September 5, 2012

Sewing Room/Home Office Reveal

Welcome to my brand-new creative space, a room that is honestly a dream come true for me!

Until a couple of months ago, I never thought our small home had enough free space to dedicate a room entirely to my creative endeavors. Last year, one sweet baby boy gave us the best reason imaginable to convert what was at that point our bonus area and my potential sewing room into his nursery. Ever since, my sewing and crafting efforts have been relegated to the kitchen table or the desk in our master bedroom. I can’t begin to count the number of evenings that I’ve had to clear away mounds of sewing supplies, my machines, and my projects in progress in order to set the kitchen table for supper or climb into bed at night. With this new room, I now have a dedicated space where my creative juices can flow. I am so excited to give you the full tour!

After taking inventory or our home’s available space, my husband and I agreed that our formal dining area would be much better utilized as a home office. The only challenge with this space is that it is the very first thing you see when you walk through our front door. How would I design a creative space that was as stylish as it was functional? The Sewing Box was the answer to that conundrum. This cabinet allowed me to turn this small space into a veritable sewing command center without having our guests’ first impression of our home be a mess of sewing machines, notions and mounds of fabric.

Are you familiar with the dream where you suddenly realize that there is a room in your home that you never even knew existed, and you find yourself imagining all of the amazing things you will do with it? The Sewing Box is the closest thing I’ve ever experienced to having that dream come true. With this cabinet, if you have just one free wall available in your home, you have enough room for a dedicated sewing space of your very own. I have never felt more compelled to shout from the rooftops how much a product has truly revolutionized my life!

On the outside, it looks unassuming enough: just a nice piece of furniture with beadboard accents. Most would assume it is an armoire of some sort, probably hiding away a television or some other form of electronic equipment.

But oh! Look what is revealed when you take a peek inside!

In just a few moments’ time, this little cabinet transforms into something to make any sewist’s heart go pitter pat.

The design of this cabinet is absolutely ingenious. Every single feature a sewist could possibly wish for is all here: plenty of workspace, with abundant room for a serger and a standard machine, plus a fold-down desk on the right-hand side that can function as a cutting area or a general work surface.

And oh, the storage!

A thread organizer attaches to inside of the left-side door…

…and I found the shelves beneath to be the perfect size to accommodate the small galvanized buckets from the dollar section at Target and standard-sized plastic school supply boxes. Because the school supply boxes stack tidily and latch securely, they are terrific for holding just about any type of sewing notion under the sun.

A handy slide-out drawer ensures my most-used tools are easily accessible…

…and three storage bins are perfect for housing tools like shears, bobbins, pins and the like. I purchased 12×12″ drawer organizers from Target to tuck into the bottom of each one to maximize the storage space each had to offer.

Would you ever in a million years guess that all of that stuff is hidden away in one cabinet? Incredible, I know!
I wanted to wall behind the Sewing Box to be the focal point of the room, so I opted to give it a faux board and batten treatment like I used in my hallway command center earlier this year. I debated the paint color to use here for literally weeks before I finally went with my initial instinct and painted everything in a shade of vivid teal. I am so glad I did! I love the contrast of that saturated color against the bright white of the furniture pieces in the space. It makes everything feel so lively, yet polished.
For extra storage and a nice display, I mounted two 30-inch shelves above the Sewing Box. I purchased these at the Container store, and installing both of them was as simple as turning four screws into the wall. Even better, these beauties can each hold up to 100 pounds, so I can load them with books and other heavy items without ever giving it a second thought.
The shelves are the perfect place to store my favorite sewing and crafting books and display some decorative accents. I owe so much of my passion for creativity to my family, and specifically to my children, mom, dad and grandmother. This space is filled with items I have received from each of them over the years: photos of my children, paintings from my dad, vintage pieces from my grandma and knick-knacks from my mom. Those items give this space a meaningful, cozy feel, which I know will inspire my creativity for years to come!
I purchased four media boxes at Jo-Ann to display on the shelves, which are perfect for storing any number of crafting supplies and tools, and the price ($3 apiece) can’t be beat!

My mother-in-law made me this sweet little tiered tray for my birthday, and I decided it would be perfect to display beneath the shelves on top of my Sewing Box to hold loose buttons, pins, trims and such.

