One of my favorite parts about the holidays is planning and preparing festive meals for friends and family. I love to set a festive holiday table that is inviting for our guests, and the cutlery stockings I’m sharing today are a terrific way to add some fun to any place setting! These are also perfect for buffet-style meals, as they allow guests to easily grab their utensils as they go through the line. Are you ready to see how easily these come together? Let’s get started!
For this project, you will need…
Cutlery stocking templates (Click the link at left for the free download)
- Burlap (I am loving all of the cute printed burlap that is so popular right now!)
- Buttons (optional)
- Hot glue
- Sewing machine
- Coordinating thread
- To begin, download and print the cutlery stocking templates (linked above). For each stocking, cut 2 stocking body pieces from the burlap (make sure these are cut as mirror images of one another), 1 felt bow piece, and 1 felt bow center piece.
- Place the 2 stocking pieces together, wrong sides facing. Machine stitch around the perimeter of the piece, leaving the top open. I used a blanket stitch, but you could use any type of decorative stitch, or even a simple straight stitch.
- Fold the left and right side tabs toward the bow center, so they overlap at the center of the piece. Secure with hot glue. Wrap the bow center piece around the center of the bow to conceal the overlapping edges. Secure with hot glue.
- Use hot glue to affix the bow to the front of the stocking. Important: Make sure to hold the stocking open until the glue is dry to prevent the stocking from being glued shut! Affix a button to the center of the bow with hot glue, if desired.
You are finished!
Once you get the hang of how to make these, you can easily complete one from start to finish in 5 minutes (or less!).
I love how the bow embellishment really sets these off. You could also use the same bows to add a cute touch to your holiday gift wrapping!
Wanting even more great ideas for adding some holiday flair to your home?
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.