February 6, 2012

Quilted & Piped Letter Tutorial

I recently shared my Valentine Mantel display, which includes a sweet little set of X and O letters as one of the decorative elements. I love taking something you can purchase ready-made and add a handmade stamp to it to give it my personal touch. These Quilted & Piped Letters are a project that accomplishes just that by dressing up a plain-Jane duo of papier mache letters from Joann.
The method for creating these letters combines the same basic technique I used for my Quilted Chevron Monogram with a new technique for framing everything with a bright ribbon of piping. And the best part? This project is entirely no-sew! Ready to see how it’s done? Let’s get started!
For this project, you will need…
Plain papier mache letter(s)
Acrylic paint and foam brush
Fabric scraps
Disappearing ink marker
Shears
Pinking shears (optional)
Polyester fiberfill
 Package of pre-made piping
Hot glue
To begin, paint the back side and outer edges of your letter with acrylic paint using your foam brush. Allow to dry completely.
Place your letter face down onto the wrong side of your fabric scrap and trace around it using your disappearing ink marker. Cut out your letter shape using either standard or pinking shears.

Run a thin line of hot glue along just the top edges of your letter, as shown.

Adhere your trimmed fabric piece to your letter, making sure all edges are lined up as you work. Make sure to adhere glue only to the edges of your letter in a way to create a pocket with your fabric that you will fill with fiberfill to give your project dimension.

Tuck some fiberfill up into the pocket you just created, working with very small amounts of fiberfill at a time to avoid overstuffing and thus causing your fabric to separate from your letter. (If necessary, use a wooden chopstick or other device to poke the fiberfill where it needs to go.) Repeat this step, working in 2-3 sections, until your entire letter is covered and stuffed.

Using your shears, carefully trim away the seam allowance portion of your piping, trimming as closely as possible to the stitching without accidentally cutting through the threads.

Use a very thin thread of hot glue to adhere the trimmed piping to the outer perimeter of your letter.

All finished!

These letters would make a perfect addition to any holiday decor, but I see them also being perfect in a child’s room, or even in a kitchen!

Have a great week, everyone!

Skip to My Lou
Serenity Now
Tatertots and Jello
Lil Luna
Creations by Kara
Oopsey Daisy
Every Creative Endeavor
Lolly Jane

Latest posts by Amy @ Positively Splendid (see all)

, ,

34 Responses to Quilted & Piped Letter Tutorial

1. Katie February 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

Love these letters Amy!

2. cheapcraftymama February 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

SO cute! I would love for you to link up to my Valentine Party @ http://www.cheapcraftymama.com!

3. Debbie Elder February 6, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

I love these! I never would have thought to put the batting in there. Super cute!

4. Sue February 6, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

So darling and sweet! Love the “no sew” aspect:) Time to Pin!

5. Ruby Jean February 6, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

Oh isn’t that just NIFTY… I LOVE it.. :)

6. Amanda @ Serenity Now February 6, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

How smart to use the batting!! Those are adorable, Amy…and I love the piping!

7. Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com February 6, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

Love this!! We are hosting our first Kitchen Fun and Crafty link party this Friday (the 10th) and would love for you to share this! Feel free to stop by and grab a party button! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/

8. Kristen Duke Photography February 6, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

those are avery very cute!

9. Heather February 6, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

I love these and am definitely going to incorporate them into my home somehow! Thanks for the tutorial.

10. Brian, Michelle, Teagan and Isla February 7, 2012 at 5:20 am #

What an awesome tutorial! I so want to try this for my baby’s owl themed room! Would love it if you’d link this on my new Tuesday linky party.

Thanks, Michelle

11. Michelle February 7, 2012 at 8:06 am #

These are just lovely and such a clever and unique idea. I know my daughter would just love a big “T”.

12. Amy Clark February 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

Those letters are great! That is totally my kind of sewing.

13. Elaine Nowak February 7, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

These are so cute! I think they would be perfect in a kid’s room.

14. Christine February 8, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

I’m in LOVE!!!!!!! So gorgeous!!!

Would you PLEASE link this up on my blog??

15. swirlygirldreamsndecor February 8, 2012 at 10:14 pm #

I love the fabric not being matchy matchy, but very complimentary. This is something I need to work on.
    Also the little birdies are darling!

16. Kristen Hamlin February 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

OK, so I saw these and thought, no way . . . I wish I could sew those. But no sew? LOVE! Definitely going to try these.

17. Allie February 10, 2012 at 3:30 am #

Amy, these are so great. So smart! Easy. Thanks for sharing. Pinned! :)

18. Kerry Rossow February 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

“No sew” – more beautiful words were never written!
    These are fantastic!
    Kerry at HouseTalkN

19. Lindsi B February 10, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

I love this! So cute! I saw this on Skip to My Lou I would love it if you would share this with our readers too for Fun Stuff Fridays! http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/14-days-of-valentines-fun-stuff-fridays_10.html

20. Ashley @ The Hillside Home February 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

adorable idea!!! and so doable! :)

21. Laurel @ Ducks in a Row February 10, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

Oh my heavens – I love these so much! The colors are fun and piping just finishes it off! I can see these in a kids room – actually in many many rooms! Thanks!

22. Life In The Thrifty Lane February 10, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

Such a cute idea!I love how they turned out, thanks for sharing the tutorial. Visiting from Serenity Now!

23. Jessie February 10, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

Gotta love a no sew project! Thanks for the tutorial. I followed you on Twitter.

Jessie Gunderson, Muddy Mama

24. Melissa February 11, 2012 at 2:32 am #

Super duper cute! The piping detail really makes it look pro! Awesome!!!

25. Abbie February 11, 2012 at 4:00 am #

I LOVE these! Like LOVE, Amy!

And I would LOVE it if you’d link this up at Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL!

Hope to see you soon!

P.S. I’m a new follower. : )

~Abbie

26. Shannon MadiganMade February 11, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

Amy – this is adorable and just plain genius!! Love! ;)

27. Laura@Corner House February 12, 2012 at 5:42 am #

So CUTE! I featured it on my blog last night.

28. Kim February 12, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

These are so cool!

29. Karyn February 12, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

You had me at NO SEW!!! They’re adorable and I want some.

30. Shari @For the Little Doll In Your Life February 18, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

When I saw these on your Valentines mantel I was hoping you would share how you made them. I never would have guessed that they were no sew!

31. kirstin @ kojo January 25, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Amy, I LOVE these. I think you’re right- they’d be perfect in a kid’s room. Pinning!

1. Valentine Crafts and Food Ideas! | I Heart Nap Time - How to Crafts, Tutorials, DIY, Homemaker - January 24, 2013

[...] Quilted and Piped Letters from Positively Splendid [...]

2. DIY Valentine's Day Mantel Decor | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 1, 2013

[...] crafted this No-Sew Quilted and Piped X & O set for last year’s Valentine mantel, and they look terrific displayed at center stage in this [...]

3. 25 Things to Do with Fabric Scraps - March 8, 2013