November 30, 2011
Advent Cookie Tree
You might have noticed that I’ve been sticking to a tree theme so far this week, and today’s project continues in that vein. For the last few years I have made an Advent cookie tree for my kiddos to enjoy. The concept is simple: bake delicious cookies, and then number them from one to 25 and hang them from the branches of a mini tabletop tree. Each day, one of the children gets to take a cookie down from the tree to nibble on after supper. It really is a lot of fun!
I shared in-depth in this post from last year about the particular sugar cookie and icing recipes I use for my tree each year. The only modification I make to this icing recipe from Our Best Bites is to substitute water for the milk, as I don’t really want any dairy hanging out unrefrigerated for 25 days.
After each cookie is decorated and numbered, I place them in Wilton treat bags, and then I twist the top as tightly as possible before securing with wired garland (the kind found in the mini tree section at craft stores). I have found this method keeps the cookies as fresh as possible over the course of the month.The wired garland also simplifies the process of securing the cookies to the tree, as you can just twist the garland around the branches.
This really is one of my favorite yearly traditions! I love the sparkle of the little tree sitting on my breakfast bar.
Love this post? Let's keep in touch!
- HP Pavilion x360 and HP ENVY 5530 Giveaway!! #HPFamilyTime June 23, 2014
- How to Take Great Portraits of Your Kids + $50 Cut It Out Frames Giveaway! July 2, 2014
- DIY Fabric Phone Charging Station June 4, 2014
- 20 Fun, Free Road Trip Printables #HPFamilyTime June 7, 2014
- Glow-in-the-Dark Patriotic Star Necklaces #TheBigBling June 30, 2014
- How to Make Barefoot Sandals (Kids’ Craft Idea) July 21, 2014
- DIY Ladder Photo Display #3MDIY July 17, 2014
- Burlap and Cork Monogram Craft #MichaelsMakers July 15, 2014
- An Invitation to Sew with Me + 5 Quick & Easy Skirt Tutorials #SkirtingtheIssue July 10, 2014
- Decoden Sea Shell Ornaments July 9, 2014
- Michelle: I am so sorry I missed this...will you all be doin...
- Crystal: What a great idea!! I love how easy it is to chang...
- Crystal: I wish I knew how to sew because I would come up t...
- Natasha J: my husband just said today he wanted to disply fam...
- Heather Haugen: I always have a ton of pictures of my kids I want ...