it the next time we grill:)

7. Lorie August 4, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

Yum! We call that cowboy caviar in these parts! ;D

And I saw your ceiling medallion clock on Shaty and LOVE it!

8. Lorie August 4, 2011 at 7:43 pm #

That was supposed to say Shanty! ;D

9. Coolestpartyideas August 7, 2011 at 5:45 am #

YUMMY! Look amazing and simple! Great!

1. Southwestern Steak Salad | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - October 14, 2013

[…] {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} http://www.positivelysplendid.com/wordpress/ I used my fresh corn salsa recipe for this dish, but you could easily substitute […]