February 13, 2012

Hallway Command Center

Back in January, I posted about my 12 DIY Goals for 2012, with one project assigned to each month of the year. I am happy to say I am keeping up with my goals so far, and my February project, a board and batten hallway, is officially in the books! My mom came in for a visit last week, and with her assistance, I was able to turn the hallway leading in from our garage (a space that has, until now, been completely wasted) from this…
…into this!

I can’t even begin to tell you how in love I am with this transformation!

Before I go on, a little disclaimer: You’ll have to bear with the photos of this space. Anyone who has ever tried to photograph a tight hallway with little to no natural light can attest that it isn’t an easy task!
Reality check: My family – all six of us – occupies a house that is only just over 1800 square feet, with no utility room to speak of. This hallway update is my way of making the most of the space at my disposal by creating a faux mudroom of sorts. This will be the place where we first deposit all of our bags, coats, keys and such when we first walk in the door, instead of dropping them like we have until now square in front of our front door. I am not going to miss that mess!
I think I might be the very last DIYer in the blogosphere to give faux board and batten a whirl. After accomplishing this project, I am wondering why it took me so long to hop on the bandwagon! It was so, so easy to do, and the way it transformed the feel of this space is absolutely incredible. I’ll be sharing some tips and tricks I learned from my board and batten experience along with lots of helpful resources later this week, so stay tuned!
The six hooks hung in the space are perfect for hanging coats, backpacks and purses.

A chalkboard made with custom-mixed chalk paint is just right for jotting down appointments, shopping lists and other can’t-forget bits of information.
A framed magnetic board will prevent me from losing important papers my kids bring home from school. Calendars, lunch menus and such now all have their very own home, and I can finally reclaim my refrigerator from all the clutter! (Be sure to stop by later this week, when I’ll share the full details for how I put both of the boards together.)
A letter organizer purchased at half off from Hobby Lobby is the perfect place to stash unopened mail and bills than need to be paid, as well as both sets of our keys. No more frantic searches for my keys as we’re walking out the door to ballet, soccer or doctor’s appointments!
I just love that everything has its own place, and that I now have a system in place to keep my life more organized!
Throughout the week, I’ll be sharing the specifics for how this space came together. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how truly easy this project was to complete!
If you liked this post, I would absolutely love for you to share it on Pinterest! Do so easily by clicking on the button below.

Pin It
Don’t forget to also check out the DIY Custom Chalkboard and Magnetic Board tutorials and the detailed Board and Batten How-To for this space!

Skip to My Lou
Home Stories A to Z
Tidy Mom

Latest posts by Amy @ Positively Splendid (see all)

36 Responses to Hallway Command Center

1. Jill February 13, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

OMG! This is AH-MAZ-ING! I love how you made this such a homey space! We don’t have a utility room either and our garage door opens off our entryway. Therefore EVERYTHING ends up by the front door. Thanks for the inspiration to do something with that space!!

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

2. Allison Ack February 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

This looks awesome! I think my favorite part is the fun color of the chalkboard!

3. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} February 13, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

What an absolutely FABULOUS makeover of that space, Amy!! It looks like something out of a magazine. Wonderful job!

4. A Atwood February 13, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

This is just amazing! I will be watching for every detail…..

5. Kelli @ RTSM February 13, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

Amy that looks awesome! I love the chalkboard! We have something similar in our back hall, but it is a narrow bench with storage for the kiddos shoe underneath too:) When the kids put their things in the correct place it sure does make the house less cluttered!

6. Amanda @ Serenity Now February 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

Two thumbs up! I love the chalkboard…this is a great mix of fun and function. It was also very encouraging to me that you mentioned living in a small house. I had no idea! I live in a small 1970s Colonial, and I sometimes feel like everyone that I know (in “real life” and blogland) lives in a giant, beautiful spacious house. Thanks for the reminder today that you don’t have to have a big house to have a stylish home. :)

7. Michelle February 13, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

Nice work Amy (& Mom)! You have included all the keys to a very functional dropping ground. Once my kids are school aged, I know I need to make this happen. Great post!

8. {northern cottage} February 13, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

ohhhh i’m TOTALLY in love with these hooks….what a great ‘new’ space!! xo

9. Jessica @ Sunny Tuesday February 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

I LOVE your faux mudroom! I have a front entryway that’s too narrow for any type of furniture and this would be SO perfect! I pinned it! :)

10. Andrea @ Decorating Cents February 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

I love this. Definitely pinning so I can do this in the future.

11. Shelly @A Creative Space February 13, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

{Sigh……} As some would say, “I totally {puffy heart} LOVE this! I think that I would just sit on the floor and stare at it all day. So lucky to have a nice long, tall, wall to create with! Excuse me, I have to sigh again….

