Add a bright pop of citrus flavor to your daily breakfast or snack routine by preparing a loaf of this lovely, easy-as-pie citrus tea bread. Topped with a bright citrus glaze and a gorgeous mixture of lemon and lime zest and sugar, this bread features a crumb that mimics the taste and texture of pound cake. Pretty enough to serve guests, yet easy enough to make in minutes, this a quick bread recipe you’ll definitely want to add to your regular arsenal! Read on the grab the full recipe.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon flaked coconut (optional)
- Beat softened butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add the 1 cup granulated sugar, mixing until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until incorporated after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the milk, mixing at low speed just until blended, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon and lime zest. Add 1 tablespoon of the zest mixture to the batter, reserving the remaining tablespoon for the zest topping.
- Spoon the prepared batter into a greased and floured 8x4-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, in a medium bowl, combine the powdered sugar, lemon and lime juice and vanilla extract, whisking well to combine. Drizzle over the cooled loaf. Combine the remaining lemon and lime zest with the 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and the flaked coconut, if using. Sprinkle on top of the bread.
Quick breads are, by far, one of my favorite things to bake. They can be made in no time at all, and they are perfect for serving as a quick breakfast or a yummy afternoon snack! Here are some of my other favorite quick bread recipes:
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.