March 6, 2012

Magnetic Refrigerator Art Frames

Do you ever find yourself bitten by the organizing bug? Now that things are cruising along beautifully with my new hallway “mudroom” command center, I am finding myself wanting to reclaim more and more of our home from the clutter.

With the magnetic board I created for my hallway project, I no longer have to count on my refrigerator to house the forms and notes that come home from school. So, the fridge can now be 100% devoted to showcasing the handiwork of my little Picassos. Let’s face it, though: even the most beloved works of art have a way of making a refrigerator looks a bit, ahem, unsightly.

Case in point:

That’s a before picture of my refrigerator, taken yesterday afternoon.

And this is it today!

What a difference a day and a DIY project can make!

Instead of hanging each child’s art with the typical magnets, I swapped those out for some brightly colored magnetic frames. Now I can choose one special piece from each of them to display at a time, tidily tucking away the other items in my box of keepsakes.

This really is the simplest of projects! Let me show you how I did it.

For each frame, you will need…
Lightweight document-sized* frame (I found mine at Walmart for $3)
Spray primer and paint
2 heavy-duty magnets
Heavy-duty adhesive (I used E6000)

*Be sure to look for a document-sized frame and not an 8×10, as the document frame will accommodate a standard 8.5×11″ sheet of paper without trimming.

To begin, remove the glass from your frame, and dispose of it carefully or set it aside for later use. Now, spray your frame with a coat of primer and allow it to dry before evenly applying 2-3 coats of spray paint to your frame. Allow your frame to dry completely.

Use your adhesive to adhere the magnets to the middle of each of the short edges on on the back of your frame. Allow your glue to dry completely (overnight is best).

Important: Make sure to leave the back portion of your frame (the little “door” that opens and closes to hold your document in place) intact, as this will prevent the artwork from slipping out of the frame once it is mounted on the refrigerator.

Now, slip your child’s latest handiwork into the frame and mount it on the fridge to display proudly!

I love how polished this looks now! And the way the magnets are mounted will make it possible to display landscape-oriented pieces of work in these frames, too.

This project is 100% leprechaun approved. ;)

It feels so good to be able to see the front of my refrigerator again! Of course, now that I can actually see the stainless steel, I’ll have to be more diligent about keeping those pint-sized fingerprints at bay. Nuts. ;)

Did you enjoy this post? I would love for you to add it to Pinterest! Do so easily by clicking on the link below.

Pin It

Looking for more creative ideas for displaying your children’s artwork? Be sure to check out my Cable Art Display tutorial!

Thanks for stopping in!

Oopsey Daisy
Creations by Kara
Every Creative Endeavor
Lil Luna
Lolly Jane
Tatertots and Jello
Serenity Now

, ,

37 Responses to Magnetic Refrigerator Art Frames

1. {northern cottage} March 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

what a wonderful idea! to still have STUFF on the fridge & yet have it seem organized still – great plan! xo

2. Crystal March 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Oh my goodness, I totally love this!!! Thanks for sharing!

3. Jessica Kielman March 6, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

You always amaze me! I love this project, because I hate the clutter and things just hanging randomly on the fridge! Can’t wait to make my own!

Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

4. Susan Westberg March 6, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

Where did you get the heavy duty magnets like that?

5. Amy @ Positively Splendid March 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm #

@Susan, I purchased my magnets at Lowe’s, in the aisle with the other fasteners (screws, nails, etc.). Thanks for stopping in!

6. Jess March 6, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

What a fantastic idea!!! Looks awesome! And was more appealing to look at instead of just a ton of paper stuck all over it with no rhyme or reason {like ours haha}
    x0 Jess
    {www.CraftyNonsenseNoted.com}

7. Delle March 6, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

Fantastic idea – I’ll be copying really soon!!! And I pinned you!

8. Angie@Echoes of Laughter March 6, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

I love it Amy! It looks terrific! Great project! Angie xo

9. Kristi March 6, 2012 at 9:45 pm #

I love this. It looks so nice and neat. I should try it so that I am forced to pare down what I all keep on my fridge.

