August 17, 2011

Easy Granola Bar Recipe

Super quick and easy, these easy homemade granola bars are a great way to incorporate some healthy fiber, nuts and dried fruit into your (or you little one’s!) diet. These make for a terrific after school snack or on-the-go breakfast!
Skip the store-bought version and make granola bars from scratch. Easy and so delicious!
Easy Granola Bars
(adapted from USA Weekend)
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 assorted dried fruit (we love blueberries and cranberries)
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
Thoroughly mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. (This is a terrific recipe to make with little helpers!) Turn into prepared pan and, using cooking spray-coated hands, pat down until firmly packed. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature, and then put pan in freezer.
When bar is firm, use a sharp knife to cut into 1×4-inch bars. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

15 Responses to Easy Granola Bar Recipe

1. Kelli @ RTSM August 17, 2011 at 8:32 pm #

I’ve always wanted to try making homemade granola bars! This sounds like a great recipe to try too:) Thanks for sharing Amy!

2. Stef August 17, 2011 at 9:17 pm #

Those look awesome, Amy!! My kids love granola bars and I’d love to make them with real food! Thanks!

3. Lizzy August 17, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

Yum–they look delicious–we will have to try this one out. My kids would love helping with something like this. Thanks for posting the recipe!

4. Lorie August 18, 2011 at 12:25 am #

Those look YUMMY! And great for the kiddos to take to schooL!

5. www.apronsandapples@blogspot.com August 18, 2011 at 1:40 am #

YUM! Any ideas what I could substitute for the sweetened condensed milk as this part is the only unhealthy part? Thanks for the recipe. Kristy from http://www.apronsandapples.blogspot.com

6. Aubrey August 18, 2011 at 2:08 am #

oh yum! and how’d you know I’ve been looking for a good bar recipe forever! Now a breakfast bar…hmmm.

7. Vanessa August 18, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

Amy,

This is yummy! I will have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Vanessa
    homesweetbutterfly.com

8. www.apronsandapples@blogspot.com August 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm #

YEAH FOR THE LINK to the sub for condensed milk!!! THANK YOU!! I am going to link up to this post with the new milk recipe!! THANKS!! Kristy from http://www.apronsandapples.blogspot.com

9. Jeni August 18, 2011 at 7:40 pm #

I was thinking the same thing about the sweetened condensed milk – so glad to find an alternative! Thanks!

10. I♥naptime w/ Chocolate Sundaes August 22, 2011 at 3:29 am #

These look really yummy! I’m going to have to try these! Thanks for sharing. Hope your doing good. Hugs!

11. Kellie August 22, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

Thanks for the tips. I’ve tried homemade granola bars in the past and they were tasty, but didn’t really resemble granola bars. These look great!

12. Keri May 7, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

Also wondering if there is something that could sub the condensed milk. I am making these right now (mostly for me lol tried another recipe for the kids but don’t like it). Anyways, both of my kids have a milk sensitivity, so I’m looking for a non-dairy sub for the condensed milk.

Thanks!

13. JerseyGirl May 10, 2012 at 1:33 am #

I saw people asking about what to use instead of condensed milk but didn’t see the response. Can someone repost what to use as a substitute? Thanks!

14. Amy @ Positively Splendid May 10, 2012 at 2:58 am #

Hi, everyone! It is possible to make a homemade substitute for the sweetened condensed milk. I have never done it myself, so I can’t vouch personally for this one, but this is a recipe I found through a Google search: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,183,151170-247198,00.html

@Keri, I honestly am not much help in terms of the non-dairy substitute. Maybe there is a soy alternative out there? So sorry not to have anything else to offer there!

1. 16 Easy and Delicious Healthy Baked Snacks {Recipes} - April 16, 2013

[...] Homemade Granola Bars ~ Making your own granola bars is quick and easy. These make for a yummy after school snack or a [...]