There really is no appetizer recipe more perfect for making and serving at parties than a cheese ball! My take on a classic cheese ball is this delicious recipe I’m sharing today, which has a tangy cream cheese and cheddar filling that is coated with a generous amount of bacon, pecans and green chiles. This cheese ball recipe is perfect for serving with crackers, and it is sure to be a hit at any gathering. Continue reading to grab the recipe to add to your entertaining lineup.
This post contains affiliate links.
How to Make a Cheese Ball
One thing I love about this cheese ball is that the process for making it really couldn’t be simpler. A handy food processor does all of the hard work for you! Simply place the filling ingredients in the food processor and pulse to combine, and then form into a ball and chill.
The thing that really makes this cheese ball stand apart from the rest is the unexpected hint of spice in the coating from my favorite ingredient: New Mexico green chile! You can either use freshly roasted and peeled green chiles for this recipe, or you can make things even easier by using canned green chile. Combined with browned, crumbled bacon and toasted pecans, this combination of flavors makes the perfect cheese ball coating!
For serving, crackers are the perfect way to enjoy this cheese ball. A handy cheese spreader will help guests portion out servings of the cheese ball onto their plates.
Green Chile Bacon Cheese Ball
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce I used sriracha
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 5 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 3 Hatch green chiles roasted, peeled and diced (you can also use a 4-ounce can green chile)
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans toasted
- Combine cream cheese, cheddar, garlic powder, cumin, hot sauce, lime juice and soy sauce in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add half of the bacon and half of the green chile, and pulse 3-4 times until just combined. (Reserve the remaining bacon and green chile for coating the cheese ball later on.) Test for seasoning, and add salt, if needed, pulsing 2-3 times to combine. Line a medium bowl with plastic wrap, and spoon the cream cheese mixture into the bowl. Bring the outside edges of the plastic wrap together and twist at the top to seal. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- In a shallow dish (a pie plate works well), combine the reserved bacon and green chile, along with the pecans. Stir to combine. Remove the wrapped cream cheese mixture from the freezer, and discard the plastic wrap. Shape the cream cheese mixture into a ball, and then roll in the bacon/chile/pecan mixture, coating all sides. Place the ball onto the center of a serving dish, and surround with crackers. Allow to sit for 30 minutes before serving.
Once your cheese ball is prepped and ready, place it on a pretty serving dish, and surround with your favorite crackers. Enjoy!
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.