Outfit your kiddos in style for back-to-school season by placing some cool firework pencils in their supply boxes. Janel from Nellie Bellie is here today with the complete how-to for these fancied-up pencils that require just three simple supplies to make, and as a result they cost just a fraction of the $12 price tag asked for the set they were inspired by from Anthropologie. These would be a terrific craft project to make with your kids!
Oh Happy Day! It’s my turn here at Positively Splendid! I’m not sure when you all start school (I believe many have already started! yikes!) but we start in a couple of weeks here in Minnesota (said like this…minne-sOt-dah). So, back to school is on the brain all the time. My kids are getting their gear in order. Actually, they are mostly telling their mom (me!) what gear they want…and in which order.
So, today’s cute little project is in keeping with getting your kids ready to be successful in school. Okay, not really. This project is just about looking cool and has nothing to do with success in school. But, my kids like to try to tell me that if they are cool…they will be more successful. Hmmmm. So far, that hasn’t helped them get fancy pants stuff. But, nice try kids!
I was browsing through Anthropologie and came across a set of pencils that were adorable. And … $12.00 for 6.
Let’s get crafty and make them ourselves…
- ModPodge (school glue will work as well)
- Wrap the pencil in washi tape. Be sure to leave a bit of the pencil unwrapped to allow for sharpening.
- Attach a strip of washi to the top of the pencil (near the eraser) only attaching the very bottom of the strip.
- Fold over the exposed section of the strip of washi on to itself.
- Repeat many, many times.
- If using wide washi…cut the finished strips in half lengthwise.
- Use a contrasting color washi to add an stripe at the seams where your washi meet.
- To keep strong and user-friendly Mod Podge (or cover in diluted white glue) your pencils. Let dry.
Now you have “cool” pencils…the cheap way! Of course, you’ll have to go buy erasers now. Which, may not end up saving you money. But hey…noone else will have pencils like these at school! Winner!
Please be sure and stop by NellieBellie and say hi! If you are on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, or Instagram you can find me there as well! I love new friends! And you look like a promising candidate!