I purchased my desk from Home Decorators Collection as a birthday gift to myself. My mom helped me assemble it during her last visit, and we were very pleasantly surprised with how easily it went together.

I knew I needed an ergonomic, comfortable chair for this space, so I opted to purchase a standard rolling office chair to go with the desk. To give it some pizzazz, I outfitted it with a custom slipcover I sewed using some of my favorite Premier Fabrics.

This was my very first slipcover project, and I have to say that I am absolutely tickled with how it turned out!  (I’ll be sharing some slipcovering tips and tricks that I learned along the way soon.)

I used iron-on letters from Hobby Lobby to add a monogram accent to the back of the slipcover…

…and I accented the back with four pretty black buttons. (Reality check: these puppies are attached with hot glue.)

For the desk, I purchased a pretty lamp at Home Goods that came with a very simple white shade. A blank canvas! I punched it up a bit with a flower accent made from wool felt and a pretty, vintage-looking brooch. (I’ll be sharing a tutorial for these flowers in the coming weeks.)

Voila! Instant glamour.

This laminate bookshelf next to the desk is almost identical to the one I painted for George’s nursery, and I used the same method detailed in that post to give this one a similar facelift. The shelf was just deep enough to house my computer printer. I was so glad to be able to avoid the clutter of having to put it on top of the desk!
I made some custom magazine files to go on the shelves of the bookcase, along with other crafting, reference and cookbooks.

On the bottom shelf of the bookcase, I placed two of my diaper box canvas bins to house my camera and accessories. This no-sew version was so simple to make: we’re talking an hour from start to finish for both of these little guys. (A tutorial for these is coming soon.) I finished the bins off with a bow accent using my tutorial available through the PS Facebook page. If you haven’t already, head over to like PS on Facebook and download it for free!
The cabinet across the room, which I purchased a JC Penney a few years ago, is the perfect place to display a showy flower arrangement…

…and inside the cabinet you’ll find my sewing supply command center! I outfitted the insides of the doors with chalkboard vinyl and cork tiles so that I can stay nice and organized.

On the top shelf I placed a lazy Susan with metal containers from the dollar section at Target. This is the perfect spot to store all of my most-used crafting tools and products.

My fabric is folded up on the second set of shelves…

…and the bottom shelf is home to all of my kiddos’ crafting supplies. I found this cleaning caddy to be the perfect solution for holding all of their markers, paints, scissors and the like.

One final look at the finished space:

Thanks so much for stopping by to take this tour with me today! Be on the lookout in the coming weeks when I’ll be sharing project tutorials for many of the DIY projects in the space.
Resources

Sewing Cabinet – The Sewing Box from The Original Scrapbox
Storage Cabinet – JC Penney
Wall Shelves – The Container Store
Curtains – Urban Outfitters
Office Chair – Staples
Lamp – Home Goods

Serenity Now
Home Stories A to Z
Tidy Mom
Tatertots and Jello
Flamingo Toes
A Glimpse Inside
This post was sponsored by The Original Scrapbox.

Disclosure: I received compensation in the form of product to write this post. Rest assured that I am committed to sharing only products that I feel my readers will benefit from and enjoy, and all opinions expressed in this post are, as always, entirely my own.

70 Responses to Sewing Room/Home Office Reveal

1. Wow! What a beautiful space in which to unleash your creativity! Everything has a place, yet it all looks so put together. So glad you were able to make your dream a reality :)

2. Marty Walden September 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

All I have to say is……you rock! I am rueing the fact that I never learned to sew! I craft all the time but for some reason sewing seems to be calling my name. Here’s to the search for a cheap sewing machine! You did an amazing job and I know it makes you happy!

3. Nikki September 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

This is such a beautiful workspace, and talk about function! Great job.

4. rebecca @ beurrista September 5, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

You have inspired me to go and organize a nook in my house. Your sewing room/office looks absolutely amazing!

5. mwimp September 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

it is absolutely beautiful! we turned our formal dining room into my crafting area too! i don’t mind cleaning it all now that i actually use it everyday!

6. Sue September 5, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

WOW!!! Over-the-top, gorgeous efficiency!

7. Megan September 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

What a beautiful space, Amy! I definitely am having craft room envy, but hope to one day turn the office in our house into something similar. Thanks for the inspiration!