12. nest of posies February 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

looks fabulous! wow. i need a bigger space for one as well!

love the hooks. big but classic!

13. Amy {All In A Day} February 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

Oh Amy it looks amazing!!! I just love this transformation!! I have total hallway envy now! We don’t have an entryway of any kind in our home so I’m living vicariously through you! ;-) I can’t wait to read how this all came together for you! xoxo

14. sara @ applestone drive February 13, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

This is such a beautiful layout and just the inspiration I need to finish my own organization station. I started it here with a trash to treasure cabinet door: http://www.applestonedrive.blogspot.com/2012/01/trash-to-treasure-kitchen-cabinet-door.html

Great job!

15. Amanda Jones February 15, 2012 at 2:46 am #

I love this transformation Amy! You did such an amazing job!

16. Vicky February 16, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

I have just pinned this. What a transformation! I really love the board and batten and the red chalkboard. It just pops. I am a new follower visiting from Look What I Made. Vicky from Mess For Less

17. Randi~Dukes and Duchesses February 17, 2012 at 2:39 am #

What a great spot … it looks fantastic and I love that it has such purpose as well!

18. Netties Expressions February 17, 2012 at 6:32 am #

This is such a wonderful idea and you did a beautiful job of it! I LOVE LOVE the board and batten and you are NOT the last one to try it! :) I still have yet to tackle this for myself! I’m dropping by from the Look What I Made Linky Party! Thanks for sharing! :)

19. Lindsi B February 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

GORGEOUS!!!! Oh I love this! It would be great if you would share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/fun-stuff-fridays-11.html

20. Sugarr2518 February 18, 2012 at 1:45 am #

Love how organized and neat it looks! I love this set up. I’m sure it’s everything you need and even a little more:)

21. Christy @ Sane Simplicity February 19, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

What a great use of space!! I’ve been looking for something like this to go in the tight space in our mudroom/laundry room between our garage and kitchen! This is brilliant!

22. Jennifer Curts February 23, 2012 at 3:15 am #

It’s great! I would love a entry way just like this. Our house doesn’t have a lot of storage space either. But this would be a great idea.

23. Lolly Jane February 24, 2012 at 6:11 am #

Amy we love this!! The chalkboard, the hooks, that B! So cute- it’s all so perfectly organized :) Nice job, sista!

xoxo

PS: Featuring ya tomorrow!

24. Gwen @ The Bold Abode March 6, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

It’s amazing!

Sooo….is this by your front door?

25. Sharon May 21, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Truly beautiful. I love beautiful organization. Nothing better. I have not tackled board and batten yet. I plan to do it in my sons bathroom. I will check out your tips.

26. Lily July 24, 2012 at 2:58 am #

This looks awesome! I will be watching for every detail…..

27. olgasouslova June 20, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

Amazing! I love the simplicity and inovation! Super cute! Does your husband help you?

• Amy @ Positively Splendid June 21, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

This project was one I completed on my own. Thanks so much!

1. Lil Luna Link Party 65 - January 10, 2013

[...] Baptism Subway Art from Oopsey Daisy – Hallway Command Center from Positively Splendid  - 2 Ingredient Cake from Lady with the Red [...]

2. Positively Splendid's Top 12 Posts of 2012 | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 1, 2013

[...] 4. Hallway Command Center [...]

3. Raised Garden Update | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 5, 2013

[...] accounts, I am proud to say I am doing pretty well so far keeping up!In February, I shared about my Board and Batten Hallway Command Center (March’s goal), and last week, I gave y’all a tour of my summer front porch, including [...]

4. Magnetic Refrigerator Art Frames | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 6, 2013

[...] yourself bitten by the organizing bug? Now that things are cruising along beautifully with my new hallway “mudroom” command center, I am finding myself wanting to reclaim more and more of our home from the clutter.With the magnetic [...]

5. 4 Practical Tips for Staying Organized | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 6, 2013

[...] it isn’t practical, it doesn’t do anyone any good! I shared last week about the hallway command center I built to help keep all of our everyday items like coats, important papers, and appointment [...]

6. Framed Custom Chalkboard and Magnetic Board | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - April 21, 2013

[...] I revealed my new “faux mudroom” hallway command center, my solution to our home’s lack of a mudroom or utility room. We’ve only been using the [...]

7. Top Ten Family Command Centers and Link Party | Home Improvements Raleigh NC - July 29, 2013

[...] It feels like summer is in full swing… which means it must be just about time to settle back into the school routine… C’est la vie, right? Be prepared for back to school with a family command center like these. (feature image via Positively Splendid) [...]

8. How to Build a Raised-Bed Garden | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 9, 2014

[…] for each month of the year. So far, things are going great! I shared earlier this month the Hallway Command Center I created to fulfill my February goal (a board and batten hallway), and this weekend, the fam and I […]