October 14, 2011

Glitter Holiday Houses (Swell Noel Idea #9)

Stef from Girl. Inspired. is here today for our Swell Noel series with a truly radiant decor idea!

***

I’m so excited to share this super fun holiday project with you while Amy is snuggling on her brand new baby.  Congratulations Amy!!

Two years ago, I saw some amazing glitter houses made by Rhonna Farrer, here.  I immediately bought all the supplies and have been holding on to my stash until now.  Although I intended to do this project way back then, I never found the time with all the other holiday projects I was trying to get done.  When Amy asked for holiday projects nice and early, I knew this would be the perfect opportunity to tackle this glitter bonanza.

The paper mache nesting houses came in a set of three and I ordered them online from Hobby Lobby, but I’m sure those of you who are lucky enough to have Hobby Lobby in your area, can pick them up locally.  This is basically a go crazy kind of craft with no special instructions or rules.  It’s the perfect crafty project for your soul.

The supplies I used include:
acrylic paints
spray paint
Mod Podge
glitter
more glitter
scrapbook paper for the mini banners
jewel brads
pre-made diecuts
iridescent pipe cleaners
fake snow
bead strings
vintage sheet music

To start, I painted all the pieces using either acrylic paint or spray paint.  Both worked fine; spray paint was easier, of course.  On the larger house, I worked in small sections to apply a layer of Mod Podge and then glitter.  For the smaller house, I cut pieces of vintage sheet music to fit each side of the house and glued them on with Mod Podge.  Once they were dry, I cut an X in each window, applied a little more glue, and folded the paper to the inside of each window frame.  Then, I covered the whole house with another coat of Mod Podge.

Once you have your base pieces painted and glittered or decoupaged, it’s time to decorate.  I strung up beads, a dollar store necklace, and a little pennant banner (I cut triangles and sewed them together).  I added tiny pinwheels, some pre-made diecuts, and shiny pipe cleaners.  I attached everything using hot glue and then finished the houses off with some “snow” along the roof edges and around the bottoms.  I spread a bit of glue, snow, and glitter on some little trees, too, to add to the scene.  I wanted to keep the colors bright and non-traditional so that I can set up the little village in our girls’ playroom.  I think it’s just perfect!

For more fun and inspiration, come visit me over at girl. Inspired.
Thank you so much for having me for your Swell Noel series, Amy!  And congratulations again on your new baby boy.  I know you’ll soak up every minute of this precious time with your family!
***
I absolutely adore this idea! What a festive display, and fun to create, too!

Latest posts by Amy @ Positively Splendid (see all)

, , ,

16 Responses to Glitter Holiday Houses (Swell Noel Idea #9)

1. Janlynn October 15, 2011 at 1:02 am #

Your houses are truly spectacular! I too have had the plan to make these houses. But you did it. And so beautifully.

2. Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants October 15, 2011 at 3:59 am #

I love the decoupaged one, great idea!!!

3. FashionFreak/Mihaela October 15, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Great post. I really like your blog.^^

my blog♥mfashionfreak

Please follow me if you’re not already so I could make a GIVEAWAY. I’d love to get more followers! I’ll follow you back.

4. Rhonda October 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

These are so incredibly adorable! I will be pinning this and doing this for christmas! Headed to Hobby Lobby today!

5. Tracy Suzanne October 16, 2011 at 1:11 am #

Amy, they’re both just gorgeous! I love the believe tag that’s on the one.

Glitter and Glitz, boy that just puts me in the mood.

Enjoy your weekend. Hugs…Tracy :)

6. Twigs and Twirls October 16, 2011 at 1:17 am #

OMG these are beautiful !!! I had one one these in my hand last week and I put it back. I most definately NEED to get them now.

7. Becky Dunham October 16, 2011 at 3:25 am #

These are absolutely gorgeous! I want to create a whole bunch for my mantle! Hmm, I wonder if my cats can get onto my mantle….

8. Coley October 16, 2011 at 3:55 am #

Ohmygosh, I LOVE how these turned out! I just made a little haunted house village out of wooden bird houses and was already thinking I need to make a winter village since I love them so much. This gives me a great starting point. TY for sharing!

9. Hopping Along October 20, 2011 at 12:13 am #

I saw this yesterday and immediately made a bee line for HL to see if they had any of the nesting houses. I got all 3 and some other Christmasy crafty decor. Your houses are so beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration!!

10. omg i am speechless. all of my favorite things. GLITTER, GLITTER, and more glitter!!! awesome

11. The Craft-Arty Kid November 12, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Beautiful! So festive and i love love love all the glitter!
    x

12. Sylvia/LittleTreasures November 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm #

These are so beautiful. You did a great job. Gave me some incentive and inspiration. Mine have been setting here a long time too. Love the glitter Thanks for shaing

13. Lauren November 17, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

This is exactly what I want for my front foyer table. Something that’s “not my mom’s” christmas village. Pinned this for inspiration! Wish I had a hobby lobby here, but didn’t know you can order online!

14. Mel M. M. McCarthy November 20, 2011 at 3:33 am #

Such gorgeous glitter houses! Thanks for sharing all the details too.

15. Ashley February 7, 2012 at 4:39 am #

Your gift ideas are absolutely marvelous. Remind me to get one this coming season.

house for sale

16. Victoryperfect March 21, 2012 at 4:57 am #

Heya¡­my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would completely pop in and drop a friendly note. . It is great stuff indeed. I also wanted to ask..is there a way to subscribe to your site via email.

Beautiful villas