8. Jennie Larsen September 5, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

so fantastic, and beautiful. The chair and those felt bow boxes are my favorite detail. I would love a tut. on the yellow bows on the boxes. Great job Amy. hugs, jen

9. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} September 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Stunning! Just absolutely stunning, Amy. Every detail was so thought over. I just love it! I’m dying over the slip-covered desk chair. I can’t wait for the tute!

10. Crystal September 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

Absolutely LOVE it!!! You did an incredible job!! It’s beautiful!!

11. Purse-sonality Plus September 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

You did an awesome job, I am so jealous. Adopt me!

12. Richella September 5, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

Hip, hip, HOORAY! This is. . . well. . . positively splendid! How could I ever come up with better words to describe this space? It’s wonderful. You should be proud of your hard work. I know you’re thrilled with the results–who wouldn’t be? Enjoy your special space!

13. casadeberry September 5, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

It’s awesome – what a sweet room to call your own! As someone who shares her office space with dinosaurs and goldfish I can only say – congratulations!!!

14. mommyofthree September 5, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

Absolutely inspiring room! I loved everything you did with this space, especially the sewing cabinet and slipcover for the chair! Wonderful job! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

15. Karen's Ideas Galore September 5, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

Impressive! My girlfriend is just beginning to transform her spare bedroom into a space like this — full of invaluable ideas! (I’m sending her the link!!!)

16. Lookiewhatidid September 5, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Your space is absolutely beautiful. So much to take in and it all looks amazing. Love all of the small details too. Great job!!!!!

17. nest of posies September 5, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

oh Amy!!! this is a wonderful space! look at that sewing hutch box! how awesome is that. great space & i love seeing your personality in every corner!

beautiful!
    xo
    kellie

18. Laurel Stephens September 5, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

What a stunning room. I love the colors! I can picture you spending hour after hour of happy creating here.

19. Becky September 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

Wow and I want! :) Congrats and hopefully someday I can afford to do this too. I think I might add the EZ View desk to give me more crafting possibilities as well :)

20. Megan Smith (aka Daisymeh) September 5, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Gorgeous space Amy! Love it!

21. Al@PolkaDotsandPaisley September 5, 2012 at 11:01 pm #

What a fantastic, organized workspace. I dream of someday having something like it for myself.

22. Allison {A Glimpse Inside} September 5, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

It looks fantastic Amy!! I love it! That sewing cabinet is awesome! I may have to look into that and I LOVE your chair! I have a plain hold desk/computer chair as well and I never thought about making a slip cover for it! Have fun in your new room!

23. UKMUMINUSA September 5, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

Your room is beautiful, its so fantastic to have your own space to create in, I too just got my own space and blogged about it on my blog. Enjoy your new space.

24. Kathleen September 6, 2012 at 12:16 am #

This is so awesome! I love the entire room and would love to duplicate it in my home!

25. pennykitz September 6, 2012 at 1:11 am #

This is a dream of mine….
    Beautiful!!!!

26. JHahn September 6, 2012 at 1:19 am #

REALLY beautiful and functional! You could even spray paint the legs of the chair that peak out. Lots of options with that.
    I’m getting my studio this month after 7 years of waiting! Bought some pieces online (craigslist) and painted some others. My husband built in storage in the closet to my requirements (he’s an engineer). It’s perfect now! I picked out a soft buttery yellow for the walls. I still need to paint the closet doors (it was bedroom).
    This is the really crazy part….my husband has his office next door and since we’re empty nesters we decided to cut out an “window” opening between the two rooms so we can be together! He framed it out nicely. It will be simple to put back as two bedrooms. Now we can chat and still keep our separate space!

27. Two Shades of Pink September 6, 2012 at 1:33 am #

Amy, your sewing studio is breathtaking!!! I love all your organizing tips and I love that it does all this hard work while looking serene with all the doors closed. A truly inspired space and Im smitten with all your DIY touches!

28. Amanda @ Serenity Now September 6, 2012 at 2:14 am #

One word: WOW!!!!

29. Maureen Hayes September 6, 2012 at 2:29 am #

I am so happy for you with this lovely room! I have always wanted a scrapbox, but sadly I cannot afford one. I am glad you were able to get the sewing box. Would you consider making a slipcover like yours for me if I paid for it? I have the same chair and would love to have a beautiful cover like this. I can’t sew for beans. Please let me know. . .

