March 5, 2012

Buttermilk Pound Cake Recipe

There are a few go-to recipes every cook should have in his or her arsenal. Meatloaf, biscuits, and brownies are a few that immediately come to mind. Today’s recipe is another I would certainly include in that list: Pound Cake.

This pound cake recipe is the one I ate throughout my childhood and the same one I always make for my own family today. When it comes to strawberry shortcake in our family, honestly nothing else will do! Truly, there really is no better vehicle for showcasing the spring berries that are popping up now in grocery stores than a slice of this cake and a healthy dollop of freshly whipped cream.

The magic ingredient here? Buttermilk! It lends an airiness to the crumb of this cake that will have you clamoring for just one. more. bite.

Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Pound Cake

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream butter and shortening together with an electric mixer; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, mixing just until blended after each addition. Stir in flavorings. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan or Bundt pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan 10-15 minutes; remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack.

***

Did you enjoy this post? I would love for you to add it to Pinterest! Do so easily by clicking on the link below.

Pin It

Grab a pint of berries and bake a cake to enjoy with your family this week!

P.S. I have had numerous readers ask about the plate pictured in the photo here, and it is actually a decorative plate (the same one pictured in my Valentine mantel, actually!) that we received as a wedding gift eons ago. It was manufactured by a company called Midwest of Cannon Falls.

, ,

9 Responses to Buttermilk Pound Cake Recipe

1. TheeFireWife March 5, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

This looks delicous! I used Brown Sugar Pound Cake for my strawberry shortcake, and it was pretty phenomenal, but I’m going to have to try this!

2. CLM-cindylu2u March 5, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Thank you, I am definitely trying this one!!

3. Kara March 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

I love baked goods with buttermilk. I’ll have to give this a try!

4. Heidi @ Decor & More March 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

Ooo, we fancy ourselves pound cake conoisseurs (ha ha) so I’ll have to try this one out! Buttermilk makes everything better, I think. :)
    xo Heidi

5. katiewithoutrestrictions March 6, 2012 at 5:02 am #

This looks delicious!

6. Trailmixy March 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

I have buttermilk at home looking for a use right now. Yum!

In case you are a perfectionist like me, I wanted to let you know you have a typo: …beginning and ending with flour mixture, MIINGX just until blended after each addition…

7. Kelli @ RTSM March 6, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

Yum! I love making pound cake…but I’ve never tried it with buttermilk before. Your recipe sounds amazing:)

8. Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon March 7, 2012 at 11:25 pm #

oh,,,love this! I love buttermilk baked goods! thank you for sharing this yummy recipe! Bonnie ;)

9. SJ March 21, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

I wanted to make this cake for a study group last night because it looked so yummy and I had some extra strawberries on hand to go with it. When I was ready to bake, I realized I was out of both vanilla and almond extract, which I had assumed I had in the pantry. Since it was naptime, I couldn’t just run to the store so I had to improvise. The closest substitution we had was spiced rum :) Then to make matters even worse, I was completely distracted by my preschooler trying to help and my baby waking from nap and put 2 TABLEspoons of rum in instead of 2 TEAspoons! But it turned out great anyway! Although the rum worked out even the large amount, it definitely added a little more flavor so I used a sugar glaze instead of strawberries and whipped cream like I was planning. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!