What would you say if I told you my best sewing tips are some of the simplest? Today I’m sharing five simple techniques and tricks that will immediately improve the quality of your sewing projects and help you take your sewing to the next level!
1. Always press as you go.
2. Finish your seams.
3. Pre-wash your fabrics for items that will be laundered.
4. Use the right needle.
- Denim/Jeans sewing needles will save you immense frustration when sewing through multiple layers of heavy fabrics like canvas. Remember the slipcover I stitched for my sewing room chair? A denim needle was crucial for that project, as I was sewing through many layers of home dec fabric, plus the piping I inserted in some of the seams.
- When doing marine vinyl applique on pillows, I couldn’t live without leather needles. The pointed end of these needles is essentially like a little knife of sorts, cutting cleanly and easily through the thickness of the vinyl as you sew. This is the type of needle I used for my monogram pillow covers for my front porch last summer.
- When doing t-shirt upcyles like my Ruffled Bolero, ball-point needles are a must, as they prevent runs and damage when sewing jersey knits. The rounded tip of these needles separate the fibers of the knit as you sew without cutting any of the fibers. It is incredibly important, however, to always switch out your ball-point needle for a regular sharp needle when sewing woven fabrics, as ball-point needles can snag and damage these fabrics.
5. Clean and maintain your machine.
I hope you’re inspired to see that just minor changes can make a big difference in the outcome of your sewing projects!
What are your best sewing tips? I would love for you to share!