30. Rhonie K September 6, 2012 at 2:38 am #

Love. I love this space, everything about it, except for the fact that it’s not in my house. Wonderful job.

31. The Bean Sprout Notes September 6, 2012 at 2:59 am #

WOW! What a beautiful yet functional space to work in. I can’t believe how efficient your two main cabinets are. From the surface, you would never guess that all your tools and supplies were neatly tucked inside. LOVE IT!

32. Rhonda September 6, 2012 at 3:43 am #

What an amazing, happy place for you to create! Love…

33. Beverly {Flamingo Toes} September 6, 2012 at 4:44 am #

Wow Amy!! This is such a pretty room! I am loving all the little touches you did – it’s so feminine! I bet you just love spending time in there! (Oh – and I need that chair. And the lamp. :)

34. Unknown September 6, 2012 at 6:05 am #

Swoon! Love your space…you even have a nice window! Where do you keep your ironing board?

35. Sandy September 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Awesome space. Thanks for sharing with us. Nothing can stop us when we get creative!!! :)

36. Amy September 6, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

I LOVE all the colors you mixed together! I can do “crafty” things but I have “color block” terribly bad! That’s where I get stuck! I’m simply trying to put curtains in our new home and I can’t get past WHICH color to pick!

37. Kathryn Ferguson Griffin September 6, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

Oh, My! This is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I’m in love with the slipcover you made for your office chair. You’ve got my wheels turning. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from A Glimpse Inside. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-13.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

38. Morgan September 6, 2012 at 11:48 pm #

Your sewing room looks amazing!! I love the colors you used.

39. Erin {Home Everyday} September 7, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

What a beautiful space to create! I love all the small details you added to the room such as the Container Store Shelves and the Home Goods Lamp. I cannot WAIT to see the tutorial on how to make that fab flower you adorned the lamp with. Also, the board and barton was a wonderful idea. Nice work. Enjoy a space all to yourself :)

40. domestiCate September 8, 2012 at 2:12 am #

This is absolutely incredible! I am so jealous! That sewing cabinet is a miracle, and your slipcovered office chair is genius! I assumed it was some sort of high end custom chair. Well done!

41. Mel September 8, 2012 at 5:26 am #

So jealous! I am now slightly in love by your chair. Many thanks for the hot glue comment, buttons scare me. You must be over the moon looks fantastic!

42. Emily September 8, 2012 at 6:31 am #

wow… just a bit envious at the moment. The whole room turned out amazing! Well done!

43. Michelle September 10, 2012 at 1:33 am #

This is gorgeous! You did an amazing job on your first slip cover. So impressed! Love all the color and details that scream Amy. So beautiful just like you!

44. Alison @ Oopsey Daisy September 10, 2012 at 4:49 am #

Everything is beyond amazing, Amy!! :) What a fun space!

45. kirstin @ kojodesigns September 10, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

FABULOUS! Seriously, everything is so fantastic! I am getting a new studio/craft room soon, and it’s right next to the kitchen, so I need to make it clean and neat and organized like you.
    Totally copying your covered magazine files.
    love
    k

46. shoesoffplease September 10, 2012 at 11:50 pm #

This post quite literally makes me want to take up sewing. I love all the thought and details that went into everything. Your systems are functional and beautiful-the best combo!

47. Carissa Rasmussen September 11, 2012 at 2:10 am #

what a perfect creative space. I am definitely going to save up for that sewing cabinet. I love how you’ve decorated too. Came over from skiptomylou and am definitely a new follwer:)

48. Linda @ it all started with paint September 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

I, too, struggle with space for my sewing and Etsy shop supplies and find myself taking over the dining room. Love all your storage ideas and that Sewing Box is amazing! Truly! So I pinned it …

Linda

49. Celeste September 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

An absolutely lovely room. You did a great job and packed so much into a small space.

50. Courtney September 13, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

Stunning! This is so fun! I LOVE it! I would love if you would share this at my Crazy Cute Party happening right now! I’ve got a totally awesome giveaway that you could win just for linking up! Come on over! ;D

Between U & Me Blog

Oh! And I’m your newest follower!