10. Emmy March 7, 2012 at 12:40 am #

So so cute!! Totally love this! Great idea

11. Ashley W. March 7, 2012 at 12:49 am #

I’ve made magnet frames using sheets of magnet paper that I mod podged scrapbook paper to, but this takes it to a whole new level. I love it!

12. Alison @ Oopsey Daisy March 7, 2012 at 5:11 am #

This is SUCH a smart idea, Amy! XO

13. Lolly Jane March 7, 2012 at 5:39 am #

So cute! What a difference!

14. nest of posies March 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

you are so smart!

everything is so streamlined & beautiful.

clever clever girl!

xo
    kellie

15. Jill ~ Jillify It March 7, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Oh my stinkin’ goodness!!! I LOVE it… Frames for the fridge… GENIUS! I would love for you to link up at my party going on now at Jillify It!

Jill

16. Jennifer @ The Brilliant Crafty Type March 7, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

Love this idea. The fridge is always a little chaotic looking {inside and out!}.

17. ginger @ literally inspired March 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

This is fantastic Amy!! I have pinned and shared. I may even tackle this project over the weekend!

18. Mandy March 8, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

Great idea Amy! What a difference!

19. Kellie March 8, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

Terrific Idea~ :)

20. Sally from Frills and Fun March 10, 2012 at 2:02 am #

Love, love, llloooovvvvvve…!!!
    What a smart idea :)

21. Gwen @ The Bold Abode March 10, 2012 at 2:15 am #

Beautiful. Amen.

22. Tricia March 10, 2012 at 3:37 am #

These are lovely! Makes each piece of artwork look like a masterpiece!

makingitfeellikehome.blogspot.com

23. Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft March 10, 2012 at 4:19 am #

I love this idea! I would love for you to link up to Do Something Crafty Friday: http://seevanessacraft.com/2012/03/do-something-crafty-30/

24. Annette March 21, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

Will this stick to a stainless steel fridge? I can never get any magnets to stay put!

25. Annette March 21, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

26. Annette March 21, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

27. Helen Graham September 14, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

Hi Amy, thank you so much for this post! I just wanted to let you know that I’ve featured this in my top 10 list of projects with frames. Hope you can stop by ;-)

28. Tara December 3, 2012 at 11:09 am #

Brilliant!! I wish I could do this. We just got a new Fridge and Freezer and we can’t use magnets. :( But you inspired me to make an art wall! Thank you. I will be pinning and sharing this fun idea!

Tara
    TrendyTreehouse
    thetrendytreehouse.blogspot.com

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 3, 2012 at 11:17 am #

Thanks so much, Tara!

29. Darcie January 8, 2014 at 4:04 pm #

I saw your post a long time ago, and remembered it. I tried this at home, but I guess my magnets weren’t powerful enough or my frames were too heavy, so I’m going to have to change it up a bit. Just googled to find you again, because that vision of your organized fridge was still stuck in my head. Can’t wait to make mine work!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid February 6, 2014 at 1:31 pm #

Hi, Darcie! The only magnets I could find that were strong enough were the very heavy-duty bar magnets at Lowe’s. I hope this helps!

1. Positively Splendid's Top 12 Posts of 2012 | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 1, 2013

[...] 5. Magnetic Refrigerator Art Frames [...]

2. 12 (More) Why Didn’t I Think of That? Tips | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 6, 2013

[...] Martha Stewart Eureka! After prettying up the outside of the fridge this week with my magnetic frames, I think I’ll tackle the inside with this little trick this weekend. [...]

3. Meal Planning {Printables} - April 26, 2013

[...] to be printed, cropped and inserted into a frame.  You could even magnetize your frame and display it on your fridge if you are feeling [...]

4. DIY Fridge Frames {tutorial} | Mine For The Making - May 12, 2013

[...] inspired by Positively Splendid and my friend [...]

5. Color Scavenger Hunt: A Photo Project Your Kids Will Love » Family Blog Tips - May 23, 2013

[...] Print the collage and display it on your refrigerator. I love this refrigerator frame idea from Positively Splendid! [...]

6. Homework Command Center Organization | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - January 13, 2014

[…] Refrigerator Art Frames […]