December 15, 2012

The Helpers

There are some days that just change things forever. Defining, earth-shattering moments, the consequences of which shake our world to its very foundation and cause us to see everything differently.

In light of the horrific tragedy that transpired yesterday in Connecticut, I simply couldn’t rationalize proceeding with business as usual with the Saturday 7 Party. We will resume next week, but tonight, I wanted to pass along something to you–a beautiful quote shared by a friend on Facebook, which I, in turn, am sharing with all of you.

Friends, the sadness of this entire situation is stifling. This is a scary, broken world.

But as we grapple to wrap our minds around the enormity of this horrific situation, let us not forget the helpers.

The teachers and administrators with whom we entrust our most precious treasures each and every day, who dedicate their lives to loving our children: they are the helpers.

The first responders who face tragedy with skill and unfathomable grace under pressure: they are the helpers.

The prayer warriors around the country and the world who are on their knees pleading for peace for the parents of each of those precious children, for the husbands and wives, sons and daughters, of each of the adult victims: they are the helpers.

Each of us who wishes to stand up and prove that mercy triumphs and goodness perseveres: we are the helpers.

The printable above is for each one of you to use as many times as you like. Simply click on the image to be taken to the download page, where you can choose either an 8×10 or a 5×7 size. I encourage you to consider printing it to send to your child’s teacher on Monday. To their school administrators. To parents you might know whose breath is taken away at the thought of sending their children out from the protection of the family nest into a world that is full of indescribable depravity. To any child struggling to comprehend why bad things happen to good people.

Mr. Rogers, even at 31, I am still learning life lessons from you. Thank you, sir.

Good night.

10 Responses to The Helpers

1. Allison December 15, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

As a teacher and a stepmom, thank you. This post has given me a feeling of hope and optimism in the midst of the negativity I have been feeling all day.

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 15, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

It has been a painful day for so many, Allison. I am so glad this helped you a bit.

2. Audra @ Renewed Projects December 15, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

Very well put. One is hard-pressed to understand this tragic event. Thank you for extending a different perspective. Printing out the quote.

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 15, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

Thank you, Audra.

3. Cindy Eikenberg December 16, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Amy, thank you for sharing this lovely quote and your thoughts. It was indeed difficult for business as usual yesterday. In the midst of such incomprehensible tragedy and horror, we can only keep them all in our prayers. To all the teachers and “helpers” around us, thank you for your devotion, strength and caring.

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 17, 2012 at 9:08 am #

Thanks for your kind words, Cindy!

4. Sue Davidson December 16, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Words of wisdom come from many places and can be templated to many different situations. This quote from the child expert himself, Fred Rogers is no exception. He was a life lesson teacher in his simplest of words speak yet they spoke so loudly. Thank you for this post. Being a first grade teacher, this tragedy weighs heavy on my heart and mind. I would like to post this quote from Mr. Rogers for sure in my classroom. Thanks so, so much for sharing! Love your blog posts!

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 17, 2012 at 9:07 am #

Thanks so much, Sue!

5. Carol December 17, 2012 at 8:49 am #

I just want to thank you for this message of hope. I have shared it with a group I email regularly and my Bible study group.

• Amy @ Positively Splendid December 17, 2012 at 9:07 am #