Each year, it seems like the advent of spring brings plenty of gift-giving opportunities! With Mothers’ Day, graduations, weddings and more, I am always looking for easy handmade gift ideas. These little polka-dotted trinket dishes can be whipped up in no time flat, and they only cost a mere $1 or so to make. They are perfect for holding just about anything: jewelry, keys, sewing notions, small office supplies like paperclips or thumb tacks…you name it! Let me fill you in on how easily these little gems come together.
For this project, you will need…
- 4-1/4″ terra cotta saucer (I found mine at my local garden shop for 50 cents apiece)
- Acrylic craft paint in white and at least one additional accent color
- Foam brush
- Foam pouncer
- Spray sealer (optional, but adds durability to the finished project)
- Using the foam brush, paint 2-3 even layers of white acrylic paint on the inside of the saucer, allowing the paint to dry between each coat. Set aside to dry completely.
- Use the foam pouncer and the accent color paint to create a polka dot pattern on the inside bottom of the saucer. Set aside to dry.
- If desired, spray the finished saucer with the sealer, allowing to dry for at least 24 hours before use.
You are finished!
How perfect would one of these be to give a new bride to use as a wedding ring holder, possibly outfitted with her new monogram? Or for a teacher to put on her desk to hold paperclips and other small office supplies? Or for Mom to place on the entry table to hold her keys when she walks through the door? So many possibilities for such a sweet and simple project!
Wanting even more easy gift ideas to add to your arsenal? Check out these others from the PS archives!