September 21, 2011

Done.

You know the saying, “I am so done with this.”

With trying to finish a seemingly impossible project.
With listening to your kiddos fuss at each other.
With dealing with bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Or, in my case at the moment:
With being incredibly pregnant.

As I am in the last days of this pregnancy, I have uttered that phrase on more than one occasion. Because, really, I have grown tired of having to flip myself over every hour during the night like a rotisserie chicken so I don’t literally become stuck in one spot. And I am weary of the waddling. And the sciatica. And the constant need to use the bathroom. Of the way my energy is sapped after accomplishing scarcely a quarter of what I am usually able.

But, oh mercy: I am trying to appreciate each and every moment.

Because when I say now, “I am so done being pregnant,” it is the truth. I will never again go down this road.

When this new little bundle is placed in my arms, a door will be closed on perhaps what I will always consider the most monumental season of my life. We know our little family is complete at six.

So I am trying hard to ignore the aches and pains and inconveniences of pregnant, instead focusing on its miracles:

The shape of a tiny foot or hand (or is that an elbow?) pressing ardently against my belly. “Hello, Mama!”

My excited children leaning close to tell their new sibling they can’t wait or his or her arrival.

Daydreams of who this little creature will be and what he or she will be like.

My body rising to the challenge of growing and sustaining a living being.

I have been pregnant for at least a portion of seven of the last eight years. It has been a journey of growth and maturation, of faith-building and soul-searching. No experience in the world could ever possibly rival the the immense joy – the gratification – of those first moments when each of my sweet children has been placed in my arms, the transient discomfort and irritations of the preceding months completely eclipsed by a love more profound than words can convey.

So when I feel tempted to complain about these last days, I will choose to focus on the positive. Because in one, three, ten years’ time? I have no doubt I will ache to relive even just one more moment of this precious miracle.

For you created my inmost being;
   you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
   your works are wonderful,
   I know that full well.
Psalm 139:13-14

, ,

24 Responses to Done.

1. Two Shades of Pink September 21, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

This post is just beyond precious…and you are the cutest pregnant mommy in the whole universe. And I love how you said you are done but choosing to make a choice to rejoice (as we tell our kids). It is hard and so many of us can relate to that last stretch of “let this be over so I can meet this little one.” Great post Amy.

2. Adriane September 21, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

I can very much relate!! especially to feeling like a rotisserie chicken each night…hehe…

I am six weeks away from my due date, and very much ready to meat my little one and NOT be pregnant for a little while…

Thanks so much for sharing your heart! This post made me smile:)

-Adriane@fruitfulhomejournal.blogspot.com

3. Brenda September 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

It is a bit hard to know that it really is the end of a chapter but having gone through all of those same feelings and emotions after baby number four, I can tell you that I really appreciated the time I took feeling, enjoying and just basking in being pregnant one last time.

It is fun moving on to the next chapter, too. As the kids grow and you are able to to more things together as a family of six.

Enjoy these last days with your three little ones and know we are all waiting with you to welcome baby number four. :)

4. Terrie Mathison September 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

Beautiful post by a beautiful lady! Blessings to you and your family as you soon enjoy your new precious bundle! Thank you for sharing.

5. Julie September 21, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

I have to thank you for your trying not to complain. For someone who has lost more babies than I have gotten here and who would give anything to be pregnant again I really appreciate this post.

6. Tracy Suzanne September 21, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

Hi Amy. That’s a wonderful attitude to have when it’s not always so easy to have. I only had one son so I never had to struggle with taking care of other little ones while being pregnant. I was able to be totally selfish and suffer in bed or on the couch with no one to answer to. Kudos for being a great mom. I just love that photo of you and your daughter. You both look beautiful.