51. Claire September 15, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

Hi-Just wanted you to know I featured your gorgeous sewing/office space on my Saturday favs! Have a great weekend-Claire

52. Deb September 16, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

Love your sewing space….makes me what to go tidy my space up a bit, might make me a little more productive! Thanks for sharing, look forward to the sewing chair tutorial and the flower on your lamp!

53. mnemosyneblog September 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

Oh my goodness!! Your room looks amazing! I can not wait for my day when I can have my own space to create. This can be a huge inspiration :)

54. Cristiana September 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

Oh my goodness!! what a beautiful room you have!! So glad I found your blog!! I will be talking lots of your ideas to incorporate into my room!! :)

55. Lauren September 25, 2012 at 11:08 am #

What a beautiful space! And, I love your office chair slipcover. I see so many chairs I would love, but alas the practical side of me says stick with my office chair for function and comfort. I currently have 2 unfinished slipcover projects but this is next on the list! :D

56. Jodie February 3, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

Your sewing room is so beautiful. Mine is so cluttered with all kinds of furniture. I am currently doing a de-stash of patterns and material. I even have too many scissors, it is horrific! I do not even want to go in there. I have looked at yours several times and makes me dream!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid February 4, 2013 at 2:22 pm #

Thanks so much, Jodie. I know how overwhelming it can be; I was in the same boat before my room overhaul. Good luck!

1. Felt Poppy Tutorial (Easy Felt Flowers) | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - November 10, 2012

[...] for easy handmade felt poppies is one I recently came up with to accent the desk lamp shade in my sewing room and home office, and these flowers are so deceptively easy to make that I know I’ll be using them in many [...]

2. Wrapping Paper-Covered Monogram Lampshade | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 1, 2013

[...] new shade looks so terrific on the lamp base on the desk in my sewing room/home office! (I moved the previous lampshade from this space into my bedroom, which is currently a decorating [...]

3. DIY Valentine's Day Mantel Decor | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 10, 2013

[...] hung above a large framed mirror, which actually usually lives above the storage cabinet in my sewing room and home office. I am the queen of swapping out different objects throughout my house, much to the chagrin of my [...]

4. Valentine's Day Tree Vignette | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - February 11, 2013

[...] storage cabinet in my sewing room is a perfect blank slate on which to display seasonal decor. It’s actually one of the first [...]

5. The Sewing Box in Action (Plus A Promotion!) | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 5, 2013

[...] this month, I shared the full reveal of my brand-new sewing room and home office. I am delighted to say that after three weeks of settling into my new space, I love this room even [...]

6. DIY Magazine Files (Free Template) | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 5, 2013

[...] week, I’m sharing some of the DIY organizational projects I completed for my new sewing room and home office. One of my main challenges in this tight space was finding a way to keep everything organized [...]

7. No-Sew Storage Bins from Diaper Boxes | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - March 5, 2013

[...] week, I shared the details about my brand-new home office and sewing room, a small space that is big on hidden storage. One of my favorite ways to maximize the functionality [...]

8. Make a DIY Monogrammed Lacy Spring Tote! -- Tatertots and Jello - March 7, 2013

[...] For the monogram on my bag, I used my CAMEO to cut the lettering from vinyl using the Script Monogram designs from the Silhouette Online Store. No die cutter at your disposal? Don’t worry! You can also create a monogram with stencils and fabric paint, or for an embroidered look, use iron-on embroidered decals like the ones I used in my office chair slipcover. [...]

9. Lace-Embellished Spring Tote Bag | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - April 1, 2013

10. Office Chair Slipcover Tutorial and Slipcover Tips | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - April 3, 2013

[...] I completed my sewing room/home office last year, I knew I needed a comfortable chair for sewing, and one that was preferable on wheels [...]

11. 7 Time-Saving Sewing Tricks | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - July 9, 2013

[...] and less time hunting for that one supply you know you have, but can’t seem to locate. My sewing room and home office post is full or great ideas for keeping your supplies organized, even in the smallest of [...]

12. HomeGoods | Ask the Blogger: How to Make a Guest/Sewing/Reading Room - September 19, 2013

[…] on the link to Positively Splendid for more photos of this fabulous room. You’ll be surprised to see where the sewing machine is […]

13. DIY Pegboard Craft Room Organizer | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} - October 17, 2013

[…] And for plenty more great creative space organizing tips, be sure to check out my creative space in our former home. […]