August 6, 2012

First Day of School Outfit

As I mentioned last week in my cupcake mishap post, last Friday marked my older daughter’s first day of kindergarten. I knew her outfit for the big day needed to be super special, so my mom (she’s known as Mama Reita around here) and I put our heads together to come up with something fun.
I have always loved the apple and bookworm fabric from the juvenile fabrics section at Jo-Ann, so when it came time to select fabric for this outfit, that was our jumping off point. Mama Reita sewed a darling simple bias-cut skirt using the Children’s Corner Sassy Skirts pattern, and then I set to work making a personalized tee to match.
Last year, my friend Bev from Flamingo Toes made a to-die-for cute potholder with a notebook paper motif, and I used that concept as the inspiration behind the design for this tee. I opted to make my “paper” a bit more like the Big Chief tablets I used when I went to Kindergarten many, many moons ago. (Remember those??) Let me show you how I did it!

For this project, you will need…
T-shirt
White fabric scrap
Washable ink marker
Clear ruler
Blue and red thread
Red single-fold bias binding
Black fabric marker
Apple motif fabric (I used a scrap of Alexander Henry Apples and Pears fabric)
Wonder Under
Buttons (optional)
To begin, cut your white fabric to 6×7″. Using your washable ink marker and ruler, measure down 1″ from one of the short (6″) sides of the piece and mark with a line. Measure down 1″ from your first line, and draw another line. Continue this process until you reach the end of your fabric piece, for a total of 6 lines. Your final line should be precisely 1″ from the bottom edge of your fabric piece.
Now, use your ruler to draw a line directly in between your first and second lines, your third and fourth lines, and your fifth and sixth lines. (There should be precisely 1/2″ between the center line and the other two lines.)
Refer to the diagram below.

When your lines are drawn, stitch over each one with blue thread, as shown. Note: There is no need to backtack at the beginning and end of your lines of stitching, since these outside edges will be bound with bias binding later on.

Using your washable ink marker and ruler, draw a line 1.5″ from one of the long (7″) sides of your patch. Stitch over this line with red thread.

Using a spool of thread, round off each of the four corners of your patch, as shown, and trim away with shears.

Apply bias binding around the perimeter of the patch. (Head over to Angry Chicken for an incredibly helpful and entertaining bias binding video tutorial.)

Use your fabric marker to write your chosen sentiment, using the lines of your “paper” as guides. You might want to sketch the wording with your washable ink marker before going for the gusto and using the indelible ink marker.

Apply Wonder Under to the back of your fabric apples according to the product instructions, and then use an iron to affix these onto the left-hand side of your patch, as shown. You can add even more pizzazz by including a fun button or two.

Stitch around the perimeter of the apples to affix them to your tee. Use a needle and thread to affix any buttons, if using.

Now, pin your completed patch to the front of your tee, and stitch around the outer edge to affix it to your tee.
All finished!
I made a fun little belt out of coordinating ribbon to complete the ensemble.

When does school begin in your neck of the woods? Have you starting thinking about first-day outfits yet?

Thanks so much for stopping in!

15 Responses to First Day of School Outfit

1. Bobbi Jo Supak August 6, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Texas schools don’t start until August 27th!

2. Annette Simpson August 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Cute outfit! We teachers start here this Wednesday but don’t have students until Monday the 13th. All my babies are grown up. One is starting her SR year of college and the other is starting her JR. Both are going to be teachers. :)

3. Vanessa August 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Hi, Amy

Super cute! Need to do this. Have a great day!

Vanessa

4. Grammy Goodwill August 6, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

That is the absolute cutest shirt I have ever seen. I wish my granddaughter’s grandmother could sew. (That would be me, hehehe.) She has one more year before she starts kindergarten.

5. Amanda @ Serenity Now August 6, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

Precious!! Oh, how I wish I was as handy with my sewing machine. Love the fabric. :) I bet she was just adorable in the outfit. My oldest doesn’t start 1st grade until the 21st. :)

6. kirstin @ kojodesigns August 6, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

LOVE it Amy! :)

7. Tonna @ Navy Wifey Peters/USS Crafty August 6, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

I absolutely LOVE this dress! I love how you made the notebook paper and the apples! Fabulous!!!!

8. LeighAnn August 6, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

So cute! I’ll bet she had a great day with an outfit like that!

9. Sue August 6, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Every aspect of this outfit is adorable~from top to bottom!

10. Doreen August 6, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

Come on! This is TOO cute.

11. Bonnie @ Uncommon August 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Precious Amy!!! I know she was the hit of the class!! ;)

12. Bonnie @ Uncommon August 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Precious Amy!!! I know she was the hit of the class!! ;)

13. Stone Cottage Adventures August 7, 2012 at 12:11 am #

Oh, wow! That is a darling outfit! -Marci

14. Leianne Stevens August 21, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

Simply adorable! I bet she looked amazing on her first day! Thank you for posting this; although it makes me grateful that I still have a few years before my Lily will be starting school; but sad because when she does go, she will be wearing a uniform.Oh well :-] Maybe I can create something like this for her to wear in pictures at least LOL.

15. Cristiane Leal January 28, 2013 at 6:31 am #

Minha primeira filha vai começar a estudar esse ano,achei sua ideia linda e original,com certeza vou fazer.
    Se quiser me visitar,fique à vontade,eu costuro tbem.Bjos