I came by to tell you thank you for posting a wonderful tutorial and for being brilliant last February. I finally got around to making your canvas lined bins. I’m thrilled. I still love yours so much. Anyway I posted it here today, if you’d like to take a peek:

Thanks again Sweetie. Hugs…Tracy :)

7. Amanda @ Serenity Now September 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

What a beautiful post, Amy! Soon enough you’ll meet your new little one and the sciatica will be forgotten. This post made me realize that I really am ready to start thinking about the possibility of a #3…just need to convince T. ;)

8. Kara September 21, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

The rotisserie chicken comment totally cracked me up! I totally remember those loooong nights. Oh, and that photo is so dang cute. I never looked that good pregnant. :)

9. Full Plate Designer September 21, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

Beautiful and beautifully said! Best wishes on this final journey and on the new adventures to come!

10. Big D and Me September 21, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

You look just beautiful…I know it’s difficult but for the most amazing reason in the world – congratulations

11. Emily September 21, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

You are a beautiful pregnant woman! Congratulations.

12. Tam @ Sew Dang Cute September 21, 2011 at 8:05 pm #

There’s the belly! It’s not really fair that you are 9 months pregnant and can look that good. Beautiful as always and I loved the way you phrased everything in this post. It captured my feelings exactly – wish I was better with words. Hopefully you have that baby SOON! XOXO

13. Daisymeh September 21, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

Amy – You look wonderful. I have bookmarked this post. As I am in the beginning weeks (16 along to be exact) of my very first pregnancy, I will look to these words of wisdom when it gets harder near the end. Thank you.

14. Heidiopia September 21, 2011 at 11:30 pm #

Oh, so sweet ~ hang in there! As a mom that just dropped her oldest off at college I can whole-heartedly agree that each and every moment is precious and irreplaceable. Keep the faith!
    Heidi @ Show Some Decor
    PS- dang, i wish I’d looked that fab when I was at the end of my pregnancies. ;-)

15. Jenna September 21, 2011 at 11:51 pm #

Yup! I knew that feeling, and I feel for you! The first thing I said after I pushed her out was “I’m not pregnant anymore!!!” However, I am having “phantom” baby kicks in my belly! So sad that she is out! I had to laugh about rolling over in bed. My husband used to have to wake up and roll me out so I could use the bathroom!

Jenna
    callherhappy.com

16. Lorie September 22, 2011 at 12:28 am #

You look so beautiful! I can’t wait to meet that new baby of yours!!!

17. Judi September 22, 2011 at 12:55 am #

Sweet post and a sweet picture. I can imagine how you are feeling with only a bit more to go before you hold another precious little one in your arms. Hold on to each precious moment as you’ve said for soon enough it all becomes a memory.
    All best…and enjoy..
    Judi

18. Ellie September 22, 2011 at 2:14 am #

What a sweet post this was! I just gave birth to my 3rd child and can completely identify with your sentiment.

19. Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants September 22, 2011 at 5:53 am #

Amy, my youngest is 17 and the only one left at home and just yesterday I told someone I am wanting to go back in time with all my babies at home and that just isn’t going to happen. You are soooo wise to take in every one of these moments. I remember when it was time to stop nursing my last child and I mourned that never would I have that precious time. Enjoy every minute of it!

20. Desiree @ The 36th Avenue September 22, 2011 at 1:30 pm #

Amy,

Thank you so much for this sweet post… it touched my heart.

21. Sarah Howe September 22, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

Just found your blog, and I LOVE it. I am your newest follower! Congrats on the pregnancy, I am sure it isn’t the easiest blessing :)

Sarah

22. Jeni September 22, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

Beautifully written, as always! I completely understand!

23. gnee @ Singing With Birds September 26, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

Amy, you look absolutely adorable. What a wonderful time of life. Best wishes on your new little gift from God!

24. Sky @ Capital B September 29, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

It sure is different with the last, huh? My baby is 2 now and I notice even the way I am mothering him is a bit different just because he is it. Good luck to you in getting your little one here! Thanks for a thoughtful post :) Nice to read, take a deep breath and not tear my hair out after all :)