March 15, 2012

Framed Dimensional Easter Cross Tutorial

This week, I’ve been sharing the details of the Easter vignette I put together in my entry. No Easter decor is complete without a reminder of the joy and hope of Easter – the cross! - and today, I’m sharing how I made the framed dimensional cross for the display. This is such a quick and easy project, and one that can easily be completed in a half hour or less. Let me show you how!

For this project, you will need…
  • Cross template (scroll down for the free download)
  • Foam core board
  • Pencil
  • Craft knife
  • Fabric scraps
  • Disappearing ink marker
  • Shears
  • Hot glue
  • Patterned paper
  • Paper trimmer
  • A 5×7-inch frame
  • Optional: sticker embellishments

To begin, trace the cross templates onto your foam core board with your pencil, and carefully cut each one out using your craft knife.

Place each of your foam cross pieces onto the back side of your fabric, and trace approximately 3/4 inch around the perimeter of each one using your disappearing ink marker, as shown. Cut each of your fabric pieces out.
Using your shears, make a snip at each of the four inner corners of your cross.

Working at one point of your cross at a time, fold one of the lower edges over and adhere it to the back of your foam board cross with hot glue.

Fold over and adhere the other lower edge.

Now, fold and adhere the side edges in the same manner.
When you are finished, the back of your cross will look like so: a nice, tidy little package! Repeat with each of the remaining three corners of your cross so that all edges are adhered in the same fashion. Repeat these steps to cover your remaining foam board cross shape. When both crosses are covered, use hot glue to adhere the smaller cross on top of the larger one.

Using your paper trimmer, cut a 5×7-inch piece from your patterned paper. Remove the glass from your frame, and pop the trimmed paper piece inside.

Use hot glue to affix your stacked crosses to the center of your framed paper. Embellish with additional stickers, if desired.
All finished!
This same technique would be a fun way to make decor items for any number of holidays!
To download the cross templates for this project, simply click on the arrow at the bottom right-hand corner of the box below. Note: If you are reading in a reader or via email, you’ll have to click over for the download.

If you enjoyed this post, I’d love for you to share it on Pinterest! Do so easily by clicking the button below.

Pin It

Thanks so much for stopping in!

Tatertots and Jello
Flamingo Toes

Latest posts by Amy @ Positively Splendid (see all)

14 Responses to Framed Dimensional Easter Cross Tutorial

1. Amy March 15, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

Oh Amy! I love this! It doesn’t have to be just for Easter, either! Definitely want to make this for our family room. Thanks for sharing this project!.

2. Daneilia @ Anchors Away March 15, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

The cross is cute! I love it.

3. Christy March 15, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

This is fabulous! Can’t wait to make one for myself. Thanks so much.

4. Randee March 16, 2012 at 10:27 pm #

Beautiful!!! My absolute favorite cross shape/style. Thank you so much for the download!!!
    Chelle kweenbee_612@yahoo.com

5. Ami w/AliLilly March 17, 2012 at 12:07 am #

WOW! It looks absolutely amazing! I LOVE IT! Thanks so much for the tutorial and the templates! I’m going to HAVE to try this. :)

6. Kei March 17, 2012 at 12:29 am #

That looks so lovely! Thanks for the tutorial!

7. Cheryl @ Sew Can Do March 17, 2012 at 2:13 am #

Really lovely & the colors you used make it look great! Would love for you to link this to my next Craftastic Monday party:)

8. Amy March 17, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

Amy, that is SO so beautiful! What a wonderful piece of Easter decor. I love how you covered the cross with fabric…the colors are lovely and the finished product is too! I’d be so thrilled if you’d share it here if you get a minute:

9. Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper March 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

This is really outstanding! Absolutely great. I hope you will link up to my Hippity Hop Easter Project Hop.

10. Sara March 20, 2012 at 2:16 am #

LOVE this!! SO beautiful!! Hope you can link this up at my turquoise lovin’ party!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2012/03/turquoise-lovin-30.html

11. Brian, Michelle, Teagan and Isla March 20, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

I LOVE this and may use the fabric crosses on a wreath! Brilliant idea! If you have a moment would you share it on my linky party Destination: Inspiration at Teagan’s Travels? Great tutorial and I know my peeps would love it!

Michelle

12. Vixen March 21, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

I just love your whole mantle! This cross is beautiful! I shared this on my blog here: http://vixenmade.blogspot.ca/2012/03/15-spring-decor-ideas.html

13. Sharon March 27, 2013 at 4:09 am #

Beautiful thank you for the tutorial, I was looking for an idea for a First Holy Communion gift for my niece. This is fantastic :)

• Amy @ Positively Splendid March 27, 2013 at 6:24 am #

Wonderful, Sharon! I am so glad this will help you commemorate such a special occasion.