I feel like this post should be titled something like, “You made bread out of what?!“ This gorgeous, delicious quick bread recipe is made possible with the magic of a very unlikely ingredient that you might associate more with dinner at a Mexican food restaurant than at your breakfast table: avocado! Because avocados are a superfood powerhouse of good-for-you omega-3 fats, there is absolutely no added oil, butter or shortening required for this recipe. Infused with the vibrant flavors of citrus and cinnamon, the avocado melds into the bread and doesn’t impart a recognizable flavor. You really must try it to believe it!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed avocado
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, plus more for topping, if desired
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1-2 teaspoons lime juice
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, zest, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg and buttermilk. Whisk in avocado and lime juice until smooth. Add wet ingredients all at once to dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon just until all flour is moistened. (Mixture will be very thick.) Stir in walnuts and cranberries.
- Pour prepared batter into a greased 8.5x4.5-inch loaf pan, and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan before inverted onto a wire rack.
- For the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, vanilla and orange juice and lime juice in a small bowl. Whisk well to combine, adding more juice as necessary to achieve a drizzling consistency. Pour the prepared glaze over the cooled bread, and top with additional walnuts, if desired.
Needing even more breakfast and brunch inspiration? Check out these yummy recipes, too!
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.