Delight little ones in your life with delicious sugar cookies that contain a colorful surprise inside! These rainbow cookies feature a sweet, buttery sugar cookie crumb that is studded with a rainbow of fruit slice candies. These cookies are perfect for a St. Patrick’s Day theme, but they are delicious any day of the year!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 20 rainbow fruit slice candies, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar crystals
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add the granulated sugar and beat until mixture is fluffy, about one minute. Add the eggs, cream of tartar, baking soda, vanilla and salt, and beat until combined. Gradually add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition, stopping as needed to scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Stir in the fruit slice candies. Cover and chill for 2-3 hours, until mixture is very firm. (If you are in a hurry, you can alternatively place the dough in the freezer for a half hour, allowing it to sit out for 10 minutes or so before proceeding with the next step.)
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls, and roll each ball in the sugar crystals. Place cookies on greased cookie sheets, and bake at 375 for 8 minutes. (Do not overbake; cookies will appear quite soft when you remove them from the oven, but they will firm up as they cool.) Cool on a wire rack.
- This dough is also perfect for making simple sugar cookies with no add-ins. Add a festive touch by rolling them in colored sugars. So many options!
On the outside, these cookies look just like a standard sugar cookie…
…but one bite reveals a tasty rainbow surprise!
Craving even more sweet treats? Check out these yummy recipes!
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.