April 11, 2012

Clipboard Photo Display Tutorial

Isn’t it incredible how when the calendar turns to April, it seems there are not just one or two, but dozens of different events and holidays that necessitate gifts? With Mothers’ Day, Fathers’ Day, end of school celebrations, graduations and weddings (plus a few baby showers thrown in for good measure!), the spring is certainly brimming with opportunities to share handmade gifts. The idea I’m sharing today – a Clipboard Photo Display – is a perfect option to suit just about anyone on your list, and the best part is, these can easily be made in just a couple of hours!

For this project, you will need…
  • A memo-sized clipboard (6×9″)
  • Spray primer and paint
  • Patterned scrapbook paper
  • Paper trimmer
  • Corner rounder (optional)
  • Mod Podge
  • Foam brush
  • Photo easel back (I used the one I had leftover from my DIY Stacked Photo Frames, but you could purchase a cheap frame from the dollar store and use the easel back from that if you don’t have a spare frame around the house.)
  • Heavy-duty adhesive (I like E6000)
  • Ribbon
  • Scissors
To begin, prime your clipboard and allow it to dry before applying a couple of light coats of your spray paint. (Important: don’t skip the priming step, as I discovered the hard way that the paint won’t coat evenly without it.) Allow your clipboard to dry completely.
Use your paper trimmer to trim a piece of patterned paper that is 5.5×7.” Round all four corners of this piece with your corner-rounding tool.

Apply an even coat of Mod Podge to the back of your paper piece with your foam brush, making sure it is entirely covered. Then, adhere the paper to the front of your clipboard, aligning the top edge just below the metal clip part of your board. Make sure to smooth out any bubbles under the surface of the paper! Now, apply 2-3 light coats of Mod Podge over the entire clipboard, coating the paper thoroughly, allowing each coat to dry before adding the subsequent coat. Note: Don’t apply Mod Podge to the metal clip portion of the board; carefully work around it as you go.

When your board is completely dry, use your heavy-duty adhesive to adhere the easel back to the back of your clipboard. Allow the adhesive to dry completely.

If desired, embellish the clip portion of your board with a loop of ribbon tied in a bow. (This did a great job of covering up the Staples logo on mine.)

All finished!
Here she is on her own…

…but I like her even better showcasing a sweet photo! You could also use this board as a recipe holder, a memo board, or anything else under the sun. This is a really versatile project!
By changing up the color scheme and patterned paper (and by forgoing the bow embellishment), this project could easily be tailored to suit the guys in your life, too.

Thanks for stopping in!

Tatertots and Jello

16 Responses to Clipboard Photo Display Tutorial

1. Paula April 11, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

Very cute! This project would make a great gift for just about anyone. I have a student teacher now and a clipboard with a class picture might make a great parting gift for him.

2. ChaoticallyCreative April 11, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

Amy, this is so cute and I love the color pallet you are using. I saw a display in Target of gift bags with this same color scheme and snapped a picture. Glad to see it being used. I love it!

3. Michelle {Daydream Believers} April 11, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

What a great idea! I love a nice, easy, adorable craft! The colors you used are great too! :) Thanks for sharing!
    Happy Day!
    Michelle

4. sip-n-wear April 11, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

What a precipus project!

5. Brooke April 11, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

Super cute!!! And so is the little doll in the picture!

6. Lindsay April 11, 2012 at 11:55 pm #

I absolutely adore this idea. It’s so simple, yet genius at the same time. And how cute is that darling little girl in the picture! Love it all & pinned it as well!

7. Maria @ All Things Luxurious April 12, 2012 at 1:47 am #

Such an adorable project!

8. Stacy @ She's {kinda} Crafty April 12, 2012 at 2:21 am #

must go to staples tomorrow and buy all the mini clipboard they have! Love this!!

9. Jennifer Curtis April 12, 2012 at 11:21 am #

It’s adorable, and I love the ribbon you added.

10. Amanda @ Serenity Now April 12, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

Too much cuteness!! I’m all about bows, so I love it. :) I agree–it would work in any home decor, or even office or kitchen. Too sweet. :)

11. Simply AJ April 12, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Fantastic idea! I’ve seen several different clipboard ideas before but using the photo easel back is the best idea yet!! Thanks so much for sharing this great project. AJ@queenofmynest

12. SayNotSweetAnne April 14, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

I’m always looking for cute ways to put up funny phrases/sayings in my office. This is a great addition! I featured it on todays Fave 5 – hope you get a chance to take a look! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/fave-5/

13. Anna April 15, 2012 at 2:02 am #

Love this idea. It would be perfect in the kitchen. Where did you get that great ribbon?

14. safdar ali May 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

what a cute idea. this is looking so great. thanks for sharing.

Send gifts to Pakistan from Australia
    Send gifts to Pakistan from Australia
    Send gifts to Pakistan from Australia

15. safdar ali May 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

1. DIY Tufted Ribbon Memo Board | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - November 20, 2013

[…] Clipboard Photo Display […]