August 30, 2011

DIY Painted Ceramic Tile Tutorial

I absolutely love the vibrant colors found in authentic Mexican Talavera tile, and I have always wanted to find a way to replicate it myself.  I have never tackled a porcelain painting project like this one, primarily because I was always turned off by the high price of the ceramic paints intended for this purpose. As a crafter, I hate investing a fair amount in a product, knowing it will only be able to put to one type of use. I prefer products that know how to multi-task as well as I do!

Enter the new Martha Stewart Crafts Decorative Paint Line by Plaid available now only at Michaels Craft Stores. These paints are incredible: with just one bottle, you can tackle just about any craft project your heart desires. Be the medium fabric, wood, plastic, metal or glass or porcelain, as I’m using here, these paints certainly earn their keep. I love that they can be used indoors or outdoors, and they are top-rack dishwasher safe! And with a color assortment that includes five different finishes (gloss, high gloss, glitter, metallic and pearl, which I’ve used here) in 160 gorgeous hues, you are certain to find just what you’re looking for to create the project you’ve envisioned.

I was recently sent a generous package of goodies from Plaid Crafts to take this new line of Marta Stewart Paint products out for a spin. Be still my crafting heart!!

Just look at those colors, and all of those fabulous tools! I can’t wait to try everything in this arsenal out. The fabric medium and spray painting system (turn any bottle of this paint into spray paint – so cool!) are two of my personal favorites. It was so hard to narrow down which goodies to try first!

For this project, I used the following:

Martha Stewart Crafts™ 2oz Multi-Surface Pearl Acrylic Craft Paint
Martha Stewart Crafts™ Cathedral Lace Laser-Cut Stencils
Martha Stewart Crafts™ Foam Pouncers Set – 6pc
Adhesive Spray
White 4-inch Porcelain Tiles (just 16 cents apiece at Lowe’s!)

To embellish my tiles, I simply sprayed the back of my stencil with some spray adhesive to hold it in place as I applied the paint with the foam pouncers. I used a variety of colors here: orange, silvery blue, aqua and gold. I wanted these tiles to have a fallish feel.

Once I finished applying my paint, I removed my stencils while the paint was still wet. I placed each of my tiles onto a baking sheet in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes, and then turned the oven off, leaving the tiles in the oven to cool.

My tiles are now ready to serve any number of purposes, but I really love the idea of coating them with a layer of polyacrylic and adhering a square of felt on the bottom of each one to make a lovely set of coasters. Another terrific stocking stuffer idea!

Thanks so much for stopping by today!

Full post disclosure here.

Somewhat Simple
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Tip Junkie
Today’s Creative Blog
Tatertots and Jello

27 Responses to DIY Painted Ceramic Tile Tutorial

1. Amanda @ Serenity Now August 30, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

Those are adorable, Amy. Love the orange. Did the spray adhesive come off the back of the stencils easily? When I worked on my project, I was too scared to use spray adhesive b/c I didn’t know how well it would wash off and didn’t want a pile of sticky stencils. Great work!

2. Jen @ My Own Road August 30, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

So jealous of your prize bundle!! Martha – you can send stuff my way anytime you want to ;) Love the coasters!

3. Miss Kitty August 30, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

Those paints look amazing. I just got a 40% off coupon for Martha’s paint at Michaels…I think I’ll go today and try some myself. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with the new paints.

4. Alicia August 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

Great project! Easy gift idea too! Personalizing them for each friend! Love it!

5. Suzie August 30, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

just curious…are the paints food safe?

6. Meggan of Lila Grace August 30, 2011 at 5:38 pm #

So pretty!! Love the colors!

7. Katie August 30, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

I love the stencil and colors you used! I can just imagine making an amazing unique back splash!

8. Steph August 31, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

Oh what gorgeous colors! And I love how you used parts of the stencil designs on each tile. So creative!

9. Honey at 2805 September 1, 2011 at 2:03 am #

Your painted tiles are positively splendid!!

Hope you will bring one of your projects or posts to my Potpourri Friday Party. Link up begins Thursday afternoon. Your participation will help make it a success!

10. Sara September 1, 2011 at 2:10 am #

Oh my how creative!! Would LOVE it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin’ party going on right now!! ;) http://www.sweetlittlegals.com

11. Tara September 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Those are so cute! I’ve always wanted to try something like this. Thanks for sharing!!

12. bailey k. September 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

gorgeous! thanks for sharing!

13. Nellene September 1, 2011 at 9:59 pm #

Love your color choices!! Since your posted method requires baking, do you know of another method to paint already installed tiles? How cool to do this to spruce up an old bathroom you can’t afford to demo at the moment…

14. Mod Podge Amy September 5, 2011 at 1:55 am #

Beautiful color choices! These are awesome.

15. Rachel September 5, 2011 at 3:01 am #

Gorgeous! I LOVE the design and colors. I would love it if you would stop by and share at the crafty link party going on right now at Lines Across My Face.
    I hope to see you soon,
    Rachel

16. Sara @ Mom Endeavors September 5, 2011 at 3:53 am #

Love this! These would make such great presents! I bet the kiddos would love making something like this for grandparents.
    As Amanda asked, I’m curious about the adhesive spray too! I was nervous to use it on my project. Did it come off the stencils?

17. betweenarockandahobby September 6, 2011 at 1:44 am #

I want to run to my nearest ReStore and buy some plain tiles and make my own right now! These are great!

18. Evie September 6, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

So pretty…looks like a really fun project! And what sweet bundle of supplies you were given!!

evie @ brown paper packages

19. stinababy September 6, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

WOW!! I saw the Martha Stewart product line at our Michael’s yesterday and was impressed with the selection of colors and other products she had. Now that I’ve seen your creative art I will be heading back to Michael’s to pick up some of Martha’s paints. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

20. Katie September 8, 2011 at 1:36 am #

This. Is. Genius! I can’t wait to make all kinds of gifts with these! So creative!!

21. Lowri September 8, 2011 at 7:13 am #

These look fantastic and thanks for the great tutorial!

Thanks for sharing
    Lowri :-)

22. paige September 16, 2011 at 4:17 am #

Wow! These tiles are really beautiful! I think they would be perfect for my brand new linky party!

Creative Genius @ http://www.thecreativepaige.com!

23. Jenelle September 19, 2011 at 6:06 am #

I am a new follower and couldn’t wait to start this project! a friend and I spent 3 hrs doing these tonight! it was so fun! check out our final products! =) http://jenelle127.blogspot.com/ thanks for posting!

24. Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} September 22, 2011 at 8:08 am #

Cute Cute! I love the colors you used :)

25. Pattie July 27, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

Do you think that these products will work for bland tiles surrounding a fireplace? I will not be able to put them in the oven!

26. Sabrina July 24, 2013 at 6:37 am #

You can not imagine how happy i am to see that you’ve posted this! Maybe i’m just not searching properly, but this was the only place where i could find out how to paint my own (premade) tiles. All of the other sites only told me how to do it from scratch!
    Sooo THANK YOU!

1. Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » Make a Growth Chart Mirror + 40 more projects - June 30, 2013

[...] Painted Ceramic Tiles at Positively Splendid [...]