July 24, 2012

Sewing Project Planner (Free Printable)

Sewing is my true creative passion, and with four kiddos ranging in age from 9 months to 6 years, I am never in short supply of cute little models to outfit with my latest creations! The only problem? The hustle and bustle of our everyday routine limits the amount of time I get to spend at my sewing desk. Out of necessity, I have come up with a way to organize my sewing projects, which allows me to maximize my time and be as productive as possible. Today I’m going to share my little system with you!

Basically my sewing “system” contains two specific elements:

1. A project planning worksheet

Before I begin the creative process, I fill out a Sewing Project Planner (available for download below) for each project.

There are seven different fields in the planner: project description, made for, pattern, size, fabric, notions and project notes. The project notes section is particularly helpful, because as I make my way through a project, I can jot down helpful tips and adjustments I make to the pattern so I don’t have to reinvent the wheel the next time I tackle a project with the same pattern.

The beauty of this planner is that it not only keeps me organized and on top of things during the creative process, but it also doubles as a project journal that I can keep to refer to later on. Once a project is complete, I can snap a 4×6 photo to include with the project planner worksheet, so that when I want to use the same pattern or I am wanting to complete another similar project in the future, I can use that for reference. This is so incredibly helpful! The worksheet can be placed in a standard-sized 3-ring binder by punching holes along the top edge, or it can be cut in half with a paper trimmer along the designated cutting line so that the sheets can be placed in a smaller 3-ring binder. The choice is up to you!

2. A pre-planned sewing kit

Once I have filled out the project planner, I create a complete sewing kit that contains all of the different elements required to complete that project. When creating these kits, I will often sit down and cut out 3-4 different projects in one fell swoop, since the cutting portion is what I tend to find the most tedious. Once the cutting step is complete, I then gather all of the related notions, patterns and special supplies needed for that specific project.

When everything is gathered, I place the items in a gallon-sized zip-top bag to keep all of my elements consolidated, and I slip the Sewing Project Planner inside.

Now, when I get a free minute to sew, everything I need will be right at my fingertips! This has truly revolutionized my sewing life and enabled me to maximize my sewing time (read: nap time ;) to be as productive as possible.
If you would like to give my system a try, you can download my free Sewing Project Planner printable by clicking on the arrow at the bottom right-hand side of the download box below. This jpeg file is sized at 8.5×11. I print mine out using Picasa onto heavy cardstock so it will hold up to wear and tear over time. (If you are enjoying this post in a reader or by email subscription, you’ll have to click over to the blog for the download.)

Are you an organized sewist, or do you just create as the urge strikes? I would love to hear about your systems for creating!
Thanks so much for stopping in today!

18 Responses to Sewing Project Planner (Free Printable)

1. stockswife July 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

I wish I was organized. I usually just start on something and pull all the supplies together as I go along. I hope this sewing project planner will help me become more orgainized…..thanks so much for the download!

2. Simple Simon & Co July 24, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

I also use the ziplock bags to put everything in! It really is a super handy way to keep projects organized. But I’ve always just thrown the pattern, supplies, and fabric in the bag and have never written anything down on paper—so I love your cute planner idea! I am going to try it!
    liZ

3. Debbie July 24, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

Love the idea of the planner. I also use ziploc bags for projects. When I’m doing a hand sewing project, it is so easy to pick up the bag and head out the door knowing everything I’ll need is in there. The bags definitely do maximize your time spent actually sewing.

4. Brenda July 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

Thank you! This is invaluable advice for a newbie.

5. Amanda @ Serenity Now July 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

What a brilliant idea! I want to learn to do more with my sewing machine (desperately!), but just haven’t been able to. I love your planner idea!!

6. Cari July 24, 2012 at 11:55 pm #

This is a great idea!!! I often find myself overwhelmed with sewing projects for friends and myself. I can’t wait to give this a try!!
    Thanks for posting!

7. Krispy July 25, 2012 at 2:05 am #

This is fabulous!!!! Thanks so much, printing it as we speak, I can’t wait to get it all organised :)

8. Heather K. July 25, 2012 at 2:58 am #

Thanks so much for this download. I know this will keep me organized because I tend to start many projects at a time and forget the pattern I using, where it’s located, or which magazine it’s in. If I use this and cut things out a head of time, it will be much easier to sew when I have a free minute. I have 3 boys that are 6,4 and newborn. I’m hopeful this might increase my productivity!

9. Heather K. July 25, 2012 at 2:58 am #

10. PHunkyPuHnk July 25, 2012 at 3:00 am #

I really, really love this idea. I have lost buttons or forgotten which piece is which, or even forgotten why I was in the middle of making something. This system solves all of it! Thanks for sharing <3

11. Beverly {Flamingo Toes} July 25, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

How clever are you?! I love this Amy!! I am not organized AT ALL – but this looks liek a great way to keep my projects together! Thanks so much for the printable!

12. AZ Jane July 25, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

If you keep an eye out, you can sometimes find 2 and 2 and a half gallon zip lock bags. Very helpful with larger projects!! Thanks for the download!

• Mickey February 7, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

You’ll find those 2 or 2 1/2 gallon bags at Wally World. They’re great for large projects (like quilt squares) as well as layering dozens of cookies with wax paper in between (esp at Christmas time).

• Amy @ Positively Splendid February 8, 2013 at 7:27 am #

Great tip, Mickey! I’ll have to be on the lookout.

13. Bia July 25, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Last week I was thinking that I needed to make one of these! Now I don’t have to! YAY! Thanks so much.

14. irina July 26, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

Thank you so much for the idea! I’m a passionate sewer but also a fresh mommy to a six month old girl, and I’m having great difficulty integrating my life… It is so reassuring to know that there are moms out there in the world that manage to do it! I hope this planner will help me stay in touch and running with my sewing projects without getting crazy every time I have 5 minutes free! Thanks again

1. PinLaVie... Make your pins come true – Sewing Project Planner Printable - December 2, 2012

[…] Sewing Project Planner Printable […]

2. 7 Time-Saving Sewing Tricks | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - November 20, 2013

[…] a sewing project planner/journal for my projects. (I have a free copy of the printable for the Sewing Project Planner you can download here.) As I work, I take notes of different adjustments and tweaks I make to patterns, along with any […]